Honda Insight Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Where are you going in SD Tim? Want to meet?
I'd absolutely love to! This is the address to the auction yard: 2380 Britannia Blvd, San Diego, CA 92154. Whenever my dad gets here with the truck and trailer, I'll be down there about 2.5-3hrs later depending on traffic.

·
Registered
2000, Honda Insight, MT, 96,500 miles
6 Posts
I think I have to withdraw my offer to sell. The more I think about it, the sadder I get at the thought of parting ways with my Insight. I am just going to have to man up and deal with the joint pain of getting in and out of my little spaceship.

Thanks for offering to help MechMan with the purchase. I'm glad I joined instead of continuing to lurk. You guys are good people.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Scott can help you out with lifting the car about an inch or so, it will be easier to get into and out of and doesn't seem to negatively affect my car. I did mine for clearance offroad but it should make it closer to a regular car for getting in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Balto and Jeffej gave really good advice.

@MechMan this is a 19-year old car. I think they use salt on the roads in CO. Wait until you see the rusted gas and brake lines underneath that are common with these cars, you might throw your hands up in despair!

Those rusted gas and brake lines won't be expensive to fix IF you fix it yourself -- but IC members have reported it took them 4 whole days.
Plus 1 on that call. I have a 113k insight in my garage that I bought “because they were so hard to find and I’d better scoop it now” mentality. I beat the owner up on price and paid 1100. Ordered the lines and bought new tires then realized after I got it all apart that the torsion beam is all rusty and bushings are totally shot. Not a deterrent but just left it parked (not a lot of free time or patience [ocd]) but it has been in my garage for years now. Why you may ask? I found a cvt for “parts” that I picked up the next week for 350 and I grid charged it to drive a whole year with good ima and 51mpg average until I was gifted by an amazing forum member her a Cali car. Yeah, paint was all burned and 258k (baby really) was mechanically extremely well taken care of. I am now driving that car every day. No functioning IMA but I’m sold on the incredible numbers I can pull on my 100 mile daily commute. Blue can sit until I have time or need to get her going in the unlikely event of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I ended up buying a 1997 Civic HX for 2200. I still want an Insight. But my need for MPG has been satisfied at 41 and 42 MPG.

I appreciate everyone's help and guidance.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sounds like an awesome car! I think it has lean burn, if I am not mistaken. honda-civic-hx-lean-burn-notes-how-24948.html

If it has an old LAF sensor (upstream sensor) a new one (NTK is probably the OEM?) may give you a little more MPG. RockAuto shows an UltraPower 2345052 for a lot less than the NTK. It would not surprise me if it is an NTK repackaged. I don't have an HX, just extrapolating this from Insight experience (I have a Denso 2345052, which RockAuto lists as a LAF sensor for the 1997 Civic HX, and which has NTK stamped on the side. This is for a future experiment to determine compatibility with the 2000-01 US MT Insight.)

I believe the effective MPG of an Insight is around what you're seeing in your HX if you consider the cost of replacing the IMA battery every 3-5 years as $2000 worth of additional fuel bought over the same time period. So I think you made a good choice.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I had an HX, did a VX trans swap which was bolt in. Iirc I was getting 42mpg in the summer with the AC on at 70mph, about 46-50 with it off.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts