Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, Here is a great way to see where other insighters are. I hope this is useful to everyone and we can use this for insight meets around the world!
Credit goes to blackcloud77 for starting this off!

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z6zMAH-Yedk8.kE_dpiSyuZZk

1. It looks like you may need to be signed into google in order to add your self to the map. *if you do not have a google account, feel free to PM me or post a comment saying you would like to be added and any info to also add.

2. Search for your GENERAL location on the map (please not your actual address), then simply click the green pin the add to map button and bam you are on the map!
3. From there you can click on your name and click the little pencil icon to edit with any info you would like to add.

4. Check out where others are around the world!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Blah blah minimum text length etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
That is very interesting. A couple of quick comments:
a. I'm not sure members want to show their exact locations, like in your example. But, this problem could be bypassed by just putting your location at a major nearby intersection.
b. A nationwide map would be extremely useful. One could connect the screen name with an approximate location and see who to PM for help. Folks are always PMing me to find where I actually live.

I don't see how to zoom in/out on the map. What am I missing?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is very interesting. A couple of quick comments:
a. I'm not sure members want to show their exact locations, like in your example. But, this problem could be bypassed by just putting your location at a major nearby intersection.
b. A nationwide map would be extremely useful. One could connect the screen name with an approximate location and see who to PM for help. Folks are always PMing me to find where I actually live.

I don't see how to zoom in/out on the map. What am I missing?
The location for me is not exact, its just an exact place in the city I live. Yeah I would love if we could link our username to the map. When you put your location in put your user name at in the box. Also there should be a (+-)

·
Premium Member
9,677 Posts
To zoom in or out.
When the hand is on the location you want, scroll up or down.

HTH
Willie

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
OK, I'm a total Google dummy, I admit it. I do the search and I can see a pin at my searched location, but I don't see how to personalize it with my screen name, or how to add the pin to the map. Must I be "signed in?"

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I'm a total Google dummy, I admit it. I do the search and I can see a pin at my searched location, but I don't see how to personalize it with my screen name, or how to add the pin to the map. Must I be "signed in?"
I dont think you need to be signed in, when you search and then the pin comes up, it should be green, then click on it. its should say add to map, follow the next set of commands, your name should come up at the bottom of the list, click on your name and at the bottom right of the pop up window there will be a little pencil that is for editing. If you would like I can put it in for you.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
How to search?

I cannot get a Search text box, at least not one that is linked to the map.
I must be missing something... but what?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I cannot get a Search text box, at least not one that is linked to the map.
I must be missing something... but what?
I didn't see a Search text box until I signed it to Google, something that I avoid doing whenever possible. This was under Mac OS X using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. It seems likely that one must be signed in for Google to save the information that you provide and that Google will then add to its extensive database about you. Many people have signed into Google in the past and have checked the "Stay signed in" box so that they are always signed in.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Ah OK. I have no desire to set up a Google account... I'm in Nieuwegein, the Netherlands, but not on the map then.

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
If you would like I can put it in for you.
Please do add my screen name (jime). The chosen address is the one that shows as Old 9301 Staples Mill RD(not my real address obviously). I tried to make the darn thing work, but obviously I'm missing something:mad:

When I tried a similar "open" spreadsheet on Google, I found that folks abused it. You may have to edit it occasionally, or lock it and make the entries yourself. Folks aren't as smart or trustworthy as they may first appear. For example, Point 11 is not a valid screen name. It does not autofill in the PM address window. There is no such screen name, though I don't dobt someone is trying to get listed.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Please do add my screen name (jime). The chosen address is the one that shows as Old 9301 Staples Mill RD(not my real address obviously). I tried to make the darn thing work, but obviously I'm missing something:mad:

When I tried a similar "open" spreadsheet on Google, I found that folks abused it. You may have to edit it occasionally, or lock it and make the entries yourself. Folks aren't as smart or trustworthy as they may first appear.
actually you did it jime, all you need to do was go back and edit it it with your name. I did that tho so dont worry about it! you should be able to see your self now. you can also find yourself and click on the pin and edit it with more info if you would like.

RedDevil you have also been added.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It appears the map is "full" with 16 entries? It doesn't appear to allow you to add another row.

You can find me in/around Houston, TX.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
36 Participants
solartony
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing