Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
I still have a goodly amount of software to write. The BCM replacer has a boot up issue as it takes a while to get all the CAN data so the MCM throws a hissy fit at being told 'no volts!' over BATSCI. I now have a second board so I can do some work off the car and have a permanent on car test rig.
I suggest store the total battery voltage at shutdown in eeprom and then use that at next startup until all the CAN readings are in.

You can use an IGN switched circuit to tell your teensy board when to store the data.

I presume it is powered from the 12V IGN hold line or from the MCM 5V bus which stays on for about 5 seconds after the ignition is switched off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just a very uneventful update as its been a week. The pack is doing what the pack should. Black-cat keeps giving me incremental software updates to try and break my car :) so I now have sensible upper and lower voltage limits for assist and regen. Qbatt has been implemented with a 4 position rotary switch and works as expected. I'm trying to get some decent charge into the batteries, so driving everywhere in 3rd gear set to 20% SOC which stuffs 10-20A into the pack. I still cannot get any heat from the battery pack, the DC-DC/invertor combo is toasty, I could warm pies on that heatsink tunnel, but the batteries just stay stone cold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It is good fun trying to break your car :) I now have all the bits to get blue wired up. Sitting on the edge of the boot with the laptop on my knees is not fun! Then again blue has no seats at the moment.

I've got all the IMA lines broken out on the next loom and the dash display/control PCBs turn up on Monday.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not a lot to be honest. I've been driving mine as is and it behaved pretty much fine. Well the battery bit has... the shell is letting water into the passenger footwear down the firewall behind the massive foam and MLV matting that is on there for sound proofing. I've currently hot the carpets and passenger seat out trying to work out how little I can get away with removing to get behind the blower motor and associated bits. Black-cat is doing some proper cell mounting frames currently, then its back to code and I'll be tidying up some wiring. Next step beyond that is more power Igor! And probably some new front suspension, and fit my stereo properly, and put the interior back together, and sort the cruise control out.

I've been mostly held up by a stupid audi of mine which is in the air while the engine is on the floor having new head gaskets. Once that is running again hybrid high jinx will continue.

Oh and a work colleague of mine likes your CR-Z a lot!

·
Administrator
12,616 Posts
Oh and a work colleague of mine likes your CR-Z a lot!
Had >20kw out of that now ;)

Thanks for the update, please keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Unfortunately work and a load of 'things to get done before the weather gets bad' have taken priority. Including redecorating the house!

I have on my desk the dash PCBs and have tested the screen but done nothing else with them yet. One the main issues has been very late post. A fair amount of downtime waiting for silly little things.
But we have the first battery cradle welded, powder coated and has the packs mounted (Puggie has pics) and the second cradle is 90% done.

We're also chasing leaks but nothing like as bad :)

·
Super Moderator
8,774 Posts
PS. Yes, my workshop is a dump at the moment! Too many parallel projects.
So is mine. I admire those folks who can keep a tidy workshop:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
The braid was on the BMW cables, but I think I get it for work from either Frost EV / Raffenday or possibly Hilltop products. I'm looking for a good green at the moment, if I find a nice orange i will send you a link.

MCM still fits on the cells more or less in the OE spot and the BCM has gone but we have our own board to house in there.

·
Linsight Designer
2,068 Posts
Howdy tinkerers... I'm not sure how I missed this thread for so long, but great work! Peter and I are discussing implementing a similar solution for the G3 Honda Insight lithium packs:

After reading over your thread here, it looks like y'all have already implemented a good portion of the firmware architecture we've dreamed up. Are y'all making your code public? Our system is essentially the same as yours, except that our batteries don't have an integral BMS (so we're making our own). If we could use your existing code, then all I'd need to do is mimic the BMW's CAN bus behavior, which would greatly simplify our project.

Let us know if y'all are interested in sharing your firmware.

Also, if there are any electrical roadblocks y'all need help with, Peter and I are avid IMA tinkerers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The plan is to make it public as it is based on several community projects. It would be rude to hide it away! But as its still in prototype we are keeping it hidden from general view.

Family issues, awful weather, work, more critical things that needed doing etc. have put this project very much on the back burner. I hope to get back to it soon!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts