Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a used, silver 2005 with 20K this year. It didn't come with an owners or maintenance manual (I need to get those), but I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with:

1) Any special specifications for oil change? Will I have any problems getting a oil filter from Napa auto parts? I received a oil change tip below from a different post (pasted below--sorry, hope this doesn't count as reposting). Anyone have any other tips?

2) I had the car checked out at a Honda dealer and the mechanic told me that I'd need new tires soon. He told me the tires for this car are special; he called them "-----" (...I don't remember!). I've been trying to do searches on this discussion to find out what kind of tires they are. Are they called "low resistance" tires?

3) I just realized today that I don't have a spare tire! Am I supposed to have a spare tire in that "cubby hole" in the back hatchback or are Insight tires "run-flat"?

Thanks!

"And while I'm on the subject be _extra_ careful on just "who" you let do the oil changes. The Insight's oil pan in magnesium and intolerant of overtightening the plug. The crush washer should be replaced on each and every oil change. BIG $$$ if the threads get stripped - ultimately it will require the pans replacement (with probable replacement delaying counter measure options, depends on many specifics)

If you want a little extra piece of mind Fumitomo makes a drain plug valve that several Insighters have switched to. I finally did too (and won't go back). Google for it, about $30 with the extension adapter (not always needed)."

·
Registered
466 Posts
most on this board will recommend 0w20 mobil-1. amzoil just came out with their own 0w20, and i am switching to that in june. as for filters, i use purolator premium (not pure one), but i will be switching over to amzoils filter also.

2.6 quarts MAX with a filter change. dont put in 3!

get a fumoto drain valve and no more worries about stripped threads.

the factory tires are bridgestone re-92 in 165/65/14 size. so far they have the lowest rolling resistance around. but most folks hate the way they grip

the spare is UNDER the hidden trunk area. remove the black cloth "hidey-hole" and there it will be. hopefully...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Hi, yes thanks, I looked up the spare tire in the owners manual online and hopefully it is under the cubby hole...will check tomorrow AM. Thanks for the tips on the oil change!

·
Registered
702 Posts
1. you got all the info i know of about oil changes

2. the tires are known as "low rolling resistance"...using this keyword might help you find more threads about them, and as HafNHaf said, they are the lowest resistance tires out there, to cut down on drag

3. yea, the spare tire should be underneath the hatch compartment...you need to fold up the flaps on either side of the compartment, they should velcro to the compartment, then, with a little bending, you can pull the little box out...underneath that should be a plastic cover, and under that should be a doughnut spare tire....HTH :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hello, I bought a used, silver 2005 with 20K this year. It didn't come with an owners or maintenance manual (I need to get those), but I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me out with:
Congrats and welcome. Be sure to get a manual, maybe from eBay or one of the many discount Honda parts sellers, as there is a lot of information you'll find helpful in there.

1) Any special specifications for oil change? Will I have any problems getting a oil filter from Napa auto parts? I received a oil change tip below from a different post (pasted below--sorry, hope this doesn't count as reposting). Anyone have any other tips?
Nothing special. Honda recommends 0-20W synthetic (Mobil 1, Amsoil, Catrol Syntec, etc.). My advice, do not take it to a Jiffy Lube or such as their competency is often questionable. AS for the "crush washer, I have yet to change one out and have never had a problem, nor have I heard of one from the many on my motorcycle or car forums. This seems to be more of a myth than truth. Be sure to torque it properly and not over-tighten it though.

2) I had the car checked out at a Honda dealer and the mechanic told me that I'd need new tires soon. He told me the tires for this car are special; he called them "-----" (...I don't remember!). I've been trying to do searches on this discussion to find out what kind of tires they are. Are they called "low resistance" tires?
Careful what you believe from dealers, when I got my car with 32K miles I was specifically warned that my brakes would be shot in the next 500 miles.... my car now has 50K miles and the brakes are just fine. Search the many tire threads for type/brands and for air pressures.

3) I just realized today that I don't have a spare tire! Am I supposed to have a spare tire in that "cubby hole" in the back hatchback or are Insight tires "run-flat"?
Be sure to check the pressure in yours. In spite of the fact that my car had just had a 30K service from a Honda dealership they, of course, failed to even check the air pressure in the tire... it was only @ 15 lbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts