Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tank size do you have your scanguage set at? The sg manual says round down to nearest whole number. The Insight tank capacity is 10.6 gal. My sg came preset at 12 gal, not sure why.

·
Registered
106 Posts
12 gallons is a standard average tank size for small cars and small trucks.

I would set the tank size as 10, so that the miles to empty is more conservative. I hate to run out of fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
scangauge

I have a 2010 insight got it mid Sept. Love it. I want to get the best mileage I can and was interested in this thread as I have found that when I use my calculator to figure mileage at fill ups it is always off a couple of miles per gallon from what the car says. How do you go about checking and changing the scangauge setting? I'm going to go out and check the tire pressure and bring it up to 40psi for starters. Thanks , Mike:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
When you fill, in the Scangauge, correct the gallons entered to the real amount. (If the amount filled is correct, leave it be.)

Compare the tank miles between the Insight and the Scangauge. You may need to calibrate the scangauge mileage as well. (It is covered in the book, or you can ask here later.)

Be sure to set the fuel to "Hybrid" on the SG. (I forgot this, it gets annoying having it shut off at red lights.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry but, what the hell are you all talking about? what's a scangauge, is there something I can change on the computer to get my MPG corrected?

·
Registered
4 Posts
scangauge

Is the scangauge an add-on ? I've looked in my manual and find nothing about it. All I have is what reads out on the dash. Always different from my calculator. Did improve my milage by 6-8 miles per gallon by increasing tire pressure from 29 to 40. Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
A Scangauge (or Scangauge2) is a OBDII compliant code scanner and data display.

They cost about $160-$200 (us) and will plug into most recent model cars. (Most everything from 86 and on.)

It will read and clear trouble codes (Check engine light.) as well as give you a real time display of your fuel economy, engine temps, throttle position, exhaust O2 levels, horsepower, miles to empty... (The list goes on.)

In an Insight with fuel economy gauge built in, it is less useful. Unless you are using a radiator block, hot air intake, or other modification and want to stay safe.

Mine lives in my wife's Neon. She gets much better fuel economy with it than without it. (She corrects her habits to get better mileage. about 10%.)

try googling the name "Scangauge" to learn more.

Yes, increasing your tire pressure from 29 to 40 psi can give you that kind of improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One note, it is an OBDII scanner that attaches to 1996 and newer vehicles (not 1986).

My truck is a 1995 and will not attach to it. :mad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
One note, it is an OBDII scanner that attaches to 1996 and newer vehicles (not 1986).

My truck is a 1995 and will not attach to it. :mad:
Thank you for the correction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts