Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thanks for any information in advance.

I am looking into buying a second hand insight. I am seeing a lot of problems with battery pack failure and CAT failure and both are very expensive to replace.

I live in Canada and the two insights available on eBay both have their batteries replaced already. It is really common thing to replace your batteries every two years? I cannot justify the $2000 in gas savings if i have to spend $3000+ on the battery every two years.

What do you guys think? Please shed some light.

John

·
Registered
466 Posts
mine lasted 68,000 miles/5 years. seems to be about average. YMMV!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know about the longevity question...it's one of the reasons I bought a new one...just one less thing to think about. I did look into the battery pack pricing when I was looking at used insights and I came up with around $1500...

Cap'n. . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh i seee

but the reason why i am asking is that even if it is covered under the warrantee, it still has to be in the shop for perhaps a month. then what will you do then? :)

Also, after the 80,000 miles are up or what ever it is, we'd probably be responsible for the replacement of the battery ourselves right? then 2-3 years of driving for each battery, it's going to get costly wouldn't it?

John

·
Registered
466 Posts
i figure 5-6 years, and replacement takes 2 hours or less, if you have had the back deck open before and have gotten good at it. mine has been open for subwoofers, soundproofing, extra fans, etc. no big deal at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Souljourner, you should be a little searching and reading before posting. Your concerns have been covered several times already.

The official honda line is this..
* The IMA battery (like the engine, transmission, etc) should last the "life of the vehicle."
* If the battery fails "early", it is not because the battery is "worn out", it is because the battery is/was defective.

Honda has done alot of research and testing, their reputation is on the line. You shouldn't dismiss them offhand with reasoning like "The 1st battery lasted 3 years, so the replacement will only last 3 years."

If you like conspiracy theories, you will like this...
In 2000 and 2001 insight batteries were sourced from panasonic EV. Back then it was minority owned by Toyota. Now it is majority owned by Toyota. In around 2002 honda started using batteries from Sharp. I'm pretty sure all replacement packs are from Sharp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

ONE MORE QUESTION:

what time in 2002 did the insight switch to the newer/revised battery and software?

Thanks again.

John

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAIK its not specified anywhere.

S.B. 04-028 is one that deals with this issue. The definitive check is to open the IMA case's lid and check the PN's on the MCM & BCM. If purchased used without service records this would be the only sure fire way of knowing. Although if you local Honda dealer owes you a favor they can look up the vehicles history be VIN and tell if such were replaced under warranty (but not if it was paid by the customer or replaced used, unless the repairs _happen_ to have been done at that particular dealership and their system allows for such)

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 7&start=45
(Post referencing S.B. 04-028)

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts