Honda Insight Forum banner

Question about a 2002 MT, sat for 1.5 to 2 years

5K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  Balto 
#1 ·
It has a GreenTec 8 Ah battery. The battery charged from 2 bars to half while I was looking at it and drove it.

Will the battery last a while?

Also, the interior and paint are in rough shape and it needs both O2 sensors. It h has160k miles. What's a good price for it?

Buying as a commuter.

Thanks for your help.

#35 ·
I miss driving a manual. My 1st will definitely be a manual. I like to tinker, and it sounds like the MT has one less thing to control, that simplifies tuning. If I were in stop and go traffic, a CVT would be attractive. But I've done it with a heavy performance clutch.

Somebody said these cars cost Honda $70k to make. They seem pretty simple, but I look forward to exploring Honda's engineering of the first hybrid. Honda has always been my engineering inspiration. Simple solutions can achieve big goals.

#36 ·
Interesting reading here:

#41 ·
I'd absolutely love to! This is the address to the auction yard: 2380 Britannia Blvd, San Diego, CA 92154. Whenever my dad gets here with the truck and trailer, I'll be down there about 2.5-3hrs later depending on traffic.

#42 ·
I think I have to withdraw my offer to sell. The more I think about it, the sadder I get at the thought of parting ways with my Insight. I am just going to have to man up and deal with the joint pain of getting in and out of my little spaceship.

Thanks for offering to help MechMan with the purchase. I'm glad I joined instead of continuing to lurk. You guys are good people.

#47 · (Edited)
Sounds like an awesome car! I think it has lean burn, if I am not mistaken. honda-civic-hx-lean-burn-notes-how-24948.html

If it has an old LAF sensor (upstream sensor) a new one (NTK is probably the OEM?) may give you a little more MPG. RockAuto shows an UltraPower 2345052 for a lot less than the NTK. It would not surprise me if it is an NTK repackaged BUT IT VERY WELL MAY NOT BE AND COULD JUST BE A WASTE OF MONEY - go with the NTK part. I don't have an HX, just extrapolating this from Insight experience (I have a Denso 2345052, which RockAuto lists as a LAF sensor for the 1997 Civic HX, and which has NTK stamped on the side. This is for a future experiment to determine compatibility with the 2000-01 US MT Insight.)

I believe the effective MPG of an Insight is around what you're seeing in your HX if you consider the cost of replacing the IMA battery every 3-5 years as $2000 worth of additional fuel bought over the same time period. So I think you made a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.