Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Insight that a friend of mine wrecked. He bascially failed to see a stopped vehicle and drove the Insight under the rear bumper of the other vehicle at his estimation of less than 5 mph. I haven't seen the car yet but know that it needs at a minimum both fenders, hood, front grill, front bumper and cover, and a radiator. He drove the car home from the accident site as said it "drove normal", so I'm assuming no damage to the frame/suspension. He also said that it didn't overheat until he got home so I doubt that there was any damage to the engine other than the leaky radiator. I've priced the parts from salvage yards and it looks like a minimum of $1000 - $1200. His buyback price (my price for car) from the insurance company is $2646. So I'd be into it for around 4K in the end. Sound OK? I would use the car for my 5 mile each way work commute.
The car is a blue 2000 5-sp with 47K miles.
Thanks in advance for any advice. Nate

·
Registered
58 Posts
Salvage Insight and repair to go back on road......

Look the car over carefully,at under 5 MPH your estimate for parts sounds correct.Get the required 3 factory manuals from Helms(Body,Electrical,and Service) and go for it!!!! Enjoy bringing the car back on the road,have fun!!!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
With a salvage title you can kiss all warranties and the 8/80k IMA warranty good-by. :(

(Its SOP with all manufacturers)

And I'd be concerned with engine damage. Once the coolant gets past a critically low point the gauge will _NOT_ correctly register a _severe_ overheat and damage will occur.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A refurb'ed Y2K Insight with less than 50K, and you can pick it up for ~$4K after repairs? :shock: All day long, Duuude, all day long.

A ~5 mile commute probably won't even get it to usual operating temperature (only exaggerating a little bit), but you'll love it love it love it. Good luck and congratulations! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts