Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! The other day, I was cruising on the highway after a spirited drive through some twisties near me, probably going about 80ish mph with the AC on. Suddenly, I saw the coolant temp gauge shoot up by two bars at once. I immediately keyed the car off, and coasted to the side of the road to let it cool down in fear of blowing a head gasket. I've been monitoring my cars temperatures lately, and it seems like it's usually around 195-217 depending on how hot it is, although some days it's sat around 230-235 while cruising on the highway. The only mods I have done to the car are a warm air intake and scotts belly pan. My suspicion about why that temp spike happened is my radiator. It's the original one on the car, and it has nearly 360k miles on it. Most of the fins on the upper part of the radiator that's visible are gone, and i'm assuming this is affecting the cooling capabilities of the radiator. As a safety measure, I've ordered a new radiator and will be installing it soon. There's also a fear in the back of my mind that when I recently got the thermostat replaced (about 4 months ago) that Autozone provided me the wrong part. I ordered it in store, had them search for thermostats for my Insight and they had it shipped to the store. Is it possible that could be the issue? Here's a link to the thermostat that was ordered, it says stock temperature. I'll be replacing the radiator probably some time this weekend, and i'll report back here if anything strange happens or if the car runs cooler with the new radiator, fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
8,198 Posts
Since you have had the cooling system open to replace the thermostat, you may have an air bubble in the head. Soon as the radiator is replaced, burp the cooling system very carefully using the procedure in the service manual. It is critical to get all the air out of the upper parts of the cooling system.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you may have an air bubble in the head
I would hope not, as I had it done by a shop. Is there a different procedure to burp the Insights coolant compared to other cars? I was planning on driving it up on rhino ramps to do the replacement, then filling the rad back up with coolant after it's replaced, then placing a funnel in it and topping it off 100% with coolant while the heat is blasting and the car is idling for 10-20 minutes (depending on how frequent air bubbles are). Would you happen to have a link to the service manual procedure?

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Did you WATCH the shop guy do the burp procedure? Most cars don't require this, and he wouldn't know to do it unless he's an Insight guy.

Sam

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you WATCH the shop guy do the burp procedure? Most cars don't require this, and he wouldn't know to do it unless he's an Insight guy.

Sam
I didn't watch him perform it, but he told me he burped the coolant.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here are some pics of my current/original radiator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,656 Posts
Burp the system per this video:
I would change the radiator. They aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
43 Posts
That looks a lot like the radiator I pulled out of mine the other day, when I fully removed it I was able to flick the remaining fins out with my fingers. 20 years of salt spray can do a number on them! Definitely replace and then burp following the procedure others have already posted.

Reactions: stomish

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Doesn't sound like a thermostat problem if it stays in the 195 to low 200s until the radiator is overwhelmed. Your radiator looks trashed.

Nobody else has mentioned this, but verify that your radiator fan is operating too. If the fan isn't operating you'll overheat, especially when not moving. If it's not running could be the fan, fuse, relay, or wiring. Since this happened when you were going highway+ speeds, it's unlikely the problem.

"Suddenly, I saw the coolant temp gauge shoot up by two bars at once." That's how the coolant temp gauge operates, two bars when cold even when it's freezing, two more at about 140, six bars at 160 or so, then it's there until it's really hot. There is no seven bar indication.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts