Honda Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
From Wikipedia, good info for beginners:

The first generation Insight was the most fuel efficient gasoline-powered car available in the U.S. without plug-in capability for the length of its production run and up until December 2015, when it was surpassed by the 2016 Toyota Prius Eco.

The Insight earned an EPA fuel economy estimate of 70 mpg‑US (3.4 L/100 km; 84 mpg‑imp) in highway driving, 61 mpg‑US (3.9 L/100 km; 73 mpg‑imp) city. With air conditioning it was 68 mpg‑US (3.5 L/100 km; 82 mpg‑imp) and 60 mpg‑US (3.9 L/100 km; 72 mpg‑imp).

With a CVT it was 57 mpg‑US (4.1 L/100 km; 68 mpg‑imp)/56 mpg‑US (4.2 L/100 km; 67 mpg‑imp).

The CVT-equipped Insight is classified as a super-low emissions vehicle. The Insight features low emissions: the California Air Resources Board gave the 5-speed model a ULEV rating, and the CVT model earned a SULEV rating – the 5-speed model's lean-burn ability traded increased efficiency for slightly higher NOx emissions.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Sure thing. Still learning myself. Besides lean burn again imho the options having the MT are really what allow fantastic mpgs in this car. You're in control of so much more. You can coast in neutral without the car engine braking, you can control what gear you're in and when you shift for optimal efficiency. Not pooping on the CVTs, they have their place, just trying to encourage you as a possible new owner soon in what these cars are like. My current G1 has an 11-year old battery and zero mods and I'm getting low 70s mpg around town with my tires at 45psi and careful driving.

If you're in the market and you have $5000 to spend, wait until a good one comes along and spend more to get a better car. That's my advice, unless you're trying to save money and/or want to do the work yourself. Find a sorted car. Find one here, the CL and eBay and BaT and CaB cars all have unknowns and people are generally trying to get top dollar. Here it's different, folks who have history here tend to care more for their cars and sell them with pride. Seen it over and over again. Be patient, one will come up soon. Or, open a "Want to Buy" thread, many of us are dealing in multiple G1s at once and are ready to pass one on to an honest soul.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Where should I post a WTB post? In the market section?

I'm definitely into tinkering, but I prefer not to have big time and money consuming surprises. I've worked on Hondas off and on since 1998. I love their efficiency. Their cars are so thought out with the driver in mind. I love the insight because it is a little more purpose built for commuting and efficiency. I'm a form over function kinda guy.

I would prefer to tinker with getting better mileage, acceleration, or better handling. Plenty of options for each of those characteristics here.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
That's what I thought. I think some of the California model Civics didn't have it as well. Is that an issue on Insights, too?

@Balto ECU, wiring harness, intake manifold, and head swap?
Nope, just JDM ECU, an O2 harness that plugs into the OEM harness, a O2 sensor from a 00(or early '01) manual car, and some repinning at the ECU.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts

I'm definitely into tinkering, but I prefer not to have big time and money consuming surprises. I've worked on Hondas off and on since 1998. I love their efficiency. Their cars are so thought out with the driver in mind. I love the insight because it is a little more purpose built for commuting and efficiency. I'm a form over function kinda guy.

I would prefer to tinker with getting better mileage, acceleration, or better handling. Plenty of options for each of those characteristics here.
Yeah in market.

Surprises: big ticket things are (a) hybrid battery (b) tranny needing work (c) paint. All are common issues and most G1s out there have one two or all three if these present. Be picky. Research. Early bird gets the worm on good G1s. In general if a car is beat cosmetically it's beat mechanically, stay away. People who care for these and love them will present the car as such. That's true with any older car but moreso with G1 Insights.

Here's a couple of videos that might help you out:

Reactions: MechMan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nope, just JDM ECU, an O2 harness that plugs into the OEM harness, a O2 sensor from a 00(or early '01) manual car, and some repinning at the ECU.
That is awesome! Hondas are so fun to modify. They used to call cars with engine swaps "hybrids." They're pretty simple to work on. It's seeming like the G1 is pretty easy to work on and modify like I'm used to.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Yup. I average about 10mpg better with the JDM ECU vs the US one.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I think it's worth looking for a manual transmission. I actually would have preferred an automatic when I first got one, but the MT opens up options, functionality, performance - stuff others have already written - that overshadows the convenience of an automatic. And in the Insight's case it's not exactly an automatic, but a somewhat quirky CVT that's either expensive to replace/fix, or hard to fix on your own...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I definitely prefer a MT. I wouldn't buy a CVT, I was mostly curious about other differences they have. CVT is a fascinating concept which is useful. I just prefer my Hondas with a clutch. My next G1 will be my 4th, not including motorcycles.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I think my main beef with the CVT is that, given vagaries of the IMA system you really need the extra control over IMA that MT affords... If the battery management etc. were solid then the CVT wouldn't be such a bad option, for me at least. The Insight already has a plethora of novel stuff, I think the CVT kind of pushes it over the edge, where it's the one more thing, the straw that broke the camel's back, that made the finished product not quite ready for prime time. MT is a throw back and kind of evens it all out - simple, makes all the other quirks more manageable/livable.

On the other hand, the CVT drives nice when it's working good, so it's not like I wouldn't rule it out totally, like for a second Insight. It just wouldn't be my first and only choice.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Over the last year+ of owning a few of these lots of people ooh and ahh over my Insights. They comment on the shape, then the spats covering the back, then they figure out it's hybrid/electric, ask a few more questions....inevitably I open the door so they can examine the cockpit. The biggest >GASP< of all always comes when they see the gearshift.

"AND IT'S A MANUAL TRANSMISSION???"

I smile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I miss driving a manual. My 1st will definitely be a manual. I like to tinker, and it sounds like the MT has one less thing to control, that simplifies tuning. If I were in stop and go traffic, a CVT would be attractive. But I've done it with a heavy performance clutch.

Somebody said these cars cost Honda $70k to make. They seem pretty simple, but I look forward to exploring Honda's engineering of the first hybrid. Honda has always been my engineering inspiration. Simple solutions can achieve big goals.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
Interesting reading here:

·
Registered
2000, Honda Insight, MT, 96,500 miles
6 Posts

I have a gray 2000 Honda Insight, MT, 96XXX miles. I'll offer it to you for $4,600. It got a new hybrid battery this year (5-year warranty).
I wrote a whole thing I was going to PM you, but it won't let me since the account is new. So PM me your e-mail address if you are interested and I will send you two PDFs showing the general condition and repairs it's had. I guess I could also try replying to the PM with the files. I am unsure if it will let me or not.

I am in Oceanside, CA

EDIT: I decided to abandon my plan to sell it. I will man up and deal with the knee pain from getting in and out of this ridiculously low vehicle. I love my Insight but had a brief moment of madness thinking I wanted to sell it due to that issue. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I have a gray 2000 Honda Insight, MT, 96XXX miles. I'll offer it to you for $4,600. It got a new hybrid battery this year (5-year warranty).
I wrote a whole thing I was going to PM you, but it won't let me since the account is new. So PM me your e-mail address if you are interested and I will send you two PDFs showing the general condition and repairs it's had. I guess I could also try replying to the PM with the files. I am unsure if it will let me or not.

I am in Oceanside, CA
This looks like a very fair deal imho. $1000-$2000 is about average for a starter Insight with a dead battery...depending on condition. Throw in a ~$2000 battery and low miles, this would be a super solid driver for this price assuming there are no major issues.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

I am in Oceanside, CA
@MechMan if you are interested in this car, I'll be down in San Diego today to pick up a citrus I won at auction. It's very close to Oceanside and I'd be willing to go check this car out for you. Just let me know. I'll be down there in approximately 4-6hr.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,700 Posts
Where are you going in SD Tim? Want to meet?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts