Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you live near the Milwaukee, WI area, you have an opportunity to race your Insight in an Autocross event on Sept 18, 2005. I talked with folks from the Porsche Club of America - Milwaukee Region, and they are open to having a group of hybrids come and race at their 4th Autocross event at the Miller Park Stadium parking lot.

Our times will not be compared to the Porsche's that are racing, but we can see how we do relative to each other. Details about joining the PCA September 18th event can be found at:

http://www.porschepark.org/calendar/event0505d.html

Autocross is an excellent way to explore the handling capabilities of your Hybrid in a controlled environment. Just you against the clock, while navigating a challenging course defined by rubber cone markers. Time penalties are charged for hitting the cones. In the Posche Club events, there are three practice runs, followed by six timed runs offering an opportunity to try different lines and speeds. Each run is independently timed, so one bad one is easily negated by your next fast time. Afterward, your times are compared to others in your class (in this case, we will compare with the other Hybrids) to see how good your car and driver performance was. The only special equipment required is a SNELL certified helmet (SNELL 1990 or newer-usually loaner helmets are available).

I have raced with the Porsche group in the past, and it has always been an excellent experience. The events are really friendly and efficiently run. They also start late enough so that you can get to them from some distances without having to jump out of bed at 4:30AM.

If you think you might make it, send me a message and I'll get back in touch.

Hope to see you there...

Blue Insight

(2001 Blue Insight, manual...about 60+MPG usually, 11MPG racing)

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a reminder...I am hoping to see other Insight owners in Milwaukee on Sept. 18th at the Porsche Club Solo II Autocross race #4. It looks like the weather will be good! Send me a PM if you think you can make it...

Thanks
Bluesight
---
bluesight said:
If you live near the Milwaukee, WI area, you have an opportunity to race your Insight in an Autocross event on Sept 18, 2005. I talked with folks from the Porsche Club of America - Milwaukee Region, and they are open to having a group of hybrids come and race at their 4th Autocross event at the Miller Park Stadium parking lot.

Our times will not be compared to the Porsche's that are racing, but we can see how we do relative to each other. Details about joining the PCA September 18th event can be found at:

http://www.porschepark.org/calendar/event0505d.html

Autocross is an excellent way to explore the handling capabilities of your Hybrid in a controlled environment. Just you against the clock, while navigating a challenging course defined by rubber cone markers. Time penalties are charged for hitting the cones. In the Posche Club events, there are three practice runs, followed by six timed runs offering an opportunity to try different lines and speeds. Each run is independently timed, so one bad one is easily negated by your next fast time. Afterward, your times are compared to others in your class (in this case, we will compare with the other Hybrids) to see how good your car and driver performance was. The only special equipment required is a SNELL certified helmet (SNELL 1990 or newer-usually loaner helmets are available).

I have raced with the Porsche group in the past, and it has always been an excellent experience. The events are really friendly and efficiently run. They also start late enough so that you can get to them from some distances without having to jump out of bed at 4:30AM.

Hope to see you there...

Blue Insight

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think the Insight would be good in Autocrossing.

But what happens when the IMA battery dumps and you are left with just the 63hp?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,891 Posts
autocross

Keep your rpm in the rower range of 3K+ and you won't use any IMA battery. Ask commute!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: autocross

So far, I haven't been able to run a race without depleting a lot of the IMA battery. Between each race, I end up "idling" the engine at 3K RPM to recharge. It takes from 3 to 5 minutes, and does waste gas. But it works! I go out on the next run with a full charge and that extra 14HP of low end torque.

Hope to see ya!
Bluesight...
---
Willie Williford said:
Keep your rpm in the rower range of 3K+ and you won't use any IMA battery. Ask commute!

·
Registered
31 Posts

Willie Williford said:
He is racing.... Car doesnt make much power under 3K either.

VTEC kicks in around 4K

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

bluesight said:
Between each race, I end up "idling" the engine at 3K RPM to recharge. It takes from 3 to 5 minutes, and does waste gas. But it works! I go out on the next run with a full charge and that extra 14HP of low end torque.
That's what I do as well.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Race your Insight with the Madison Sports Car Club

Last chance of the season...If you live near the Milwaukee, WI area, you have an opportunity to race your Insight in an Autocross event on Oct. 23, 2005 with the Madison Sports Car Club (MSCC). As a member of MSCC, I definitely am open to having a group of hybrids come and race with me at final MSCC Autocross event of the season at the Miller Park Stadium parking lot.

Our times will be compared with other, potentially faster cars in our class (H Stock), but we can see how we do relative to each other as well. Details about joining the MSCC Oct. 23rd event can be found at:

http://www.madisonsportscarclub.com/autocross/schedule/

Autocross is an excellent way to explore the handling capabilities of your Hybrid in a controlled environment. Just you against the clock, while navigating a challenging course defined by rubber cone markers. Time penalties are charged for hitting the cones. In the MSCC events, there are typically six timed runs offering an opportunity to try different lines and speeds. Each run is independently timed, so one bad one is easily negated by your next fast time. Afterward, your times are compared to others in your class (in this case, H Stock) to see how good your car and driver performance was. The only special equipment required is a SNELL certified helmet (SNELL 1990 or newer-usually loaner helmets are available).

Hope to see you there...

Blue Insight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts