Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while my battery drains like really fast. It'll be maybe half way charged... and like 10 minutes or so later the digital gauge all of a sudden jumps from half way, to basically one or two notches! I'm not sure if something is wrong with the car's system or... I was thinking that maybe this happens when the ECON a/c on for 10 minutes or more. Does anyone know if the ECON a/c will drain the battery really fast?

Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sounds like you've exprienced what whe call a recall, or recalibration. You can do a search to find out the details but it's basically the battery not actually knowing it's charge and then when it finds it's almost dead, it recalibrates. It's perfectly normal and happens most in the summer months or when you use the battery a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So nothing is wrong with the car? The battery usually doesn't drain that fast though. Can you clue me in on things that drain the battery fast?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Battery recalibration

I agree in that what you are experiencing is a battery recalibration. The battery charge gauge is actually a computer estimate of the battery charge level. You should only experience this occasionally, depending upon your driving habits.

Frequent battery recals are a sign of a malfunctioning battery.

Clint

2000 Silver Insight
77,000 miles
56.4 LMPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts