Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm from Canada (Quebec) and just received by mail a Product Update from Honda Canada dated October 2007.
Product Update:
To prevent premature deterioration of the catalytic converter, the software in your vehicle should be updated to the current version. Earlier production vehicles that do not have re-writable software will have the engine control module (ECM) replaced.
Anybody else got that mail?
Thanks!

Christian
2001 Insight - Canada - #78

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks for letting me know,
I've moved since I bought my used Insight so Honda Canada doesn't have my current address, I need to let them know so they mail me info like this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes I got the exact same recall letter and went to ge the ecu replaced... 2000 and 2001 models can't have the sotware rewritten off the ecu so the whole module has to be replaced. So that's exactly what I did.

The car is running just fine after the upgrade and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for your reply.

I'll probably do this recall sometime during the next 2 weeks.

Christian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update has been done today (this morning). Everything seems to be as it was before.

I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.

Christian

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks for that, Christian. Hey, what a great name ;)

Cheers
Christian aka The Citrus Smoothie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi all,

I had this recall done on my '01. The car performs just as it always had with the following two differences noted:

1) When you get into 'lean burn' and the computer does whatever it does that causes the fuel consuption to increase - the time that this lasts has changed from six seconds to eight seconds. Since this upgrade was to prevent pre-mature failure of the catalytic converter, this longer period must be part of the cure.

2) I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the 'state of charge' is one tick higher than it used to be when the charging stops during a steady cruise.

Can anyone else confirm my observations?

Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Christian,
can you send me a copy of this letter. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
BillR said:
Hi all,
1) When you get into 'lean burn' and the computer does whatever it does that causes the fuel consuption to increase - the time that this lasts has changed from six seconds to eight seconds. Since this upgrade was to prevent pre-mature failure of the catalytic converter, this longer period must be part of the cure.
Can you elaborate on this? For example, describing what you are observing on the instant MPG graph? I've found the time to be under 2 seconds from the time the car is in lean burn range until lean burn can be felt kicking-in. 6 seconds would be quite a bit higher then I've observed, 8 seconds would border on unacceptable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think he might be refering to when the insight switches out of lean burn mode to normal operation to "clean" the NOx out of the second cat. My car is typically in that range roughly 6 seconds right now... makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts