Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am the original owner of a 2003 Civic Hybrid, standard transmission with 118K miles on it living in Washington State.

Yesterday afternoon while driving uphill, with the AC on (unusual), and with outside temperatures 90 degrees+, my IMA light came on for the first time. I took the car to a Honda dealership that was unfortunately not particularly helpful. They eventually told me it was a P1449 code with the cause of battery overheating. They did not give me the sub-code (they didn't even give me the main one until I pressed) but I am assuming from reading here and elsewhere that this should correspond to a P1449-72 code (entire battery) or P1449-73 code (individual cell). I am assuming that, if this is the case, this will ultimately result in the replacement of the battery at many thousands of dollars. What I am wondering is:

1. Is it possible to continue to drive the car after receiving this code without doing further damage to the car? Specifically, will it cause further damage to the IMA battery or other aspects of the car that will increase the repair costs? Obviously I would like to continue to drive the car as long as possible without a repair because I cannot afford it. Also, it is not clear to me why I would not just drive it to failure since it appears that the battery needs to be replaced either way.

2. Is it safe to continue to drive the car with this code? That is, is there some actual risk of the battery overheating that causes the car to become unsafe?

3. Is it possible that the car will become inoperable when the battery fails? I have read that the car can operate without the IMA but that there is a risk of the 12v battery failing to charge at which point the car is shortly thereafter stop working. However I am unclear if this is something that would happen with the P1449-72 subcode or just the other P1449 subcodes.

4. I have read that having a good/newish 12v battery can be helpful but I am unclear if this is just in the case of a failing battery (P1449-78 or 74) or is generally helpful. My current 12v battery is 4 years old and had a good charge the last it was checked. Would getting a new 12v battery help or am I just throwing money away?

The IMA light went off today while I was driving. I am assuming that is simply because the car cooled down and not due to any solution to the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this was an insight the battery would still be under warranty. Anyone know what the warranty on the HCH is?
Sadly, it's 8 years and 80,000 miles although I've seen elsewhere that this was adjusted up a few thousand miles due to an odometer problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts