Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all Im new to this forum =)
anyhow, I want you to know i dont have an insight but started reading about them tonight and am definatly amazed at their technology and now Im fiending one!!!!!!
I have a S10 V6 Xtreme right now and yeah it gets me from home to work and back and yeah, but the trip cost me 4$ in gas!!!!!!!
I now realize i can make that same trip and have it cost about 4cents.
I am so excited, I really hope I can get one.
I do have a question, I live in Phoenix, AZ and driving on freeway inner city is about avg of 70mph and I go that speed in my truck.
I am a extreemly conservative driver, I take off slow and let off the gas really early before a light.
I am just wondering....do you all think this car is capable enough to maintain a 70 say 90mph cruise on a freeway?? Thats my only concern is that compared to my truck it will lack at high speeds in acceleration capabilities....I have read that it will not be the same at high speeds ... but how much of a difference ...like something I will drastically dread or...something that I am expecting the right amount of?
Its not often that I have to accelerate quickly in my truck at 60-80mph but sometimes...u just gotta u know...gotta pass the annoying people.
So, thats one of my concerns as of now =)
Oh and I am considering maybe buying an older one like a 2001-2003 model Insight.
Can anyone point me too or list the major differences between the 2000 to 2004 models? thanks =)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't think you are going to find any car that maintains 70 mpg at 90 mph. If you get a 5 speed limit the speed to 70 mph and use the A/C you will likely get 60+ mpg. At 90 mph the fuel economy is likely to be 45-50. My advise is to go test drive the Insight with your driving style. If you like it you will probably become one of those slow people in the right lane from time to time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well hrm...70mph is the norm/max, so does most of the other drivers here. I do on inner city freeway and Id say 80mph is max I do on inter city...which yeah right lane rule prolly apply =( as some fly down there at 95mph+, crazy people lol Im scared to go above 100 haha

·
Registered
569 Posts
GenTarkin said:
Hey all Im new to this forum =)
I do have a question, I live in Phoenix, AZ and driving on freeway inner city is about avg of 70mph and I go that speed in my truck.
I am a extreemly conservative driver, I take off slow and let off the gas really early before a light.
I am just wondering....do you all think this car is capable enough to maintain a 70 say 90mph cruise on a freeway?? Thats my only concern is that compared to my truck it will lack at high speeds in acceleration capabilities....I have read that it will not be the same at high speeds ... but how much of a difference ...like something I will drastically dread or...something that I am expecting the right amount of?
Its not often that I have to accelerate quickly in my truck at 60-80mph but sometimes...u just gotta u know...gotta pass the annoying people.
Welcome. I recently made a 150 mile trip driving mostly between 80 and 90 MPH(I was in a major hurry), and I froget the exact mileage, but it was over 50MPG. Passing is no problem, at least not for me. I pass on two lane highways where everyone else is afraid to. I pass at 40 and I pass at 70MPH. You will love the car!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
To illustrate the difference speed makes on fuel economy consider the following. My wife attended a Karate tournament in Alabama this week with a friend. On the way there she drove 70 mph on average and averaged 52 mpg in a 04 Prius. On the way back (they left late and wanted to get home) her friend averaged 80 mph (going 95 in some areas) and the tank average is sitting at 43 mpg. THis is nearly a 20% drop for a 15% increase in speed. On the other hand if they had driven at 60 mph I am sure they would have averaged in the low 60's. The point is that people complain about the cost of gas yet they have a lot of control over how much they use (speed and acceleration rates). For someone that has a 60 mile one way commute and drives at 80 mph they can make the run in 45 minutes. If they would just leave 15 min earlier they could make the drive in 1 hour at 60 mph and probably use 30-40% less fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Welcome. Go for the 5 speed, you will find it has sufficient acceleration for passing on the freeway, especially if you drop it into fourth (or even third) gear. I normally drive in the fast lane (got to show them that Hybrids aren't slow!). The Insight is a great small car, it handles very well due to its firm suspension & light weight - I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IM TOTALLY fiending now =) mmm gotta get one...
I do mixed 50/50 city highway driving so, I expect I will get great mileage.
if I do get the lowend of its mileage by going 80 all the time on highway well, I See it as hrm....55mpg vs my truck thats 26mpg still more then 2x the mileage on highway =)
and when I start hitting the 70+ mileage ranges, I will friek out for joy LOL. thats just crazy 70mpg is like unconcievable to me right now =)
heck, bring on the 4$ per gallon gas prices....Ill be ready =)
Thanks for all the feedback guyz, I will probably have many more questions in near future...hehe

G

·
0 Posts
Hi GenTarkin:

___I know your enthusiasm has spiked the crazy meter but please make sure an Insight is right for you before pulling out your VISA for one. The mileage capabilities of this car can be absolutely insane but when driving 80 + to receive just 2X the mileage of many other far more comfortable automobiles is where I would consider a pause to evaluate your actual wants and needs? 80 + in particular is where you may find the Insight lacking after just a few thousand miles behind the windscreen. Might I pass on the anecdotal evidence of why there are so many relatively low mileage Insight’s being offered up on Ebay, Autotrader, and Cars.com? The fact is, not only are they just 2 seaters, they are not the most comfortable lot in terms of NVH or rear view in comparison to just about anything out there. As your speed rises, these facts will become quite evident in a very short period of time.

___And with that, if you let the 5-speed teach you to drive for maximum fuel economy (at the limits and with the proper high fuel economy setup), you will not only be surprised at its efficiency, you will be surprised at the pump every time you do have to fill her up which isn’t that often ;)

___Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your test drive.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3om2787d][email protected][/email:3om2787d]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, My S10 isnt the most comfy vehicle either and its only a 2 seater with a big patio in the back, actually its a extended cab that has a 3rd seat but its never used...and the extended portion is comparable to the back part of the Insight, as far as the usefulness I could get from it(mainly throwing work papers back there as garbage) =P
Comfort isnt really a concern to me, because I find that the more comfort in a car there is, the more on a drive I tend to fall asleep. I have fallen asleep in my dads huge dodge ram because its like Im sitting at a normal table when driving, and fallen asleep in the durango again its like a big comfy couch at a table, My S10 is lowered and feels like a little car in comparison and Im not sitting up so comfortably, never got tired or drifty in my S10. its not often that I go over 80, the only time I do is if Im traveling to another city. In town in my truck I currently never go over 80 unless theres some way I have to make the next exit and Im not in the right lane =P. So, the way I see it, Im just loosing my patio in the back of my truck if I get this car, as far as space goes...and I hardly use that part of my truck anyhow. I will go test drive a CVT I guess, I hope I can find a dealer that has one on the lot...my 5spd skills arent up to par. Last time I drove manual was when I was learning how to drive one several years ago haha.
Only thing I worry about is if I get a used one is its battery condition, and I know depending how many years old the car is determines the batteries projected 8yr span =( so it could be like in 4 years have to change battery if I get a older 2000model or something.

-- I mean all in all with what I said, does it sound like Im still expecting too much from this car and just setting myself up for a huge let down or do you think I am seeing this from the right angles thus far?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi GenTarkin:

___I used to own a 2001 Extended Cab S-10. About all I can add is that you really need to drive the 5-speed to see what she is like. A CVT at 80 + will probably be down in the low 40’s more then likely so I wouldn’t even consider that automobile for your high percentage highway - high speed daily grind.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:367z9x11][email protected][/email:367z9x11]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xcel since you had the same truck as me...how would you compare this car to the truck, did urs have the 4.3 v6? thanks =)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi GenTarkin:

___No, I had the 4 banger w/ a stick. The Chevrolet S-10 was much quieter and had a much smoother ride. The mileage in it however was nothing compared to an Insight. This was my landscape truck however, not my daily commuter …

___Let me put it another way. My 03 Corolla LE w/ Auto when commuting at 80 + on the highway was achieving ~ 33 - 35 mpg w/ A/C. If I were driving at that speed in the Insight 5-speed, I would imagine 50 - 55 mpg would be the norm w/out A/C. The Corolla is much quieter, has a much smoother ride, and you can use the A/C with only a 7 - 8 % hit in fuel economy. A 4-door Corolla or Civic’s utility should be self explanatory. I am also running 50 #’s in the GY Integrity’s in the Corolla if that helps. If I were to use A/C while attempting to maintain a 100 mpg average in the Insight, I would quite literally lose 35 - 40% of my fuel economy with the push of the button so it’s a no go. Also at 80 + in the Insight 5-speed, lean burn is all but a distant memory and A/C use would probably knock you back to 50 mpg at best. All I want to make sure is that you know what you are getting into. A TDI could still achieve 40 + mpg at those kind of speeds and it would be far more comfortable a ride and cost a similar amount if purchasing new.

___Now, if you travel at a small amount above the speed limit, a 5-speed Insight’s mileage will still be phenomenal. You may in fact still achieve a 70 - 75 mpg average. Travel below the max speed limits and use the techniques and setups most of us use for maximum fuel economy, 100 mpg is not out of the realm of possibility every once in a while. If you really push it, 100 mpg can become an average in warmer temperatures and mostly flat terrain. There is nothing available that we have access to that can touch these kinds of numbers when our little beauties are driven to maximize that aspect of their capabilities.

___As for costs, a used Insight 5-speed is a steal. A new one is very very expensive for what you receive in fuel savings and or utility.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:wo8pa2dw][email protected][/email:wo8pa2dw]

·
Registered
408 Posts
One thing that hasn't been noted yet is the fact that traffic conditions drastically effect the mpg figures. At night when I drive with very little traffic, I find it hard to stay at 65 mph while getting 60-65 mpg. In contrast, I've taken trips in the daytime with the A/C with fairly heavy (but fast moving, 75-80 mph) traffic and have gotten well over 70 mpg. If you eventually decide that the Insight may not be right for you, then as posted above, something with a TDI would probably suite your needs. VW makes a Jetta TDI that gets 50 mpg on the highway. Not very good emmissions but mileage may be on par with the Insight in those conditions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
GenTarkin, hi from a fellow Phoenician. What everyone has said so far is right. An Insight will have no problem doing the drive you plan on doing, but just don't expect the high high mileage. You will also want to factor in AC use into the mileage equation. At 70 with the AC on I would have to say youd be getting around 55mpg if you pump up the tires to 50psi like most of us do. With the AC off it would probably land you in the lower 60's. Thats at constant cruising speed on flat ground (which I-17 and I-10 for the most part are close enough to). The 101 is worse, it tends to go up and down and up and down, which sucks away some mileage.

No matter what if your looking for mileage the Insight can't be beat. Last I checked Earnhardts Honda still had their blue 04 Automatic (probably worth finding a 5 speed), and I was told a dealership in Tucson has a 2000 Silver 5 speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Aaron Cake:

___And the Insight will get at least 30 mpg at 101 mph ;) How long does assist last before the pack is depleted while pegged like above?

___And damn, that was gutsy move to take that pic!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:ehmz0802][email protected][/email:ehmz0802]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha kewlio =)
well I guess that goes for all cars in some sense, that mileage just dies at those speeds ....

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Because of its rather good aerodynamics the Insight can still achieve rather good mileage at crazy speeds. At some speed you drop out of lean burn and that causes a big hit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hrm...I read somewhere on this site a breif paragraph as to what lean burn is, but cant find it...is there a link someone could provide that shows it in detail? thanks =)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts