Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2006 CVT, I have noticed, mostly when coasting downhill or just deaccelerating in general that the car gets very jerky sometimes. Is this normal?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Watch your regen (charge) guage next time you coast or go down a hill and see if it corresponds to the jerking you refer to. MY CVT will sometimes kick in and out of regen mode going down hills or coasting giving a a little jerking/bucking feeling. I never worried much about it as I think it's normal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott said:
Watch your regen (charge) guage next time you coast or go down a hill and see if it corresponds to the jerking you refer to. MY CVT will sometimes kick in and out of regen mode going down hills or coasting giving a a little jerking/bucking feeling. I never worried much about it as I think it's normal.
I will try to pay attention to the regen meter next time. It happens a few times a week. I drive in a hilly area so i do a lot of coasting. I assumed it was normal, but am paranoid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I haven't done any serious uphill or downhill driving in my CVT Insight (I live in FL) so I really can't say for sure if my CVT is behaving properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
herky jerkies

My 2005 has been jerking when I accelerate for a few months now. The dealer is clueless, naturally. I know more about the car than they do. They kept it for a couple days and said it didn't jerk for them.
There are alot of older posts concerning this problem on this site so it's not uncommon. It is annoying, though, and vaguely worrying.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: herky jerkies

egarten said:
It is annoying, though, and vaguely worrying.
More annoying than anything! Hopefully not worrisome. My cousin has the Highlander CVT, I'll ask him if his car does it too!

·
Registered
231 Posts
This sounds like the classic EGR valve problem. Search for EGR and see if you find anything.

I also have an Insight CVT and a Nissan Murano CVT. Neither of them do this.

James

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jbrasure said:
This sounds like the classic EGR valve problem. Search for EGR and see if you find anything.

I also have an Insight CVT and a Nissan Murano CVT. Neither of them do this.

James
Thanks.
What should we look for and is it fixable ourselves?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a search and found some helpful info, will show to my husband, the car guy. Is it weird that I only hve 1500miles on my car? I have a long drive this weekend, should i be concerned about the car?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't have a herky jerky type feeling when coasting down hill, but it does slow a little (doesn't coast as fast) when regen kicks in. Once regen turns off, it picks up 1 MPH or so.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a reproduceable herky jerky in two places that happens about 66% of the time on my commute:

I start the car, reverse out of the drive way, stop, put it in drive, give a tiny bit of gas, then coast down the hill (25mph) to the gate.
As I slow down to wait for the gate to open, as my speed goes from 5 to 0, I get my first jerk. It feels like the [cold] CVT disengages the start clutch, and I lose creep, and then engages it again (or it doesn't if I come to a complete stop).
Gate opens, a bit more gas, then coast down the hill to the light (35mph). usually stopping at the light, gas it on level ground to 40mph, then coast down another hill (reaching 45mph. these hills are also in order from smallest to largest).
Then i turn onto level ground for about a mile, cruising at 45. As i pass the train station that always has a red light at it, I get off the gas really early and coast to about 30mph, and only then do I feather the brake pedal. this is when the second herky jerky happens. I see the gauge go from charge, to no charge, to LOTS of charge, and then settling down at a normal charge rate.

So to me, it seems like a combination of a relatively cool engine [and transmission?] with a long coast followed by braking is what causes my herky jerky.

it's quite similar to what scott describes. i have almost 50k on my 2001 cvt

·
Registered
95 Posts
My '04 does this in exactly the same spot every time. The spot is right by my house. The regen stops abruptly, but starts right back up once I/m past this particular spot. Does it in both driving directions, too. Has never sone it anywhere else, go figure.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Valiant118 said:
My '04 does this in exactly the same spot every time. The spot is right by my house. The regen stops abruptly, but starts right back up once I/m past this particular spot. Does it in both driving directions, too. Has never sone it anywhere else, go figure.
Would you believe ever since i posted this it has not done it!!! go figure. i was trying to replicate it for my husband. lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been having the same type of problem with my 2002 CVT, ever since it hit around 40,000 or 50,000 miles. Although the symptoms sound the same, I can reproduce mine under slightly different conditions.

The "jerking" and "bucking" usually occur within 5 minutes of starting up the car. I pull out of the community, and get on either the 5 freeway, or the 261 tollway down here in Orange County, and upon full accelleration, usually around 70mph (I know, but this is southern California... you'll get run off the road for doing less than 80), the car will start violently bucking... definitely noticeable to my wife when she is in the car, to the point that she'll gasp. I have to pull completely off the gas for the bucking to stop, and upon reapplication of the gas, I can normally go the rest of the ride without a repeat of the incident.

I have also been able to replicate the bucking in another way (not that I'm trying). Again, within minutes of starting the car, I will be on a freeway entrance ramp, will go full accelleration up until about 30, pull off the gas to account for slow or merging traffic in front of me, and when I lightly apply the gas again, the entire car will buck like crazy, almost as if it is shaking itself apart. Again, laying off the gas will remedy the situation, and I will usually not get a repeat for the rest of the trip.

In both cases, I have not noticed anything going screwy on the dashboard in terms of charges/assists/etc.

This has been going on for a few months now. I'm reluctant to take it in to the dealer, as they didn't even know how much oil to put in the car when I took it in (the overfilled it, and it started stalling and giving me engine errors).

I've read here that for some people that EGR valve thing works, but for others, it doesn't. I'm hoping that my (slightly) different conditions may spark some more comments on the situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: herky jerkies

egarten said:
My 2005 has been jerking when I accelerate for a few months now. The dealer is clueless, naturally. I know more about the car than they do. They kept it for a couple days and said it didn't jerk for them.
There are alot of older posts concerning this problem on this site so it's not uncommon. It is annoying, though, and vaguely worrying.
Mine has been doing this too for the past few months.

First new post since I can't remember my old password.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I took my car in to the dealer today because my battery was beyond dead (after I jumped it, the systems went off-line one by one as I drove it to the dealer, climaxing with the failure of the power steering... that was fun). Anyway, the relevant point is that when the tech road tested it after putting in the new battery, he noticed the bucking that everyone, including me, has been talking about (I didn't bother asking them about it beforehand, since everybody here has implied that it's a lost cause). Seems he knew exactly what was causing it. Apparently, the bucking is due to a breakdown of the CVT fluid. The service rep says that the CVT fluid breaks down like crazy, and needs to be replaced every 10k-15k miles. Hopefully, this will be the end of my bucking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts