Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these about 5 months and 4400 miles ago. They came in a pair with ceramic pads, for about $100. I had OEM rotors before and some aged Duralast Gold pads. The pads had plenty of wear left but they looked a bit on the crusty side. I'd drive my housemate's Honda Fit, which had new rotors and pads installed recently, and the brakes felt way better. So I thought new rotors or at least pads might improve my braking. I don't have much experience with rotors and pads...

I decided on the R1 Concepts deal. I thought drilled and slotted might lower the weight, but my rough weighing says they're the same as OEM. The R1 rotors have some zinc coating that's supposed to reduce corrosion. I liked that idea as well, simply for the look of clean rotors every time I remove my wheels. I liked the idea of ceramic pads, too, because I read that they didn't make as much dust as metallic pads...

So, after 4400 miles and some wet weather driving, thought I would report. I took the wheels off to rotate the tires during an oil change, took a picture. They weren't very dusty, very clean looking (the image is without any cleaning), no corrosion. Their performance has been very good, quite better than my previous setup. It took some time for them to break-in, but after that, compared to my old setup they have stronger stopping power and no fade that I can tell under moderate to heavy braking. My brakes still aren't as strong as the Fit, but it feels much better. Based on what I've experienced I suggest that if you have old rotors and pads an update such as this might be worth while. And I have no complaints about the R1 setup.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I remember when I used to use front brakes on my car. I took mine off.
To reduce rotational mass can't tell any difference on mileage. But it's hard to stop very fast .

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
NathanC. I had no idea you removed your front brakes. Are you aware that most cars have brake uses biased to the front 80-20? This sounds extremely dangerous for anyone in your car as well as those in front of you while driving.

·
Linsight Designer
1,802 Posts
I somehow found myself with a pair of these rotors but have never used them... maybe I'll have to throw them on a G1 to see how well they work.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In the pilot world there is a saying that takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory. For cars, I would say going is optional but stopping is mandatory. If you are serious that you removed your front brake rotors that is criminal negligence. Scratch that, willful disregard for human life. I don't care how slow you go.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I somehow found myself with a pair of these rotors but have never used them... maybe I'll have to throw them on a G1 to see how well they work.
I would think that my much improved stopping power is mostly due to the new ceramic pads. My OEM rotors were fine; my pads were old, kind of crusty, a bit crumbly around the edges. I think ideally people replace pads and rotors together, but if one's rotors are smooth and thick enough, and you don't need/want the zinc-coated corrosion protection, the look of drilled and slotted, etc., then new pads alone would probably be enough.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've used R1 drilled rotors on a few other cars with open spoke wheels but don't get the point on a G1. You can't even see the rotors behind the wheels. The $10 Centric or Raybestos rotors on Rock Auto are just fine as well as the $6 Remsa pads.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ $10 or $100 over what?, a 10 year, 15 year period makes no difference to me. They look nicer when I see them, probably won't spread a lot of rusty dust around, etc. I mentioned a couple other points in my original post.

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Rotors really do not make any difference in braking, it's all pad material. A lot of the stopping is caused by the pad forming molecular bonds to the pad material deposited on the rotor, think "velcro". Cheap rotors + High quality pads is always a good bet. These look rad though, and I might get some since I run VX wheels and you can see my rotors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don’t forget the rear shoes make a difference in braking and must be adjusted correctly 70% of braking is done by the fronts 30% rear it really makes a difference if the rears are out of adjustment you should feel 3clicks on the parking brake and a good high hard pedal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
7,135 Posts
To reduce rotational mass can't tell any difference on mileage. But it's hard to stop very fast .
/taps sarcasm meter

I.. uhh...

/taps sarcasm meter again

You might wanna do something about that... lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
I cannot believe that a responsible, rational adult would do this. If you ever injure someone with that G1 by the time the insurance company lawyers are done with you you'll be grateful if you do not get jail time. Imagine how you'd feel if your three year old child were run over by someone who disconnected their front brakes.

I really cannot believe that you have done this. It is really bad, it is really wrong.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Slotted and drilled rotors are just for looks (in this type application and generally do not make any noticeble difference on the street) and those gold pads you can exchange for a new set. Lifetime warranty. Rotors that are drilled have a tendency to crack. I have slotted rotors on my track car. Guys just run the brembo blanks they sell at AutoZone. With the warranty they replace them when they go back and those track pads eat the rotors alive. You need to try carbon pads, I doubt they make them for Insight, they really have a nice bite and grip more when they get hot. And as always, you want to make sure to flush the lines with fresh fluids. This makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I put the front brake rotors back on. Still got Time to watch the football game. It's unbelievable how confident it makes me feel to have more stopping power for just in case. I'm still the slowest person on the highway. I feel great but I still look the same . If the women only knew .

"" I feel good "" James Brown

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Anyway I did not notice any gain in mileage from the reduced weight Or inertial mass Reduction from the -15 pounds.

I also have four yellow donut rims on and I can detect no gain from that.

My advice keep the car factory. Use RE 92 tires. Also noticed one more thing. Even with 110 psi tires upfront my tires are wearing out faster on the sides like EQ1 tires have done. The inside looks brand new. One more thing my spare tire was flat .

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyway I did not notice any gain in mileage from the reduced weight Or inertial mass Reduction from the -15 pounds.

I also have four yellow donut rims on and I can detect no gain from that.

My advice keep the car factory. Use RE 92 tires. Also noticed one more thing. Even with 110 psi tires upfront my tires are wearing out faster on the sides like EQ1 tires have done. The inside looks brand new. One more thing my spare tire was flat .
Maybe go down to 104-107 psi to reduce that outside wear on the tires

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am getting close to three years in. I have some Wishing points.1
1. I wish these cars had a lithium battery from day one or even a better battery chemistry.
2. I wish the brakes and fly wheel we are less weight I wish the car was even more efficient that it is .
3. I wish the car looked the same but was half as wide and was a one seater .
4 I wish the car came with a trailer hitch and a pop on and pop off boat tail could be mounted on it .
5.wished I knew more about aerodynamics should I cut the springs more get the car closer to the ground
7. Wish it had a six or seven gear
8.wish I had Ecky's car , it would be nice to know what Perkins and Mudder and Mario Natalya Iam Sam dr. Ruth are talking about .
9. Anyway I hope everyone stays coronavirus Clean no deers in your headlights good brakes Good tires strong head gasket no transmission grind good paint job no oil leak days ahead .
11. I love the smell of aluminum in the morning
12.I hope everybody experiences some good brakes in the future this looks like a good place to stop 🤓

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am getting close to three years in. I have some Wishing points.1
1. I wish these cars had a lithium battery from day one or even a better battery chemistry.
2. I wish the brakes and fly wheel we are less weight I wish the car was even more efficient that it is .
3. I wish the car looked the same but was half as wide and was a one seater .
4 I wish the car came with a trailer hitch and a pop on and pop off boat tail could be mounted on it .
5.wished I knew more about aerodynamics should I cut the springs more get the car closer to the ground
7. Wish it had a six or seven gear
8.wish I had Ecky's car , it would be nice to know what Perkins and Mudder and Mario Natalya Iam Sam dr. Ruth are talking about .
9. Anyway I hope everyone stays coronavirus Clean no deers in your headlights good brakes Good tires strong head gasket no transmission grind good paint job no oil leak days ahead .
11. I love the smell of aluminum in the morning
12.I hope everybody experiences some good brakes in the future this looks like a good place to stop 🤓
Nathan, I love following your posts, even if I wouldn't always want you behind me on the road. :D

1) I'm using a lithium 12v battery, and you know there are lithium conversions you can do if you ever want a working lithium IMA again. Infinite assist would do wonders for fuel economy.

2) If you're willing to chase fuel economy numbers regardless of cost, you could have a set of titanium or even forged aluminum rotors made. Civics have some pretty wild rear brake parts made to reduce rotating mass.

3) Like this?

4) Ever considered an inflatable boat tail you can deploy at speed?

5) I think there is such a thing as too close, but you could probably take 1-2 inches off stock ride height safely. Beware - it WILL change the way the wheels sit on the road, maybe throw off camber, so you'll need to make adjustments for that. To lower 1 inch takes less spring removal than you'd think - I'd go 1/4 of a coil at a time or less or you risk overshooting.

7) More gears also means more rotating mass in the transmission, and more weight, unfortunately. I think a 6 speed is a good balance though. I could certainly use a 7th gear in my car.

8) Thank you ^_^ but you're getting fuel economy I couldn't hope for.

9+) I share the sentiment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My local Euro/Asian parts shop had Centric slotted and drilled so I put those on. Just like the R1's above.

I was tired of the dreaded front rotor pulsing at times from aggressive city driving.

The OEM rotors exceeded the life of any rotor I had before and of any customer's cars.

20 years later and over 300K miles the OEM rear drums and shoes have half their life remaining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts