Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several years now, I have used OEM Part Source (oempartsource.com) for the times when I need to purchase OEM parts directly from Honda. Until the last few months, I've never had any issues. But in the last few months to a 1/2 year, I had a couple of orders where I've waited a long time, for the item to ship. Right now, I have an order with them for intake manifold gaskets and brake/clutch rubber pedal covers. I placed the order on June 1st. Still waiting. I just got off the phone with them and they said that they have been having problems with Honda being slow, recently. They said that they didn't get a shipment from Honda last week and he expected a shipment this week. Hopefully he is right. Waiting more than two weeks for parts to ship seems like a lot to me.

The OEM Honda sites are all pretty close to each other, in price. But, I'd be curious if anybody has found that certain sites are shipping much more quickly than others. If anybody has such experience, I might start ignoring these little price differences and go with the dealer site that is shipping faster.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
Pretty much everything is messed up now. Thank you, Mr. Covid. It took us four months to get a microwave.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts, guys. I'll continue to sit tight, and hope they ship this week.

·
Registered
2000 MT
145 Posts
It's Honda but also the site. I place an order with them on April 4th. 2 parts were back ordered and I had to call them to find that 4 different parts have now been back ordered. I don't know why all the other parts weren't ordered and when the original 2 items were in just ship it out. Pretty frustrating considering the dollar amount involved and an unanswered email mid May. At least I got an estimated eta of the 28th of this month.

·
Registered
2005 NAVY BLUE PEARL CVT
68 Posts
I ordered on the CONICELLI website last week They are located in PENNSYLVANIA. Tracking update has it being delivered today or tomorrow. And I called the parts department and the rep was super friendly and verified they could fulfill the order quickly. Chris

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, thanks for telling your experiences. I'm wondering whether buying parts from a dealer located in a place whether there are more Insights, like maybe in California, might lead to faster ship times (with the thought that maybe they are more likely to be stocking G1 parts). But the G1 is getting so old, maybe no dealer stocks parts for them.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
I think that the time is approaching when most Honda parts will become unavailable. I just cut up a donor car, but I harvested a ton of stuff off it which I figure is or will become unavailable. I think others are doing the same. We have enough horders that we should be able to keep the cars going, and in good repair, for a number of years.

I harvested the emergency brake cables, and the rear beam axle, which I expect to become unavailable, plus lots of other stuff.

Lots of stuff is available from independent sources, and there are a number of parts which can be substituted, such as the EGR valve.

There is a thread somewhere discussing parts which may become crititcal, and what substitutions can be made.

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts
Like the others listed above the supply chain is a big problem right now. Honda may have a supply contractor that makes the part for them, like the gaskets you want. That contractor to Honda may have been shut down in what ever part of the world they are located. Also, there are stories of cargo ships lined up off the coast of California, that’s real.
I buy parts directly from a Honda dealer I’ve been doing business with for about 20 years. When I order parts that I used to get in one or two days, now are 10 days to 2 weeks. I believe in the Honda warehouses they have an employee shortage as not everyone has gone back to work.

As far as dealerships stocking parts on the shelf, for older models it’s pretty unheard of these days. The parts departments computers track their sales and then suggest to the parts manager what they order based o previous sales. There are some Insight parts that the dealership I use has on the shelf because I have been ordering the same things in quantity so I have forced some of there inventory. Usually the dealership I use has things like B spark plugs, rear engine mounts, many of the manual transmission bearings in stock, front struts, because I’ve ordered large quantities.

For the parts you want and have messaged me about, I do actually have them on the shelf and can ship them if you respond to the message and send payment.

The pedal pads you want, I currently have a small quantity and I have 10 more on back order with Honda. The local dealership I use will keep them on back order for me and when the order comes in will send them to me. Online dealerships in many cases won’t hold orders that go on back order because they don’t want to hold up your money and have to deal with all the phone calls of, Where are my Parts??

When I do the parts and sales business I do, like belly panels and suspension parts and fielding car questions, it is in conjunction with my normal day job, and currently building a house.

There was someone who recently called the shop and spoke with Jimmy. They said, "I’ve emailed/messaged him and hadn’t heard back???." Jimmy told them, "There is one of him and a whole bunch of you guys”.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, Jim and Scott. Yes, I recently bought a second G1. I almost have it running well. But I told my wife when I bought it that even if I couldn't get it running, that I could use it as a source of parts. Scott, I assure you that it wasn't me harassing the people at your garage. :) Maybe I'm a sucker. But now that the dealer is telling me that they expect the parts to ship this week, I'm inclined to wait on them. I do thank you for getting back to me. If I decide to give up on this order with the dealer, I may be back in touch.

Much obliged!
Bryan

·
Registered
2005 Honda Insight Automatic
69 Posts
I just ordered a break pedal cover from Hondapartsnow(.)com on Sunday night. I'll let you know how quickly it gets to me.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,469 Posts
Sorry I couldn't find a "break" pedal cover on their site.LOL

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! I'm not positive, but I suspect the delay is due to the rubber brake pedal covers.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
FWIW if you're sourcing new parts alldiscountparts.com is an amazing place. They have lots of obscure stuff and the customer service is exemplary. They even called me personally to update a few hard-to-find things I wanted and the lady on the phone told me how some of those parts are tucked away but she knows where to look to get them. Good prices too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Supply chains are goofy all over.

I order some stuff from the local Advance Auto, and it’s never in stock and not even overnight like auto parts stores used to be. RockAuto is pokey right now, too.

I tried a few different Honda sites, before discovering my local dealership’s parts lady was friendly and the prices are competitive, especially since I don’t pay shipping. They have nothing in stock for the Insight, but she’ll tell me what warehouse it’s in and how long it should take. Lately, it frequently takes a few more days or a week longer than she expects.

Hang in there…

- Park

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spoke with oempartsource.com, yesterday. They said that the brake/clutch pedal covers appeared to be the reason for the delay. And said it would be at least another 7 to 10 days, but maybe longer. I canceled my order and placed an order with Scott Kulbeck. But I will keep some of these other places that have been mentioned, in mind. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had kind of assumed that these delays were just with Honda dealer online sales, because it has been my previous experience that they were always slower than my local dealership (but I was usually willing to wait longer for online dealer places because of the cheaper prices). But I ordered two simple cluster bulbs from my local dealership today. He said "minimum 1 week to 10 days. Hopefully not longer." In the past, they have usually been able to get parts for me within 1-2 days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts