Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the black bezel just below my 2001 CVT Insight's radio has been getting shiny just below the volume knob. Then today I observed what I thought was some grey debri in that area. Turns out the plastic bezel is actually painted black and not formed from black plastic. The grey is the true plastic's color showing as the black paint is coming off. I find it rather cheap of Honda to paint grey plastic black, rather than forming it from black plastic. It's bad enough the dash trim is painted silver. Now I'm wondering if my windshield dash is painted black and will peel down the road too.

Cheap Honda.....very cheap!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Honda pioneered the one piece dash years ago. At that time no one else had had succeeded in manufacturing such a large and complex molded piece for cars.

The entire outside of your Insight is painted: plastic, aluminum, and steel. Does that make it cheap too?

Unless you have a pet that uses your dash as a scratching post, I think you should relax. Nevertheless, I maintain you are entitled to your opinion.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b1shmu63 said:
The entire outside of your Insight is painted: plastic, aluminum, and steel. Does that make it cheap too?
Cerainly not, because the outside paint is designed for the elements. The only thing that touches my radio bezel is my finger (and not my nail). You believe my finger causing the paint to come off is quality? Would it not have been better for Honda to Have molded this bezel from Black plastic (instead of grey painted black), considering it is in an area that is subject to being touched frequently (unlike the cars exterior). I'm surprised the freaking radio button itself isn't painted plastic too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, I think the radio button is white underneath the gray. 8)
I use Armoral protectant wipes for the plastic and rubber of the interior. It leaves a sort of slippery silicone film on everything you touch frequently.

On a quality note, have you noticed just how flimsy the car is compared to other models in the price range (Civic, Corolla, etc.). One example is the windsheild wipers. I think Honda did sacrifice a little in terms of fit and finish to develop an affordable first hybrid ever.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ok resist

get creative with a sharpie(tm) and call it done....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Resist said:
You believe my finger causing the paint to come off is quality?
Yes. Your finger is abrasive and is rubbing that area over and over. In my company's shop there are CNC machines and such where employees' fingers/hands/arms have worn off all kinds of finishes and have polished the underlying metal to a high sheen.

2006 MT Blue #643
Complete fuel usage log: http://ethicalpaul.com/insight/

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand a finger can be abrasive to an area over time, my point is however, that Honda knowing this could have matted that area better. My radio knob is fine, becaue it is not painted, it's black plastic. If the radio bezel was made in black plastic instead of gray plastic there wouldn't be a problem. Area that can wear should not be painted but molded in the intended color.

Imagine if computer keyboards a light color and then painted their color. The keys would look like junk after a short time as the paint wore off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Paint can be removed by oils and solvents...

Imagine if computer keyboards a light color and then painted their color. The keys would look like junk after a short time as the paint wore off.
Funny you mention this... I just replaced a major brand keyboard because the paint wore off and I could no longer tell what key was what. I can touch type reasonably good, but its still annoying to look at. Of course after 5 years of heavy use, it was time to retire it I suppose. Another case of this I've seen was that some time back I had a 1990 Subaru where the factory radio had beige buttons that were painted silver with black letters, and the paint eventually (partially) wore away leaving ugly beige buttons.

From talking with people, I've heard that its not just the abrasiveness of your finger touching it over the years, but a much larger part of this is the oils in your skin and anything additional that is on your fingers (fast food grease?). For example, if you recently Purell'ed your hands and didn't wait long to touch something this leaves unevaporated alcohol on your skin which is a mild solvent...

Of course, part of this is also the type of paint used, and Honda could have evaluated wear and tear and put a nicer quality paint, so I am not completely excusing them... just contributing ideas as to why this kind of thing happens. :)

-Shawn

P.S. If you want to see a similar crazy reaction like this, use a plastic polystyrene (not clear acrylic) knife to cut up an orange... that really freaks people out. :) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts