Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say $59 is pretty good, I have mailed them about getting one shipped to the uk.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Yes well er, it does help radio reception. I supose the question would be, who needs a radio? ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
b1shmu63 said:
Yes well er, it does help radio reception. I supose the question would be, who needs a radio? ;)
Indeed. CD player with homemade line-in connector for mp3 player or laptop. Haven't listened to the radio in the car in at least a year. I'm considering removing my antenna and making a base or some kind of mount for a telescoping rod antenna, and adding a connector behind the center console to plug it in on the fly, for those extremely rare occasions when I might want to use the radio. My Pioneer head unit doesn't like the OEM antenna much, anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm pretty sure I connected the antenna power to the +12V source. For FM reception, there's no beating a metal rod of the appropriate length.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It seems to me that the stock antenna isn't very powerful. Well, it doesn't seem as powerful as the one that came stock with my '98 Accord. I listen occasionally to a local AM station in the mornings (KGO 810) for traffic, and I find that the reception is full of static. I also have a FM transmitter for my iPod that worked fine in the Accord and also in my S2000 (before I got an Alpine with Fast Link)... but I will get bursts of really loud static in the Insight. Is this normal? ^^;

·
Registered
338 Posts
what?

antenna???
oh, that thing that brings me Sirius Radio?
:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Just a quick bump, wondered if anyone has yet tried one.

With the exchange rate at 2$ to £1 they are very cheap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
'Sorry I can't provide any useful info in response to this request.

'Seeing lots of threads about high performance sound systems and satellite radio. Perhaps I'm just not fully up to speed on the latest and greatest audio technology for cars, but it seems like there's so much background noise in the Insight (particularly with overinflated tires) that all of that stuff would yield dimishing returns.
I mostly listen to NPR and BBC news when in the Insight.

With regard to the aesthetics of the various antennae, I personnally prefer the stock "Sputnik" look to the suggested "Jaws" look for the Insight.

Some of the antennae on one of the links you provided are rather spacey looking. 'Couldn't find one that looked like a World War I German Army helmet bayonet. I suppose if I were into the gritty motorcycle image (which I'm not - and it's probably mostly a USA thing) I'd want one of those on my helmet. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont use my antenna, i dont know how much it would cost to ship it to ya, but i would be willing to part with it for a small fee plus shipping if it was worth it to you to have a stock antenna

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Antennas are, in and of themselves, not "powerful".

As someone once said,"If it will conduct, it will radiate." or in this case receive. BUT...a properly cut antenna of the proper length is better than any add on amplifier.

Add on amplifiers are only used when the proper length antenna isnt used. Amplification amplifies EVERYTHING so does NOTHING for signal to noise ratio since it amplifies the noise as well as the signal you are looking for.

For FM reception the correct length is reasonable without an amplifier, about 3 feet in length. But in the case of AM the correct length is many times the length of the car. Not really practical. But in any case, the amplifier should be in the receiver and not in-line so that it will match the circuits in the radio. Amplifiers in line are a Micky Mouse solution to a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put a "Shark II" on my Supra. Since it's "powered" you have to find a hot wire for it. It worked well with no issues. Pics:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts