Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when I push my mode button on the HVAC unit to select floor vents & defroster will my compressor run even if I have selected AC OFF via the ECON button? I've listened real close before when the HVAC is in this setting, with engine running but not moving and I can't really hear the compressor cycling in and out. I also can't detect the compressor going in and out when actually driving in this setting either, and my fuel economy doesen't seem to be affected at all. The only reason I wonder is because when it's raining outside my windows like to fog up pretty quickly. I find that this setting does a better job at slowing the return of the fog after I shut down the defroster. I prefer to turn the defroster on only long enough to clear the windows and then shut it back down to minimize the impact on the fuel economy. I also don't like running the defroster for too long since I have a radiator block currently installed in the car and I've been told that running the AC when airflow across the condenser has been restricted can lead to problems. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Morning "redluvr", the A/C compressor does not cycle in that position. It only runs when in the AUTO position, or when you manually set the system to A/C ON, and ofcourse when you select the big defrost button. You are correct about running the A/C with a radiator block. Low or no air flow across the condenser will cause high head pressure and cause the radiator cooling fans to come on and then eventually shut the compressor off due to high compressor head pressure. This, ofcourse, won't happen as fast in cold winter weather, but it will happen at some point as the condenser no longer can do its designed job. If all systems are working correctly there will be no damage to the A/C, just less MPG because of the extra radiator fan load. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
From my observations:
When the mode for floor & defrost is on with the A/C off, the A/C will not turn on. If the defrost only mode is on the A/C will cycle on to dry the air.

My default mode 95% of the time is floor & defrost. I find the inside of the window stays clean for many more months when it always receives airflow. It never gets a chance to fog because dust likes to stick to moist glass.

·
Registered
466 Posts
the a/c compressor *does* cycle in the defrost mode, just like regular a/c mode. i put in a blue LED to keep track of when the compressor is running. good reminder to turn it off when i no longer need it. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts