Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some poking around on the forum, but most of my searches turn up results for the Gen 1 Insight. I'm not getting the fuel efficiency I want and am turning to you guys.

Pulsing and gliding has worked pretty well. However, I feel like the regenerative behaviors when coasting greatly kills any momentum you've gained from your pulse. I've switched the car into neutral a few times, but I'm unsure if that could result in some long term damage. Would it be better just to keep a light foot on the accelerator? Or should I just let the regen do it's work?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm fully grasping how to drive this car for maximum fuel efficiency.

You can check out my poor MPG at my Fuelly:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done some poking around on the forum, but most of my searches turn up results for the Gen 1 Insight. I'm not getting the fuel efficiency I want and am turning to you guys.

Pulsing and gliding has worked pretty well. However, I feel like the regenerative behaviors when coasting greatly kills any momentum you've gained from your pulse. I've switched the car into neutral a few times, but I'm unsure if that could result in some long term damage. Would it be better just to keep a light foot on the accelerator? Or should I just let the regen do it's work?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm fully grasping how to drive this car for maximum fuel efficiency.

You can check out my poor MPG at my Fuelly:

What speed are you driving? Just got my I2 and my 3 fill-ups have resulted in 43, 46, and 46mpg.

50% of those miles are at 65mph, 35% at 50-55, 15% in stop and go...(for reference)
What are you temps/snow accumulation up there too? I noticed a change in MPG in my last car when there was just rain on the roads, the extra friction does make a difference. Plus if you're using the heater a lot that'll definitely bring down the mpgs. Something to consider...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do mostly city driving at around 35-45 mph. Temperatures up here have been terrible. It's 2F out currently. I typically run the heater at 68F when I'm moving and turn it off when coming to a stop (in hopes to engage Autostop).

Best MPG I've gotten so far was before I signed up for Fuelly and it was 47MPG on an all 55MPH roads for a 200 mile trip. This was during a cold week in June where temps were around mid 50s.

Maybe my MPGs are typical for my climate, but Foresight's up in northern Maine and imagine the weather is pretty similar.

Perhaps I should take the freeway more often.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was -4F on my commute home tonight after my car had been sitting outdoors for 3 hours. I tried to be really conscious of my pulse and glide technique while following Uriel's advice from above. I managed to get just under 40mpg with the heat on full blast. Trip was 4.4 miles & I feel pretty satisfied. I think I may have more of a lead foot then I'd like to admit, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The first few miles are killing for your mpg, especially in the cold.

Make a habit of resetting your Trip B average every time you do a cold start and watch the mpg average grow with the miles.
4.4 miles is very short, my commute is five times that.
Just got 4.0 l/100 km (about 60 mpg) on my trip to work. Temp just above freezing.
It starts at an average of 25 l/100 km for the first 100 yards, I saw it dip below 6.0 l/100 km (40 mpg) at 7.3 km this morning - which is just over 4.4 miles ;)

40 mpg is very good for such a short trip. I drive quite moderately.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks RedDevil. Resetting Trip B every time I drive is a good idea. I'll have to start doing that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You're welcome. BTW, I use trip B for that cause you can, and I have, set up Trip A to reset automatically on refuel. It is somewhere around page 100 in the user manual ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! I'll have to get that to reset automatically. I use Trip A for my refuels, but had Trip B set to the miles I put on the car after I bought it used, but it reset at some point (don't know how/why) and has been useless ever since.

I also just discovered you can switch between A, B, Oil life, & total mileage with the steering wheel button instead of pushing the one on the dash.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
How to setup Trip A to reset automatically on refuel

FYI, I'll repost a how-to for the trip settings, with an explanation of the workings of the menu and links to the manual:

me on Ecomodder.com :) said:
The trip meters are actually quite easy to use.
You can cycle through 4 modes:
- total odometer distance,
- Trip A distance,
- Trip B distance and
- days/miles to next service (whichever seems nearest)
by pressing the Sel/Reset button. See the manual: page 76.
(Warning: big...)

You can reset Trip A or Trip B by pressing and holding the Sel/Reset button for 2 seconds while they show.
You cannot reset the service interval like that, you cannot reset the odometer at all ;)

The Info ^/v buttons let you cycle through the 8 MID display modes.
An ecomodder will likely show the instant FE monitor most of the time.
Trip A and B have their own economy record that resets with resetting the like trip meter. With the odometer it shows Trip A economy (too).

You can reset the trip meters whenever you like.
I found it informative to reset Trip B at every cold start.
I use Trip A to record my per tank economy.

Now the Insight has a setting to make it reset Trip A automatically at every fillup.
This will make you go through the depth of the menu system.
Take time to get accustomed to it (see page 91 and on) then at page 99 you'll find the TRIP A RESET with REFUEL menu with which, you guessed it.
Notice how the link jumps to the right page in the PDF: You can make it do that with the #page={page number} tag on the URL. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you guys always run in ECON mode?
Honestly, I do a mix of both. Tend to leave it off until I get to speed, then turn it on. When cruise is engaged it'll let the speed drop 2-3 mph before starting to speed up to compensate. If there are small hills you can bleed off that couple of mph without losing mpgs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My fuel economy has dramatically increased after practicing some different driving habits. I'm consistently getting between 40 & 50 MPG on my trips even with temperatures being close to 0F. My average tank MPG currently is 41.3mpg (MID numbers). I'm hoping to boost it a little bit before my next refuel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
In cold weather I've found that it makes a difference to park in such away that the sun shines on the engine, in the hours prior to starting the car. It's also helpful to drive with the cvt in S (especially when accelerating) till the cold light is ready to go out.

The purposes are to get the engine temperature out of the cold, and into normal operating temperature; where the good mpg is, as soon as possible.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My fuel economy has dramatically increased after practicing some different driving habits. I'm consistently getting between 40 & 50 MPG on my trips even with temperatures being close to 0F. My average tank MPG currently is 41.3mpg (MID numbers). I'm hoping to boost it a little bit before my next refuel.
Congrats! That's a nice MPG bump, to say the least. The Insight is definitely about driving style and situation. Cold temps are an MPG killer for sure... but you can still do pretty well by practicing "Hypermiler" techniques (when possible), that eventually become automatic when you drive this car.

I came to Insight from 9 years of Prius driving, so I already had some experience. Although there are definitely some differences that have to be experimented with and learned to get the most out of your Insight.

Warmer weather is on the way... it's March. Sun's getting higher in the sky at noon and the days are getting noticeably longer. As temperatures start to head into the 40s and 50s in a month or so, you'll see even better MPG numbers. A good thing.

Make sure you keep up with tire pressure, since it makes such a impact on MPG during any season.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts