Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering purchasing a used Insight, and there is one at a dealer near me that I've been looking at. However, I've noticed that the OEM wheels and tires have been replaced with standard cast wheel hubs and cheapo tires.

My question is: I understand that the Insights computer reads from numerous sensors and keeps track of a great deal of information. If the wheels are different on this car, that may cause the speedometer and the odometer to read incorrectly, which may or may not cause havok on the computer. Is having different wheels a big deal on an Insight, and if so, is it expensive or difficult to obtain OEM wheels?

Also, on a related note, how much should I expect to pay for a used Insight? The one I've been looking at is a 2000. And (sorry to diversify this thread so much) what sort of things should I check on it? I thought to check the odometer of course and I was also going to check the lifetime MPG to see what sort of mileage it's been getting. (an indication of how it's been driven, I'd expect)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it's a standard transmission, and I live in Canada.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Eww, I don't like the sound of steel wheels. The alluminum alloy wheels on the Insight are made for not only light weight but contribute to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Actually in Japan our wheels are optional, if you don't get them they come with steel wheels with hub caps. The tires would be more of an issue I would think though. Standard tire size on the Insight is 165/65/14. There has been some discussion of this of late, a 175/65/14 will actually put the odometer at the proper speed as it reads fast as it sits. The main issue with the tires is that they probably aren't low rolling resistance like the Potenza tires that come on the Insight. It will be difficult if not impossible to get the rated mileage out of the car with them.

The OEM wheels run about $375 USD each! Rather expensive, although most oem wheels are. If you watch ebay long enough some are likely to come along. I almost wounder if the previous owner had some winter tires put on some cheap wheels and has the alloy ones still in his garage.

As far as price, depends on the mileage. Check kelly blue book or the others. There may be a different price guide for Canada. I'm not sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts