Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at this 2000 insight it's a manual with 150k. The battery is showing signs of going out and he said that he took it to the dealership but he doesnt believe it is still covered under warranty and they gave him a quote of $2500 to change it. I know I could change the battery myself....I'd hope that my boyfriends father who works on Toyota's would be able to work on a hybrid Honda as well.
The tires were changed 5000 miles ago and the brakes haven't been changed recently since they were fine at the last tire change. I was told 3 owners and two of them (including himself) were driven mostly commuting highway miles.

He is asking $4800 for the car. He is fine with me taking it to a Honda dealership to look it over....it is also currently state inspected, which is a good sign of wear and tear I guess.

I'm just wondering what I should be looking out for with this or what kind of price point it should be at. I mean if it needs a new battery, brakes, and tires......that's a significant amount of work. I've also never owned a hybrid so the IMA battery is a bit of a wild card for me.

any advice is very helpful! I will be meeting to see the car this Tuesday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not so great a deal

$4800 with the new battery maybe. I paid less the $4000 for a 2001 CVT. It had more miles, but the battery was still in decent shape (since gone south).

I'd try to get the price lower.

It will help others to render an opinion if we knew what area you lived in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Philadelphia, PA. I was personally thinking that the price should be more around $4k but I just wasn't sure. It's been hard for me to judge since I've seen these insights go for anything from 1k to 14k depending on the condition/year/miles.

The battery is supposed to be under warranty for 10 yrs or 150k miles. This car is just a hair over the mileage warranty and I was hoping I could get Honda to still cover it, think it's possible?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The warranty is whichever comes first.....unless it is a 2000 that sat on a dealers lot for three years it is over the ten year part of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The battery is showing signs of going out and he said that he took it to the dealership but he doesnt believe it is still covered under warranty and they gave him a quote of $2500 to change it.
That's less than the $3500 I was quoted in California, so I'd figure that 1000 dollar savings in the price.

Also ask the seller if he did anything "silly" like pour Slick50 or other additive in the oil pan. Or installed a K&N filter. If yes then leave the car because it's probably damaged (or filled with dirt).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may actually go check this one out, it's only 25 minutes from me. Just have to try to find a mutually convenient time (I hate looking at a car in the dark, especially one I'm not at all familiar with). But $4800 seems awful high to me if the battery is actually dying. Hopefully I'll be able to tell if it is or not, but I'll assume it is.

By the way, Willie. I saw in your sig line that you have an '07 Honda Fit. My current daily car is an '08 Fit base, 5spd. How would you compare the Fit to the Insight, besides the obvious of less space inside the Insight? Is the driving experience similar?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,765 Posts
Klayfish;
Come on be fair. Two entirely different vehicles.
I have the "sport" with paddle shifters.
I love the FIT for the space, use it as a truck.(So I don't put mileage on my NASCAR truck) The mileage is good for it's size and weight.
The driving experience is similar. Don't like the steering feel, due to the wide tire.
It loves to rev, as is typical of Hondas. Needs a six speed auto.
Mileage is around a constant 32-38 mpg. (mostly highway with the flow of traffic.)
Wish it had the tele. steering column, which the 2008 does I believe.
Only problem in 80K miles was the ignition coils, which was probably due to the design. No warranty on those.
The Insight is still my favorite.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I want to try the Fit Hybrid sometime. I think they call it the insight. ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Willie,
Thanks. I totally agree they're two very different cars. But if I bought an Insight, that's what I'd be switching from (and my '96 Volvo wagon, but that's a whole 'nother story). So I was just curious what it's like to go from one to the other. With my commute, I'm able to get 38-41mpg from the Fit. I agree it desperately needs a 6th gear. On the highway, I'm turning 3500-3800rpm. Drives me nuts. My Fit now has 59k miles and has been 100% trouble free. Still tight as a drum, no squeaks or rattles. The Fit is a terrific car, no doubt about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts