Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some greenhouses control temperature by venting heated air. I know that some of these vents are louvers controlled by a cylinder of compressed wax, calibrated so that as the ambient temperature rises the wax expands, pushing the louvers open, then as it cools the wax contracts drawing them shut.

The advantage in simplicity and durability of a physical system that uses phase-change in a solid over an electric motor system appeals to me. Has anyone considered this as a method to have an automated variable block on the radiator?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its the sheet metal work that will be the hard part.

I like working with cardboard better.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 0&start=45

Absolutely not as "efficent" as would be with a variable system. I've looked for something off the shelf, not found.

Keep looking or start cutting out something :!: :p

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Do an internet search for _iris dampers_. These come in many sizes although I have not found a very wide base of manufacturers. Several of the 4 inch _motorized_ size across the lower opening of the air dam, with all else fully blocked _could_ give the variable control that is being sought. Whoever does the prototype work, will become very familar with front clip assembly/disassembly. If I could find some in PVC, might be tempted to try.

Aviation snips anyone :?:

Randall

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Whoa, nice mileage! I have some commercial vents with adjustable aluminum vanes. This would be a good starting point, but there is a lot of work to do something like this properly. I need to get a round tuit!

A pop in frame with a set of mini fog lights at the sides would be awesome. :D

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
I need to get a round tuit!
Wellll,

Get it here :!: :p :p :p

http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/rou ... istory.htm

(Snopes didn't debunk it - but it still smells a bit fishy to me)

But if you reeealy want one give us (the group) an automotive quality controllable aluminum louver system and I'll see to it myself :!: :D

PM me with the postal addy upon completion and presentation :!:
Tutorial pic's required. And don't forget we've got an ex military photo expert in our membership. ;)

Dare ya :!: :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts