Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a GreenTec 8 Ah battery. The battery charged from 2 bars to half while I was looking at it and drove it.

Will the battery last a while?

Also, the interior and paint are in rough shape and it needs both O2 sensors. It h has160k miles. What's a good price for it?

Buying as a commuter.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
No. Sounds like a 500$ car to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
If you buy, you should try to grid charge/balance the battery asap. It is probably out of balance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$500?? I don't want to insult the guy. But I don't wanna overpay either. I can work on it myself, which helps. It looks like $300 will get me the two O2 sensors.

Does it hurt it to drive it with the cells out of balance? I'm wanting to pick it up tomorrow. Should or could I disable the IMA to get it home?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
What trouble codes are indicated or showing.
How much is he asking for the vehicle?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the batteries may have another year of warranty. But:

This warranty excludes failure due to;
-Improper installations, except those done by Greentec Auto Technicians or Greentec Auto approved installers
-Products stored for a period of thirty (30) days or more whether in the vehicle or out
-Physical damage caused after the delivery of the battery to the customer
-Damages or defects that may have been caused by shipping, if accepted at delivery and not documented with the carrier
-Removal, tampering, or damage to warranty labels -Any modification or bypass of vehicle systems not in congruence with manufacturer specifications Reinstallation of the HV battery into a different vehicle
-Poor vehicle maintenance Vehicle conditions that may cause premature failure.
-Any condition beyond the control of Greentec Auto, Inc.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Yowsa! That warranty has a lot of "outs" for Greentec!

I've noticed Insight prices seem to be rising along with the rest of the used car market. Hard to tell without pics, but around here, anything that moves under its own power seems to be worth at least $1,000 no matter how wrecked/ugly/rusted it might be...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He was asking $5k. With the car market like it is, I am not sure. KBB says $2.5k for good condition, $2k for fair.

Here are some pictures. The roof and hood are very oxidized with some clearcoat flaking off. The instrument cluster has some LED bleeding through on the charge and assist display. The headliner is separating, the carpet it pulled apart from the front of the doors at the bottom of the dash, and the driver seat has worn thin. There is dog hair all over and really needs a deep cleaning. It looks like a car that hasn't moved for since late 2019, shortly after the battery was replaced.

There also seems to be a small oil leak at the back passenger side of the engine, probably just a valve cover gasket. The car seems to drive decent. It also has snow tires instead of the factory Bridgestones.

I could throw some vinyl on the roof. There is a lot of hardened sap on the top of the vehicle that should clean off.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Yea 5k is absolutely rediculous. The paint is destroyed. The battery is either dead or on it's last leg, it's got the wrong tires, unknown motor mount condition and more. It's absolutely not worth anything more than 1500.

[Edit]: I'll have a red one for sale that doesn't have completely blown out paint, 30k mile old clutch, the right tires, and freshly cleaned interior for 1750-2k soon. So with that being said...yea.... definitely not 5k.

[Edit 2]: mine won't have a IMA battery (bypassed) but even if you spent 2400 for a brand new one, you would be into it less than the car in the thread. Plus it would be a brand new battery with a 5 yr warranty vs a used pack with -maybe- a year left.

Reactions: NewOwner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My current vehicle gets 17mpg on a good day. I've got an 84 mile per day commute. So that's around $500 a month in fuel. Time is money, these things have gotten hard to come by. I've always wanted one. I don't want a PoS, but aesthetics are less important to me than my high gas payment. I'm in Colorado, by the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current vehicle gets 17mpg on a good day. I've got an 84 mile per day commute. So that's around $500 a month in fuel. Time is money, these things have gotten hard to come by. I've always wanted one. I don't want a PoS, but aesthetics are less important to me than my high gas payment. I'm in Colorado, by the way.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
He can't take less than $3k, so he's keeping it.
Walk away man. Others are leading you right - $1000-$1500 is the ball park for that one. Gas prices are up and lots of people have beat G1s they're asking a fortune for. Don't fall for it. If you want better mpgs for your daily get a civic or corolla for <$5000, it will likely need far less TLC than a G1 and get you around 40mpgs if you drive it right. My '98 Civic was $1600 7 years ago and still gets 38mpgs. I've put $400 in it in that length of time in repairs - 2 radiators, an O2 sensor, and 2 window regulators. That's it.

If you're going to pay ~$5k for a G1 it had better be near perfect.

Reactions: NewOwner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate everyone's honesty. I was expecting it to be in better shape for sure. I've owned 2x 92' Civic VXs and 1x 94' CX. Hypermilling got me a peak of 40 mpg in 2009 San Diego with a Integra GSR B18C1.

It sucks all the good Hondas cost an arm and a leg. If I could find a decent VX I would be stoked.

If anyone wants to sell a G1 MT let me know.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Does it hurt it to drive it with the cells out of balance? I'm wanting to pick it up tomorrow. Should or could I disable the IMA to get it home?
fyi, for future reference: in the short run, no, driving with cells out of balance doesn't hurt anything, though you may get premature empty and the IMA might get disabled, with a trouble code. You can disable the IMA to get a car home, if you have to. But you generally don't have to. If the IMA works, just let it work until it doesn't. If it doesn't work or is questionable, you can usually just flip the breaker OFF under the hatch carpet, under a little access panel. If it's a long drive home, in such a non-working/'questionable' state, you might want to open the full IMA lid and pull the connectors off of the left hand computer... If you just flip the switch and the pack is really bad, you can risk having the DCDC disable, and then your 12V battery won't charge. Disconnecting the left hand computer prevents that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Balto and Jeffej gave really good advice.

@MechMan this is a 19-year old car. I think they use salt on the roads in CO. Wait until you see the rusted gas and brake lines underneath that are common with these cars, you might throw your hands up in despair!

Those rusted gas and brake lines won't be expensive to fix IF you fix it yourself -- but IC members have reported it took them 4 whole days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, sounds like a lot of work... They don't use salt in Colorado, that's more of a Mid-West thing. But it may have come from there. Sounds like CarFax reports will be a good idea.

Do the CVT gen 1s have lean burn? Are there reasons to shop for a MT, besides it being a manual transmission?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Thanks, sounds like a lot of work... They don't use salt in Colorado, that's more of a Mid-West thing. But it may have come from there. Sounds like CarFax reports will be a good idea.

Do the CVT gen 1s have lean burn? Are there reasons to shop for a MT, besides it being a manual transmission?
No lean burn on CVT...honestly imho 50% of why the G1s are so amazing is the 5spd option. If it were only CVT I wouldn't own one. Not that it's not still amazing, I just have a thing for manual tranny cars. If you're gonna get one go all in and get the 5spd. It's like a toy car. And mpg is far better.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
No lean burn on CVT...honestly imho 50% of why the G1s are so amazing is the 5spd option. If it were only CVT I wouldn't own one. Not that it's not still amazing, I just have a thing for manual tranny cars. If you're gonna get one go all in and get the 5spd. It's like a toy car. And mpg is far better.
Speak for yourself :). My CVT has lean burn.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts