Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am only 18 and was thinking of buying a 2004 possibly 2005 Honda Insight and have seen a few in my area. Well I would like to know is a Honda Insight really worth buying? I mean can it really get up to the gas mileage that it says that it can? How does the Insight handel? How fast does the Insight accelerate? How is the acceleration with the A/C on? How smooth is the ride/drive? How good is your gas mileage? Is the digital speedomitor hard to see during the day? What made you want to buy the car other than the gas mileage? Does the 2004 Honda Insight even come with cruise control, because I know that the other years do not? Has anyone ever had any problems with there Insight since they have owned it?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Yes yes yes yes!

The best thing to do is go try one, that will answer most of your questions.

It is easy to get the rated mpg and higher.

I handles well and is fun (people in this forum do autocross in their Insights - see those posts).

It accelerates fine. It is not a 500 hp car, but it is plenty fun because it is so small and agile.

I can't comment on AC acceleration, as I usualy don't use AC. I've not noticed a difference.

My mpg is above the EPA over the life my ownership.

I originally scorned digital, but the numbers are huge and it is in fact much easier to read than a conventional speedometer. I was surprised, and now I like it better.

My primary reason to TEST DRIVE it was hybrid and mpg. After test driving it, I think the fact that it is cool and peppy and agile is about equal to the high mpg.

Check posts for cruise control questions.

I have had no problems!

Test one out and enjoy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of questions :)

For starters, you should look at the following sections of InsightCentral (they really helped me out):

Knowledge Base: http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/index.html

Many of your questions can be answered in this section.

Also, the owners section: http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/index.html

You will find info about Lifetime miles per gallon, etc.

In addition you should search for specific topics on this board, there are many useful posts to read :)

Good luck and hope you do decide to get an insight...love mine :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Chris:

I mean can it really get up to the gas mileage that it says that it can?

___Yes, in spades! You will have to learn how to drive and set it up properly for its real eye popping fuel economy capability however.

How does the Insight handle?

___Very well actually. You point it and it goes there. You may want to do a quick search on the term tramlining here however.

How fast does the Insight accelerate?

___0 - 60 in ~ 10.5 seconds w/ the 5-speed.

How is the acceleration with the A/C on?

___I don’t run with the A/C on either although in my short experiences with it, it is a significant draw.

How smooth is the ride/drive?

___This is the Insight’s Achilles heel as it is a very harsh ride :(

How good is your gas mileage?

___Excellent!

Is the digital speedometer hard to see during the day?

___Not at all. When you shut off the headlights, the display brightens up. You can see it in full sunlight without a problem.

What made you want to buy the car other than the gas mileage?

___That was the number 1 reason although picking it up used for the price I did was nice as well. Thanks Arizona Rick!

Does the 2004 Honda Insight even come with cruise control?

___No. Using cruise control will drop your overall fuel economy although you have to drive one for quite a few miles to figure out why … You can purchase an aftermarket Rostra unit if you are dead set on one.

Has anyone ever had any problems with there Insight since they have owned it?

___Sure, just like any other car. Mine has been pretty reliable over its short 50,000 mile + life. 24,000 + of that is my own.

___As Figgy mentioned, go drive one to make sure it is right for you.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1lvaqrgx][email protected][/email:1lvaqrgx]

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I have driven 101K miles on it without any problems, so far I have replaced the battery coolant, and the spark plugs and of course the oil.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
As a technologist I say that this car is awesome. I see aluminum everywhere and I'm in high tech heaven. The Insight is Honda's gift to those who love great design. I always liked my CRX si, but my Insight was love at first sight. Personally I don't find the ride harsh at all but that is coming from a background of bikes and sports cars. Properly cared for the aluminum bodied Insight could last until you are over 50 like me! :shock: That's a scarry thought, so take your time and ask questions. Many of us here could only be persuaded to part with our Insights for an Insight 2, which is rumoured to be out in late 2005, but it will probably cost significantly more.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Insight. I'd get the 5-speed for better economy.

Note that EPA estimates are probably 20% better on any given vehicle because they don't factor in today's more agressive driving styles.

Going the posted 60 mph speed limit on the freeway - milage is 75 mpg.

Going 75 mph or more - freeway milage is 50-55 mpg.

Worst case - 40 mpg if you drive like Domino's pizza deivery in a residential area.

If you are like most members here, the video game on the dashboard to get better milage will be too much fun to use a cruise control.

Driving an Insight will make you a safer driver. To get the best milage, you must pay attention to the dashboard and road conditions, but it's fun!

While you can drive the Insight like any other car, a few weeks of watching the dashboard will improve fuel economy about 20%, even for agressive driving.

If you can pick a color, avoid silver. I like it, but I've been hit at 7 am and 7 pm because it's harder to see at those hours.

It's usually five-litter plus pickups that have the urge to race past me. They lose about 80% of the time. If the acceleration of the electric assist (IMA) does not get them, the nimble ability of the Insight to break through a small hole in traffic will. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I've used the ac a lot this summer in Richmond. It certainly lowers my fuel economy - maybe 5 -10 %. You can certainly feel the load on the engine, but I never have any problem keeping up with traffic. You can just sacrifice a little more economy and rev the engine a bit higher.

Jim

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Any Insight owner will likely tell you that the Insight is worth buying, otherwise that owner wouldn't have bought it. It can get up to and exceed the EPA rated mileage, if you pay attention to the fuel consumption display. Your Mileage May Vary. Handling and acceleration are adequate for my needs but automobile magazine reviewers like to complain about both (they seem to complain about anything that isn't a BMW or a Porsche). A/C definitely puts the hurt on acceleration when the compressor is running. Compressor doesn't run all the time with climate control A/C, so the impact is lessened. My gas mileage is 67mpg with over 70k miles driven. The dash is easy to read at all times. Other factors that made me want to buy it were the nice interior and instrument layout, the pure tech geek factor, and the hatchback. No cruise. Problems: I had to get the driver's side window regulator replaced to repair an auto-down feature, and the botched repair resulted in appearance of a door leak about a year later. Also had to replace the EGR valve to deal with rough engine operation.

Phew.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
As several have mentioned, MPG depends quite a lot on your driving style. I've been averaging about 75 MPG in mountainous country, without getting really obsessive about driving for economy. That is, I tend to drive a bit above the traffic flow, but not so much that the Highway Patrol is likely to single me out for special attention. I try to drive smoothly, judging lights & traffic so I'm not always hitting the brakes or gas, and so on - techniques that get the best MPG out of any car.

I do find the display a bit of a problem when wearing sunglasses. The amber parts, like the speed, are fine, but the green is pretty dim.

Other than that, the only problem I've had involved learning (by being caught in a 3-hour traffic jam just at dark) that when the 12-volt battery goes dead, the main battery pack won't start the car. So if you get stuck in such, don't run the stereo and dome light :-(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just how long is the battery in the car supposed to last? I thought that the battery couldn't die because it is recharged by regenerated braking and that when you come to a stop the engine shuts off. Well as far as test driving one goes I can't even test drive one because the dealers in my area don't have the car instock, so if I wanted one I would have to order it. Does anyone have the Beige interior in their 2004 Honda Insight? How is it, do you like it? Do you neccessarily have to get the Beige interior in the 2004 Honda Insight or can you get the Black and Grey interior like in the previous years?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The battery will eventually die. One person got 147k miles on his and we've got over 60k on ours and it's still kicking just fine. The battery will do a recalibration every once in a while where the charge drops to the lowest on the meter (20% charge) and then recharge through the engine/braking up to full again (80% charge). When in auto stop, the Insight will use some battery to run all the interior electronics (not much though).

We live in Florida so the A/C is used most of the year. Our average lifetime mpg is 64.5. The A/C does drain some power and gas mileage so tinting the windows is a common solution to aid in this problem. The Insight can accelerate quickly but most of the time, you will find yourself trying to use as little electric assist as possible and accelerate fairly slow. The handling of the car is great (we also own a MINI Cooper S) but the fact that the Insight is very light produces a less dampened feel from it's stiff springs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that is what I was thinking of doing when I got mine is to tint the windos on it. I would like to get a 2004 possibly 2005 Honda Insight in Monte Carlo Blue Peril with a CVT. I don't know if I will be able to get one this year but probly next year.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Chris said:
So just how long is the battery in the car supposed to last?
Note that james was talking about the 12-volt battery (standard car battery but in a small size), and not the 144v IMA battery. The 12v battery gets very little use and this ironically shortens its lifespan, and when the 12v battery dies it prevents the starting of the Insight.

The IMA battery is a pack of 120 1.2v DC NiMH rechargeable D-cells. These batteries will not last forever, but they do last a long time. They are warrantied for 8yrs/80k miles. Replacement cost of the entire pack is approx. $3000 IIRC.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I doubt that james. I left little blue in idle stop for about half an hour with the headlights on, fan running, radio and charging my running iPod. The battery meter dropped from about half way down to two bars.

Of course I could be wrong in which case I deserve to be slapped around with a big trout.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
You can definitely drain your IMA battery with a kickin' stereo, I have done it with my Wayland sound system :D

It's also a good way to give your 12v battery a workout. Put it through its paces now and again so it doesn't spend its entire life being given a positive float.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the deal with Insight's with CVT restarting after putting it into park? For example on a later post this guy said that "When I pull into a parking spot for work I of course run into auto stop mode but, I go ahead and put it into park while the car is still on which restarts the engine before I pull out the key" Why would it restart after putting it into park? Does anyone even use that bin in the back of there car?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dunno about the CVT restart but I use the bin ALL the time. It's the perfect size for a laptop. Personally, I was able to fit a small form factor PC, flat panel monitor, laptop in a bag, keyboard, mouse, cables and emergency 12v air pump and I still had room.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I think that it can be related to the release of the brake pedal which looses some vacum and the engine is restarted to create the vacum back.

Probably (note that I have a 5 speed) that if the guy closes the ignition BEFORE releasing the brake pedal, it will not restart.

My 2cents.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts