Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 I2 that is still under manufacturer's warranty. Over and above, I have Honda Care Coverage as well. I am coming close to a maintenance minder and my questions are as follows:

1. Do I have to go to a de(Ste)alership for maintenance to avoid voiding of my warranty?
2. If I do not go to a dealership, will I have warranty (manufacturer or honda care) issues down the line where they may not honor an independent shop's scheduled maintenance work leaving me to foot the entire bill for a potential problem?
3. If I have to go to a dealership, do I have to do everything they tell me to do... for example, last time I was at the honda dealer (for my previus car) they charged me for changing other fluids over the standard oil change and slapped all kinds of dealer nonsense that I'm sure I didnt need.
4. Also, if I do have to go to a dealership, any one know a half decent one in the Orange County (california) area?

And thanks in advance for the responses. This forum has been quite helpful and full of resources.

·
3,641 Posts
1. No
2. Shouldn't
3. No. Your money.
4. N/A

Keep good records.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Indeed you do not need to use a dealer to keep your warranty. That said, we have been using the dealer for all maintenance since our trusted independent
proved to not really be on board with newer cars. I have also found that any decent independent will cost as much as the dealer.

We use Norm Reeves in Huntington Beach. (even thought the Cerritos store is much closer, that place is a nightmare!)

Know what your car needs and just have them do that. Except for the major service (105k) our other Hondas have needed (no timing belt on an Insight) we have never had any dealers "service" Mostly it's just change the oil please. Right after that I go up the street where the tire store will rotate the tires for free. Now with the Insight I (and the other Honda automatics) I have had the trans fluid changed more often. The oil change & trans fluid costs about what they want for a "service" But I get what I really need for the money. It's all about sales resistance.

If you do decide to go independent, just make sure they know your car takes an unusual oil.

By the way, I never had a car serviced at the selling dealer. Buying is all about price. Service is about competence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I own a 2012 I2 that is still under manufacturer's warranty. Over and above, I have Honda Care Coverage as well. I am coming close to a maintenance minder and my questions are as follows:

1. Do I have to go to a de(Ste)alership for maintenance to avoid voiding of my warranty?.
Your Owner Manual gives you the Answers in Writing on Page 344:
service at a dealership is not mandatory to keep your warranties in effect.

·
3,641 Posts
Thanks Egads, I may try Norm Reeves out and see how it goes. I am due for an oil change!
I'm confused. You ask if you are free to take the car to a shop besides the dealer, referring to them as "stealership", we confirm the answer for you that you can spend your money anywhere you want without (automatically) voiding the warranty, but yet you decide to try the Norm Reeves Honda Dealer. :confused:

At least report back about your experience.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If one has an independent shop they trust then use them. At least the dealer has seen an Insight before. I also figure a dealer has a deeper pocket if they screw anything up. Back before I used the dealer I paid a shop to replace two different items that were known problems dealers fixed for free. I also have had the dealer fix things out of warranty for free since starting to use them. Our Odyssey got an automatic transmission replaced at a deep discount at 150k, just because we were good customers. I left the independent after leaving our old Civic there with carte blanche to fix anything they found before my daughter took it on vacation. They missed the leaking master cylinder. My daughter calls from hundreds of miles away saying her brake pedal in going to the floor. They also charged my wife for a 30k service on her then new Odyssey. There was even a line item for coolant replacement (that thankfully they did not seem to do) but did not replace the cabin filter. I'm surprised they didn't want to change the spark plugs.

All that said, I had the opposite experience with the Mazda's I've owned. I had to find a good independent for those. Never did find a decent Mazda dealer.

I think if one is cheap or distrustful, you need to learn how to do your own service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts