Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
JIME I think you mean BCM Fooler (resistor matrix), not the BCM Interceptor (SOC faker etc).

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
No, I actually did mean the Interceptor. I don't think he has one and I wanted to get him up to speed on SOC management. Of course he should read about the Fooler, but I "think" he has a basic level of understand there - looks to be the case. Bottom line, he should be familiar with both and how they help "manage" a converted pack and mitigate the problems which ensue.

In fact, there seems to be a lot of critical information which he has not read, so I am encouraging his to read more background threads. I want to disabuse him of the idea that there anything resembling "plug-in" about this conversion. He is learning, hopefully fast enough, and I know he is reading this but I figure it is all worth saying.

He seems to be waiting for some early testing of the BCM Replacer before he advances his conversion with that. According to an earlier post, he wanted to run the 60 cell "Atheos" conversion just as an interim step.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a blown 100 amp fuse, so I have taken this opportunity to pull the hv contactor so that I can test it (it was fine), and I have converted to the 72 cell configuration so that I can have an even pack split. Since the new fuses will take a few days to arrive, I will likely have time to install the mounting hardware that I have designed, and to ohm out the system to find what is causing the fuse issue. I have read and re-read all of the mini BCM interceptor thread, and I have been reading about the components for these conversions for months. It was my hope to use the BCM replacer, but alas it is not yet available to me. I do have the components to build up a mini BCM interceptor, so it looks like I will need to build that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
After wiring the batteries to the junction board in every wrong way possible, I now have the correct (I think) configuration. In this picture, you can see my battery holder brackets which I had to modify because the battery mounting tabs are seemingly all special and unique.

I have also assembled and programed a bcm interceptor guided by Peter's thread on the Mini BCM interceptor.

So after installing the interceptor last night, and having completed the 72 cell setup, it was getting very late. I did the 12 volt battery disconnect reset, and turned the key. The green led was blinking and the red led on the fooler was illuminated (I had also done the ptc strip delete and replaced with 22 ohm resistor, and I believe that I had correctly shorted pins 1 and 2 to ground on the interceptor). There were no IMA lights and no check engine lights. There were also no battery bars displayed. I believe that it may have started on the IMA starter. I believe that there may have been more torque. I will have to do some more testing after work today. I have the components to assemble a 30%current hack which I believe that I will also install. It has been very hot here in Atlanta (mid 90s), and it seemed that my air conditoner might not be working. It may be a coincidence?

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
I lost my battery SOC bars when my battery voltage got down to around 146 volts. They returned when I grid charged the battery to 180V(2.5V/Cell). There is a newer version of the Interceptor S/W which I have not yet loaded.

There seems to be two general styles of mounting points, one with short tabs on one end, and and one with short tabs on both ends. There are multiple styles of terminals, so I don't actually know how many total configurations there are. Yes, the configurations can get very confusing, But Honda wasn't think of Conversions when they made the batteries ;)

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Mr. "P", if on starting, it didn't sound like an old Dodge slant six starting, it DID START on the IMA battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I first started up my 72 cell with the Mini Interceptor, It took about 10 min to finally tick up to 19 bars. I have found that it wont reset until the pack voltage is around 172. My Soc bars go away at about 165-167 so I grid charge to about 174 so it never gets low enough to drop out. even if the bars go away, it still functions normally. I have set up 2 different PIc's with the new s/w. One for mountain climbs 174/162 and one for flat land commutes 172/165. It keeps charge within 85% of the SCIB max. Means longer life from the cells.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Well, I discovered a wire that I had neglected on the back of the mini bcm interceptor, and once corrected, I got this. Does this mean that I am in the club?

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Looking like you got it:)

I think Peter told me a while back that we could fool the fooler into thinking that the battery was lower by putting in a series resistor and at some other point in addition. That would be a way to get more charging. I have to go back to my thread and look. I guess it is a matter of whether one wants to operate more in a hybrid mode or a PHEV mode. Maybe I have this right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Just got back from a 5000 mile road trip for which this conversion was done. The trailer and hitch are homemade, and I have the Matiz springs. I averaged about 36-37 mpg going around 60mph.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Do you have a build thread for the trailer?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
8 Participants
prototypist
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing