Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight with 167,000 miles. The IMA light is on and the dealer wants to replace the Battery, BCM, and MCM for $7,000. I only expect to keep my Insight for another 50,000 to 75,000 miles, and I would like to keep the cost under $4,000.

It appears that the BCM/MCM modules are only required for older insights (2000 & 2001).

My questions:

1. What are the implications of changing the Battery only (and keeping the existing BCM/MCM modules).

2. Could I buy updated BCM/MCM modules from the junkyard and use them with a new battery?

3. How difficult is it to change a battery and/or the BCM/MCM modules? Has anyone done it and posted hints/instructions?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The short answer:
If the battery is the only thing that is bad, then that is all you must replace.

The long answer:
It is advised that the BCM/MCM be replaced (if it wasn't done previously) because they have been upgraded. The original modules didn't manage the battery SOC as well. The newer modules will hopefully allow the battery to have a longer lifespan.

As for the junkyard, I suppose you could go that route for the modules. Just be sure that you are getting the correct ones. Honda has a TSB that lists what the part numbers must be for each model year, in order to know whether you are looking at upgraded modules. The TSB is 04-028.

Hope this helps.
Bryan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brice I changed the battery in my car in less than an hour, this was without a manual or any help. I could easily do it in less a second time.

One nice thing about these cars are that they are well thought out and pretty straight forward to work on. If you should need any tips I would happy to help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I have also changed the battery pack in my insight ... I recommend the shop manual before doing anything like this... and .....

HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL YOU... BE SAFE.....

It is about and hour ... faster once you know better what you are doing....

Also be extra careful the first time and don't rush yourself... because if done wrong you can easily do much more damage to the car and components....

If you live near CT contact Mike and or show up to one of the saturday Hybrid and Renewable energy workshops he does them almost every weekend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
bryankwalton said:
The short answer:
If the battery is the only thing that is bad, then that is all you must replace.

The long answer:
It is advised that the BCM/MCM be replaced (if it wasn't done previously) because they have been upgraded. The original modules didn't manage the battery SOC as well. The newer modules will hopefully allow the battery to have a longer lifespan...

Hope this helps.
Bryan
If the original poster is only going to keep the car for another 50-75k miles, I'd definitely recommend not changing the modules. I've got a replacement battery pack and new modules in my 2000, and I've got to say that the new modules, while perhaps managing battery life better, make the car more of a pain in the butt to drive, and, in my experience, reduce mileage by forcing battery charge much, much more than the old modules. Very quick "tip-in" to the battery boost, and quick and persistent discharge, according to the SOC indicator, with a resulting long period (many miles at highway speed) until the SOC shows full.

Just my experience - Pat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! I have decided to buy a new battery and install it myself. I will keep my original BCM/MCM.

Now I have another question. If I tell the dealer that I need a battery for a 2000, they insist on selling me the battery and BCM/MCM. If I tell them I have a newer model (i.e. 2003) then they will sell me just the battery. Is there a difference between the replacement battery for a 2000 and the replacement battery for newer models

So far, the best price I have gotten for a battery alone is $3,200. Does anyone know of a discount online dealer that sells new batteries? I tried Majestic, but they don't ship batteries. Alternatively, does anyone know which dealer in the Washington DC area has the best prices?

I've been driving for about 3 weeks without the IMA. Apparently it is still able to keep the 12V charged. But, I know that it could die on me at any time.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The battery packs on all Insights are interchangeable.
Some things to consider:
The car will usually keep the 12V system charged even with an IMA code(may depend on the detected problem).
Two weeks ago, a guy with a 2000 with 168K Insight showed up (Hi Scott), and he had the same problem. The dealer wanted to change the two modules and the IMA battery pack.
I pulled the fuse under the dash, to reset the system, and he has been running for two weeks with no IMA light and the system behaves normally.
I don't expect this to be a permanent fix, but if you could get several K between resets, you may be able to make your 50K without changing anything. Some recent test have also shown that a seemingly bad pack may just have a charge imbalance between the subpacks. We are currently doing some test to see if a simple equalization charge can re balance it.
A switch in series with the reset fuse would allow you to reset the system without the need to crawl under the dash.
Good luck ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts