Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Insight Owners,

I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me!

I was wondering, from the time you first purchased your Insight how many times have you had to take it into a dealership/mechanic for repairs or regularily scheduled maintenance?

In other words, is your Insight more or less reliable automotively as your other non hybrid cars? Also, is the process of getting a Insight fixed more or less hectic than your other non hybrid cars?

Lastly, as a general question, what magazines do you Insight owners read or subscribe to?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated and can be poster here!

P.S. A big thank you to those of you who complete my surveys!

Thanks,

AdvertisingGal

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not sure of the point or purpose of such a "survey" here will accomplish.

As far as maintenance the frequency will be determined by the owner's choice in following the manufacturer's guide here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-index-maint.html

Repair visit reports _will_ be quite variable. With the probability that surveys or posts will be slanted toward a higher frequency than the statistical norm. It is shown that "negative" expereinces (having to take any car in for a "repair") is a more potent motivator to post / reply about than an otherwise "happy" expereince. (But as a student of the advertising "game" you already knew that ;) )

"Hectic" :?: Well, it can be a real _headache_ given the Insights uniqueness and low production numbers. But that would be similar to any other "rare" make or model.

IMO and from my read of all the posts here so far the greatest "headache" is the IMA batteries. And the lack of acceptance that as they age their performance noticably degrades. Nobody wants to be reminded (or have an indication of) a multi thousand dollar repair looming in the future. For the masses ignorance is bliss. ;)

But if you purchased new, or used at the right price _and_ drive the car in the style it was designed to maximize (high MPG) then you _will_ save more in fuel than the replacement IMA batteries cost within the new warranty defined lifetime (150,000 miles) However, there have been and will be premature failures. And once more Insight's are out of the warranty range I expect a lot more noise in here about it. ;)

I'm a gearhead so I do all my maintenance work myself. But I've had no warrany work needed for my Insight at all.

Me subscribe to automotive magazines :?: :lol: When would I find the extra time to read them after reading all that's posted in here :?: :p

HTH! :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Trips to the dealership - many. I've brought my Insight there to buy small nuts and bolts to replace those the previous owners negated. As for any maintenance issues - not one. IF one were to arise I would do everything in my power to remedy it myself as I have little faith in most any car mechanics ability and desires to perform proper repairs.

Subscriptions - none. I will occasionally peruse some online but would not consider buying any as most are simply marketing and advertisements versus useful information. Most every comparison is not impartial but rather marketing generated, especially the case with Car and Driver.. the others are not without bias though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven’t had my Insight that long but I expect to do all the maintenance myself. From the data I have seen if the CVT transmission survives the warranty period it should be good for the life of the car (this is the main component that I would not attempt to rebuild on my own). I have an advantage in that there are knowledgeable people at my work who can explain any systems I don’t understand, also I can borrow / use any diagnostic equipment I might need.

Magazines, Live Steam (its about steam engines and trains) and Model Railroader.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm in the self-maintenance crew also. I suspect you're going to find that a lot of these cars are owned by car enthusiast gearheads who do their own work.

I know that several of the people here have had pretty exotic cars in the past, and consider the Insight to be a specialty/exotic, not an economy car... After all, what are the other all-aluminum cars out there? The NSX, Audi A8, maybe a Ferrari or two?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
AdvertisingGal said:
Hi Insight Owners,
I am hoping you can answer a few questions for me!
I was wondering, from the time you first purchased your Insight how many times have you had to take it into a dealership/mechanic for repairs or regularily scheduled maintenance?
Once for an oil change. 4 hours and $50 later I got my car back with oil spilled all over the engine bay and dirty footprints in the interior. That was the last time. I now do all my oil changes myself for half the cost and 2% of the frustration.

Once for a minor repair (stripped oil drain plug). Took a few hours and the mechanic installed a HeliCoil which saved me the price of a new oil pan. I was basically happy with that.

The only other trip to the dealer lasted nearly 6 months and was a nightmare. Long story short, the LAF sensor failed which resulted in multiple other failures due to a defective replacement sensor. Took months for me to convince them that their replacement was bad and demonstrated to me that Honda has no business working on cars due to their STUNNING LACK OF UNDERSTANDING regarding even the most basic functions of fuel injection (let alone hybrids..).

Since then I have done all regular maintenance and a few (very minor) repairs without incident.

In other words, is your Insight more or less reliable automotively as your other non hybrid cars? Also, is the process of getting a Insight fixed more or less hectic than your other non hybrid cars?
That's a hard judge for me because my non-hybrid cars are all highly modified. Overall when you look at things in context of the car, the reliability is the same...good. For me, fixing the Insight is no more hectic then any other vehicle. Apparently for Honda mechanics, the exact opposite is true to the extreme.

Lastly, as a general question, what magazines do you Insight owners read or subscribe to?
Playboy, Penthouse, Under 16, Fiesty Coeds, etc...JOKING! :D

I subscribe to Maximum PC and RX-Tuner. In general I find automotive magazines to suck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dealership.... never :shock:

Had the car three years and never had a problem so no maintenance performed other than an oil change's and filters.
I am a fastidious owner and very aware of the vehicle and hate for some stranger to lay a hand on it and also believe if it ain't broke don't fix it.
My car is a 2000 year and the first owner also didn't have any problems but probably had it serviced at the dealer from new to stay within warranty.She was a business lady which I couldn't imagine would entertain servicing her own car.

Magazines? not relevant

DGate

·
Registered
68 Posts
Survey

I have taken 1 of my 2 Insights in for regular service once, and a second time for a kinked rear window washer hose under the headliner. No problems, I think the Honda Dealer here in Marin County has enough skill and knowledge to know what they are doing (but how can one really know?)
No other problems with these 2 cars.

Magazines: BMW Motorcycles of America (member), BMW Car Club of America (member), Military Officers Association of America (member). Congressional Medal of Honors of America? (NO)

·
Registered
224 Posts
My warranty repairs/replacements include 2 door window tracks and one instrumentation display panel (speedometer and etc.)

All were completed effectively with no hassles from the local Honda dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts