Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering installing an engine block heater in my Insight. I would probably purchase the heater and attachment listed on the following web page:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/insight.html

Questions:

1. Can anybody comment on how much time it takes to do this? I'm assuming that it requires draining the coolant, correct?

2. Also, I'm assuming that it actually bolts into the block, right? That is how my previous car's block heaters installed.

3. Also looking for comments regarding where people routed the cord? In my previous cars, the cord just dangled out the front. But I'm thinking there might be a more aerodynamic way of doing this -- your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1) I don't know how long it would take since I paid a Honda dealer to install mine many years ago. Yes it requires draining the coolant.
2) Yes it installs into the engine block (that's the best type of heater)
3) My cord comes out through the plastic fins in the grill area below the front bumper, I tuck it behind the bottom part of the front license plate mount when not in use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed mine in about 30 minutes after I found where it actually went :lol:

The majority of that time was running the wiring harness and making it look neat and filling the coolant system back up. It took all of 30 seconds to get the actual block heater in (you'll need a long handle socket wrench or breaker bar to get it loose... unless your Hercules ;) )

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm considering installing an engine block heater in my Insight. I would probably purchase the heater and attachment listed on the following web page:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/insight.html

Questions:

1. Can anybody comment on how much time it takes to do this? I'm assuming that it requires draining the coolant, correct?

2. Also, I'm assuming that it actually bolts into the block, right? That is how my previous car's block heaters installed.

3. Also looking for comments regarding where people routed the cord? In my previous cars, the cord just dangled out the front. But I'm thinking there might be a more aerodynamic way of doing this -- your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan
As one fellow put it, it'll take about a minute to screw it into the engine block - just don't over tighten it; i.e, don't strip the threads!

You might note, you can as well purchase a dip stick heater which will do the same job but the in all fairness, the engine block heater is the best way to go - in my opinion.

Get a large bucket to collect the engine coolant, and a funnel to put it back in when you're done, and once installed and the coolent is replaced, start the car and check for leaks! Let it run for about ten or fifteen minutes and stay there to check and make sure there are none.

As for routing the cord, odds are you'll probably have it tucked or tied into one of the multitude of appendages to be found under the hood - and away from every thing that moves. Be ready to use plenty of small nylon line or a lot of heavy duty twist'ems for this.

You might also consider the purchase of what is known (at least around these parts) as a "Rose" timer. Odds are you probably already know what I mean; they have twenty four hourly settings to have the unit come on, stay on for x number of hours and then turn off the power to the block heater. In the dead of Winter (20 below is not common here but it happens) I found it convenient to set mine to come on about two hours before I intended to use the car and pullling out of the garage I already had hot air blowing into the cabin - on those bitter cold mornings that felt real good!

Oh, one more thing ... when you're leaving early in the AM or so, make sure you unplug the unit before backing out of the garage - it's most embarrassing to be going down the highway with a twenty five foot or so length of cable trailing along behind you. :)

Hope this helped - and best of luck with the install!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. I ordered the parts today from Majestic. Doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did mine in about the suggested 30 minutes. Make sure you understand how to get the radiator topped up; if you just fill it and cap it you will have an air bubble in the radiator that will cause no end of trouble. You have to bleed the system. Good instructions in the manual; I can't remember if they were also in the heater install instructions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm having leak problems with the block heater...tightened to spec but still a leak.

Is there a good hi temp sealant to put on the threads?

thanks for any help on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts