Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes. It's true. I just purchased a 2010 Honda Insight for the third time. In April 2009, our daughter turned 16 and we purchased her the 1st 2nd Gen Insight in Southern Illinois. It went through the normal dings of a 16 year old driver including backing in to our cast aluminum mailbox and busting the back hatch glass out. Then Halloween came and some "friends" thought it would be funny to put glitter in her gas tank. After that she scraped the rear quarter panel when she backed into the end of the bumper on my truck.
Since then, I have changed the oil and filter about every 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 0-20, changed the air filters once a year, CVT fluid at 110,000 miles,wiper blades a few times, front brake pads at 75,000 miles, tires every 50,000 miles or so, and both headlight bulbs at around 100,000 miles. It survived high school, college, and she has been working as a teacher for 5 years. The car was paid for, but I refinanced it at .9% interest and paid off again when she was in college to help with college costs. Last week she decided she wanted to buy a new car. Yesterday she took delivery of a 2018 Prius II Eco. They only offered her $2000 for her Insight since it has 157,000 miles on it with peeling paint, so I gave her the $2000 to help with her downpayment and I am now going to drive it on my 100 mile commute to and from work. It is the white color and the paint started peeling on the hood and roof last year. Honda wouldn't do anything about it and said it is not a known issue. It's funny when I searched for used Insights on Autotrader and found 2 that were painted black on the hood and roof.

I'm going to either paint or vinyl wrap both. Has anyone vinyl wrapped your Insight?

I think I'm going to paint the wheels black also. They have road rash and need cleaned up.

I'm going to change the plugs for the first time too. I drove it a hundred miles home last night on the interstate at 79mph and the 2 lane roads at 55mph and it still averaged 52.1mpg.

I still have my original 2000 Insight in the garage. I haven't driven it since 2007.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes. It's true. I just purchased a 2010 Honda Insight for the third time. In April 2009, our daughter turned 16 and we purchased her the 1st 2nd Gen Insight in Southern Illinois. It went through the normal dings of a 16 year old driver including backing in to our cast aluminum mailbox and busting the back hatch glass out. Then Halloween came and some "friends" thought it would be funny to put glitter in her gas tank. After that she scraped the rear quarter panel when she backed into the end of the bumper on my truck.
Since then, I have changed the oil and filter about every 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 0-20, changed the air filters once a year, CVT fluid at 110,000 miles,wiper blades a few times, front brake pads at 75,000 miles, tires every 50,000 miles or so, and both headlight bulbs at around 100,000 miles. It survived high school, college, and she has been working as a teacher for 5 years. The car was paid for, but I refinanced it at .9% interest and paid off again when she was in college to help with college costs. Last week she decided she wanted to buy a new car. Yesterday she took delivery of a 2018 Prius II Eco. They only offered her $2000 for her Insight since it has 157,000 miles on it with peeling paint, so I gave her the $2000 to help with her downpayment and I am now going to drive it on my 100 mile commute to and from work. It is the white color and the paint started peeling on the hood and roof last year. Honda wouldn't do anything about it and said it is not a known issue. It's funny when I searched for used Insights on Autotrader and found 2 that were painted black on the hood and roof.

I'm going to either paint or vinyl wrap both. Has anyone vinyl wrapped your Insight?

I think I'm going to paint the wheels black also. They have road rash and need cleaned up.

I'm going to change the plugs for the first time too. I drove it a hundred miles home last night on the interstate at 79mph and the 2 lane roads at 55mph and it still averaged 52.1mpg.

I still have my original 2000 Insight in the garage. I haven't driven it since 2007.

paint job shouldn't be too tough. Take a few different cans of white touch up paint from pepboys and test them on pieces of cardboard that you can put next to the hood so you can find the closest match... (often the one that is recommended as the matching spray paint can isn't the best match ironically)

Once you have found a close match take the whole hood off and spend a weekend sanding it down nicely (just to be smooth doesn't mean you have to remove all the old paint) clean it with some rubbing alcohol and in a low dust area like maybe in the garage give it 2 or 3 lights coats of color and 2 coats of clear coat... and you're done put the hood back on.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paint job shouldn't be too tough. Take a few different cans of white touch up paint from pepboys and test them on pieces of cardboard that you can put next to the hood so you can find the closest match... (often the one that is recommended as the matching spray paint can isn't the best match ironically)

Once you have found a close match take the whole hood off and spend a weekend sanding it down nicely (just to be smooth doesn't mean you have to remove all the old paint) clean it with some rubbing alcohol and in a low dust area like maybe in the garage give it 2 or 3 lights coats of color and 2 coats of clear coat... and you're done put the hood back on.

This Insight has the white pearl paint which is a 3 step process. I was going to go that route, but it was a little over $300 for primer, base coat, top coat, and clear coat for the roof and hood. I cancelled that order and going to have it wrapped with 3m Silver Titanium vinyl wrap. It was about $400 installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
LoNOx 1
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing