Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have been interested in Insights for a while now but thought that it would be longer before I could afford one on my meager budget! Anyway, I have a question about whether a used Insight that is for sale by where I live is a good deal.

The car: 2000 Insight, 5-speed, 106K miles, one owner, stock, but with no AC, 60.6 lmpg, asking $5000 firm. I have driven the car and it seems to drive fine - no obvious problems; however the body has several dings and there is some sight damage on both the front and rear fenders. Also the interior is generally okay but the previous driver was a smoker and there are several burn marks and such on the driver's door. The guy who is selling the car has 3 Insights and does all of the routine maintenance himself. He changes the oil and filter, rotates the tires, etc., but said that he has only changed the air filter once (seems unusual since he lives on a dusty, gravel road). Also, he said that the brakes are all original and that he has only replaced the tires once. I am wondering if there is not much interest in Insights where I live (mid-Missouri) and I imagine that not having AC would be a problem for most potential buyers, but does $5000 sound like too good a deal? I generally believe that you get what you pay for with used cars, but I don't want to pass up a great deal!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, because I really do want this car!

Thanks,

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Is the engine noisy when first started. Are you able to do a compression test? Does the transmission shift smoothly (5 speed). Can you take it for a ride and see how the mileage is with you behind the wheel? Does the battery hold up under long hill climbing situations? Does the oil look dirty and is it at the correct level? Is it the original 12 volt battery? Is the carpet damp or does it smell musty? Does the passenger side window work properly? Read the problems section to see what people have reported. This will give you a good idea what to look for. 5K sounds cheap for a car that is not a salvage job. You might have found a diamond that just needs some deep cleaning and a little loving care.

Don't want to scare you but rather I want you to get a great car and a great deal too. One good thing is that you won't be looking for hidden rust! :wink: Also if you fix the dings you won't have to worry about rust where you did the body work

Good hunting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts