Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people Really quick question.
I've no experience with cars at all but I need to replace my battery. Went flat during lockdown through no driving.

I've seen a few generic battery replacement videos... Ie. Remove a few nuts and take off negative first, then positive. Very straightforward they showed but would a complete newbie like myself be able to do it on the insight.

Does anyone know of videos or guides for battery replacement for the insight (2011)?

Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
There is nothing unusual about the 12 volt battery under the hood (bonnet?) of an Insight. That said, make sure you are aware of the safety cautions in the videos.
Here in the US, I can get a AAA (auto club) driver to replace a battery and the battery itself is not any more expensive. You might look into a mobile battery exchange service.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,098 Posts
Maybe all you need is a recharge. Why buy a battery if the old one will charge up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 12 volt under the hood is a piece of cake. Make sure the physical size of the battery matches. Connect the red cable to the + terminal and the black one to the - terminal.

Some auto parts stores will not only sell you the right size battery, but replace it for you in the parking lot for free.

Now if you’re talking about the big IMA battery out back... that’s not so easy. Although also not so hard.

- Park

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've tried jump starting it. It does start but once the engine goes off, it won't start up again. Battery flat again. Even after running the engine for half an hour.
Wondering if I should have gone for a drive instead of just leaving the engine on... Would that have made a difference?

It was bought last year and has a 3 year guarantee so I'm getting it replaced hopefully. At least they said they'd replace it for me.

... So I should be fine doing it myself, right?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,098 Posts
Have them "load test" the battery tp get a true status.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi people Really quick question.
I've no experience with cars at all but I need to replace my battery. Went flat during lockdown through no driving.

I've seen a few generic battery replacement videos... Ie. Remove a few nuts and take off negative first, then positive. Very straightforward they showed but would a complete newbie like myself be able to do it on the insight.

Does anyone know of videos or guides for battery replacement for the insight (2011)?

Thank you all very much.
Just take your time. Instructions on youtube. Did both mine out and in. Dangerous though. Lethal DC voltages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts