Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

This question is for all Insight owners who drive their Insights all winter long without changing out their wheels to some winter variant. I fully understand that changing to winter tires would offer better traction. However, I simply don't have the money to buy another set of tires and/or rims.

All fall, I had my Potenzas pumped up to 45psi. I know that there are many people out there who run them at even higher pressures. However, my question regards winter time. What pressure are people running these tires at during the snow and icy season? Are you keeping them at really high pressures? Lowering? If so, how low? I'm assuming that increasing the rolling resistance, by lowering the PSI, will help with winter traction.

Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lower pressures provide more traction is low grip conditions on snow and ice.
We use 12 to 22 psi while racing on ice with ice racers using winter tires (no studs) but we use inner tubes to prevent them from loosing air when the sidewalls flex or we hit a bump while sliding sideways. (don't worry I don't use my Insight for ice racing because the cars get bumped often)

I would suggest using the Honda recommended pressures of 38/35 psi most of the winter and when it's slippery with snow and ice maybe lowering the tire pressures down to about 32 psi temporarily. But when it's not slippery anymore pump then them to 38/35 to improve dry grip performance and fuel economy.
Even the cheapest winter tires are better on ice and snow then the most expensive all season tires ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks for this post, i was wondering this myself last night when driving home on the sheet of glass called the highway :cry: i dont like winter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Winter tire pressure on the Potenza's

I've played with tire pressure anywhere from 32 to 50. I've noticed that Insight tends to hydroplane at speeds over 45 mph when the Potenza's are over 45 psi. I live in California so I'm actually more worried about the hydroplaning than the traction in snow/ice. I live in the Sierra and my commute in the morning is a mountain drive from 2,000 feet to 4,000 feet, so when it storms I usually arrive at work in a snowstorm. For snow I use the newer Alpine chains up front and have a spare set for the rear when it gets really bad.

Clint

PS Would have liked to try winter tires this winter, but their all gone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
lower is much better

I went to 32 from 55psi....in Wisconsin we had the snowiest Christmas since 59...made a big difference,especially from a stop,and up steep hills at slow speeds...Still is not very good compared to my Saturn with Blizzaks....but much better than with 55psi...only lost maybe 1-2mpg,average,cuz it is low in winter anyhow...48-52mpg....5 speed

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I have been driving my 130K 2000 insight with the potenzas year round since I got the car.
I keep my Potenzas at 44 PSI all year. When it gets too slippery during or just after a snow event, I drop them to 35. I live on top of a hill, so it is sometimes a matter of getting home or not. Once the roads get cleared, it is back up to 44.
I keep a tire guage with me, and also have an air compressor under my spare for the air springs and e-wheel down force cylinder, so I can pump the tires back up with just an air line and air chuck.
Still thinking of putting studs or chain on the e-wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts