Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i'm looking into buying a used G2 Insight for my 60 mile commute.
I live in the UK and have been offered a 2010 ES with 20k on the clock for £8k from a Honda main dealer.
I wanted a bit of advice before i parted with my money....do you think that Insight is a practical car for a 60 mile round trip on mainly dual carriageway/Motorway roads, and based on this am i likely to get anywhere near the publish mpg figures?

Any advice gratefully received

Barry

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes, a 60 mile round trip is a good base to get a reasonable economy, though driving style and speed have a lot of influence. Run with the rigs and you will easily beat OEM economy. Stick to the fast lane and you won't have a chance.
The real good economy waits until the engine is warm; under winter conditions that can be like 10 miles.

20K miles in over 3 years is suspiciously low.
Mine did just 1500 miles in its first 10 months by its PO and suffered from it; the IMA battery was lazy, it took lots of miles to get it back in shape.

Also, with a 2010 you will need to make sure the upgrades have been done. They can just hook it up to the Honda computer and that should show whether they have been done or not; in which case they can do it right then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My round trip mile from home to work and back is about 56 miles. I first considered looking at the Prius but they are way over priced for a used car. So the next option for me is the Insight.

Well I'll tell you what... I'm so glad I made the right decision on buying a 2010 insight. Not only it gives me the same gas mileage as the over priced Prius but it's way cheaper too.

So far I have been averaging 42.5mpg for a cold weather here in Oregon. You won't regret owning an Insight...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks both for your quick response. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
The dealer has promised all software updates will be applied before i collect the car so should be ok on that front
I usually hug the 60mph slow lane with my current car so i don't see that changing to be honest.
I am now looking forward to joining the club.

Best Regards
Barry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just so you know... I have only owned my 2010 Insight for 2 and a half weeks and more and more I get attached with the car. My drive is never boring even when I only go 60MPH on the freeway just coz I know I'm always on a mission to beat my best record of 43MPG.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have owned it for 16 months now and my mission is to beat my best commute of 3.3 l/100 km, which amounts to about 70 mpgUS or 85 Impg.
It needs to be warm and windless and traffic lights need be green all the way. I could live with that ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts