Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my dealership just called me and said the 2005 insights are about to come in and they want to work out a deal being that i've enquired about one not long ago(I guess we will be seeing a 2005 model after all:)

Question is, is it possible to adjust where the clutch sits?(not where it catches) I noticed when I sat in a 2003 model it was very close to the break. Being that I have a 13-14 size shoe I keep my right foot sort of horizontal so it actually blocked my left from using the clutch. If I could get the clutch over to the left a few inches then my left foot wouldn't hit my right, and my knee wouldn't hit the steering wheel.

Is this a possibility or just a pipe dream? I haven't driven a stick more than a couple times so I know little about them.

Thanks,
-Bob

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I have a size 13 foot, very wide too. I don't have the problems you describe. I rest the heel of my foot beneath the gas pedal, and when I brake, all I need to do is lift my toes and rotate my foot to the left, and I'm on the brake pedal.

Have you test-driven an Insight and tried straightening your foot?

Apologies if this is unhelpful...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do straighten my foot, but only when it get's tired on long trips- so I guess I could adjust. The biggest problem I noticed is that, due to the fact I have very long legs, my left knee is gonna be hitting the steering wheel.
The whole thing just felt awkward. Now if the clutch was moved left like 2 inches it would be perfect.

I would take it out for a test drive, but I'd have to practice on another stick first as i've only done it a handful of times many years ago. Unfortunately no one I know has one.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
2005? Yahoooo! :D :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bigtrobule77:

___Thank you for the 2005 Insight information … Are you sure it is a go with the dealership speaking to corporate or are they just saying it is a go to placate you?

___Thanks again Good Luck with your upcoming Insight!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3tg1n0tr][email protected][/email:3tg1n0tr]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xcel said:
Are you sure it is a go with the dealership speaking to corporate or are they just saying it is a go to placate you?
He basically said they are anticipating the 2005's to come in relatively soon and he wanted to see if I was still interested in one. He explained it would be much easier for him to locate me a 5 speed this way and they'd be willing to work on the price a bit more(as opposed to searching for a 2004 5 speed).

So I said "So they're making a 2005 model after all," and he replied, "yup." I can't be 100% certain being the guy is a car salesman so I'll try and get back to him this week about it and get some more info.

He did piss me off, tho... He said last week a used 5 speed came in and they sold it that week. I previously had them put the dealership on high alert for one of those for me:(

-Bob

·
Registered
242 Posts
clutch pedal

Bob wrote: "Question is, is it possible to adjust where the clutch sits?(not where it catches) I noticed when I sat in a 2003 model it was very close to the break. Being that I have a 13-14 size shoe I keep my right foot sort of horizontal so it actually blocked my left from using the clutch. If I could get the clutch over to the left a few inches then my left foot wouldn't hit my right, and my knee wouldn't hit the steering wheel."

Bob,

If there is no way to put a spacer on the clutch pedal pivot, the easiest thing to do (if you knew you were going to keep the car) would be to have a shop that does welding cut the lever and weld a spacer in it (taking the appropriate precautions to not damage any of the interior components). Or there should be some way to cut the lever and bolt a spacer on. You'd probably have to be willing to pay to undo this mod if you sold the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jim for the suggestions. I've tried adjusting my driving foot posture to see how uncomfortable the motions would be. I think I can pull it off OK, just need to change the way I sit. If it turns out to be an issue I can look into how doable your suggestion is.
Now I just need to find the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I wear a size 15 (sometimes 16) shoe. I've never had any problems with foot room on the Insight. In fact, it has more foot room than most of the other cars I've driven in my lifetime. Being tall I also have very long legs and I find the Insight to be very comfortable. I've noticed several other tall individuals complaining about their knees being too close to the steering wheel or too close to the dash board and I wonder how that can be since this car fits me just fine. It sounds to me like your problem is more from inexperience driving a manual transmission than from the pedals being placed too close together. Try squeezing into an S2000 once and you'll realize just how roomy the Insight is.

That being said, I'm sure you could fashion some sort of wide pedal cover to give a larger contact area for the clutch pedal which would allow you to move your foot over a bit. Maybe a brake pedal cover for an automatic would work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts