Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very afraid of having anyone touch my car. I got a recall notice in the mail (see problems board) and need to take my Insight in. It also needs an oil change. Should entrusting the local honda dealer be okay? Should my husband change the oil? I don't want my tire covers to fly off while i drive it home!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those that have experience working on their own cars prefer not to let mechanics mess around with their cars. But you should not be afraid to bring your car to your local honda dealer because they are responsible if they break something. But I suggest removing the rear wheel covers and leaving them at home whenever you bring your car in and you know the mechanics need access to your rear wheels or rear brakes. This will reduce the chances that they screw up the installation of the rear wheel covers causing them to fall off later.
Mechanics usually overfill the Insight with engine oil. It only takes 2.5 Liters so it's better to bring them exactly 2.5 Liters of oil and tell them to use it. As soon as you get your car back check the oil level and be prepared to yell at them if (when) they over fill the engine oil more then a few mm extra.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they need to remove the wheel covers for anything i described? Should i just bring it in for the recall and have my husband do the oil change? I have read everyone's wheel cover stories in horror. Everytime i hear a funny noise (like riding over a water bottle in the road) i look to make sure my cover did not fall off!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I never let anyone but myself change the oil. Dealership goons are known for screwing other things up if you let them do it. Oil changes are so freaking easy on this car to begin with that every owner should do it themselves.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a step by step on the oil change on this website? I did a search and could not find it. Not a step by step, but more of a facts you should know? (like not overflowing it......)

DH is a mechanic but is scared of my car :) He only wants to work on big bad engines :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
:lol: If he messes up it won't be the car giving him grief. ;)

Like changing a spark plug, changing oil is a relatively straightforward task. A good mechanic can tell a lot about the health of the engine from either. A bad mechanic can really mess things up.

The Insight oil change is remarkably like any other, with 2 important differences:

First you have to take off the under engine panels.

Second, the oil plug threads into cast magnesium which is relatively soft and can be stripped if excess torque is applied to it.

Note: A vacuum drain system has been used by forum members and it can really simplify this task. A quick drain has also been used/discussed. :idea:

Kip's personal suggestions:

Don't wear a good shirt.

Use synthetic oil.

Note the position of the shoulder bolts for the aero covers.

Afterwards, use a little anti seize on the cover bolt threads when replacing them.

Clean loose dirt from the oil filter area before unscrewing it

Smear a little clean oil on the new oil filter seal before installing.

Tighten the filter with a strap wrench or oil filter wrench to avoid to avoid puncturing it.

Don't over tighten it.

Remember to add oil, and remember to replace the filler cap. ;)

Afterwards, check the oil level twice wiping with a cloth in between, with the car on a level surface.

Use the empty containers for the used oil, but don't leave them hanging around.

Never work on your car late at night!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't overtighten the oil drain plug. The magnesium alloy oil pan is very expensive. Many mechanics have damaged the fragile Insight oil pans and some try to deny it was their fault.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've done every oil change on my Insight since new (now 44K) and never used a filter or strap wrench. Always been able to remove and tighten by hand and never had so much as a leak. I've also reused the crush washer several times without a leak. Yes, I realize they are only about 25 cents or so, but I usually don't feel like driving 30 miles for a 25 cent part. I've been using Super Tech, (Wal-Mart) oil filters and Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic 2.6 Qts w/filter change. Some on this forum have suggested Rhino ramps, also Wal-Mart for oil changes etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
merigayle said:
Not a step by step, but more of a facts you should know? (like not overflowing it......)
Is there a vehicle where overfilling the oil is a good thing? Common sense is the rule. The most time you will spend is taking off the panels under the car to get to the oil filter. But after that it is a easy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Tighten the filter with a strap wrench or oil filter wrench to avoid to avoid puncturing it.
Wow Kip I'm surprised to see you say this. I've always read that tightening filters by hand is the hard rule. Do you really use a wrench to tighten your oil filter?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Paul, my next line was "Don't over tighten it".

In an effort to be concise, I may have been unclear. Thanks. To elaborate:

"Never use an adjustable plier type tool (with gripping teeth) to tighten the oil filter as some of the non Honda filters have an aluminum case that is easily punctured. Tiny holes thus produced can spray oil on your engine and aero panels. Should this go undetected for some time you will loose oil pressure and possible damage the engine."

Of course men like ourselves can easily rotate the filter by hand 3/4 turn after initial contact of the seal. (as per shop manual) Gentler folk may prefer to use Honda special tool 07HAA-PJ70100 or another fine quality tool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil plug washer

My friend was the dealer who sold me my new Insight a month ago. He said always replace that oil plug washer, as it will not bear several torque applications.

2006 Insight (ah, the last of the breed)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts