Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in the new AM/FM/CD player the other day and it worked fine (after I hooked up the powered antenna for AM)...that is, until I drove the car.
Seems that every time the IMA is at work assisting or regenerating I get a squealing noise thru the speakers.
Does anyone have a fix here, or did I miss something? I remember from years ago we used to have to attach a condensor on the 12 volt line (or something like that) to prevent generator or alternator interference.

Thanks guys !

Tman

·
Registered
47 Posts
my experience has been, that if the squealing pitch rises and falls with the RPMs, then it's a GROUND wire issue. you'll need to find a better ground.

i grounded my stereo system to the bolt that secures the seat track. if that doesn't work, see if you can route the ground back to the negative battery terminal.

also, route your power cable(s) as far away from the speaker wires, RCA wiring, etc. as you can.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,300 Posts
Resurrecting an old title.

I'm having bad radio interference when on FM near the 90MHz end of the band, only when the ignition is ON, when the car is off. I get no interference when the ignition is at the first position. Leads me to believe it's coming from the electronics in the back. There is still interference when driving but it sounds the same, i.e. not engine related. My other car has no problem on the same station at the same physical location. Since I've been listening to the radio more recently I can't say if this is new. I tried a new/different ground wire to different ground points and a different ancillary antenna. Neither helped. I unplugged my OBD2C&C with no help. Heater fan is off. The interference seems to be less at the other end of the radio band. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
Seems you have a political radio, some problems from the far right and a lot of problems from the far left.
(NEW MEDS)

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
Do you have the IPU cover off? If so, then you have eliminated the metal Faraday shield around the noisy IMA electronics. Still, I don't notice this on my car and my cover is off:unsure:

Drive faster then the interfering radio signals won't be able to catch up with your car:LOL:

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,300 Posts
My IPU cover is on but not secured.
Is there a way to isolate the power supplies or anyother possible source by removing fuses one at a time? I was thinking not. How can the BMS or MCM be isolated separately? Is it possible to isolate the DC-DC?

·
Super Moderator
9,302 Posts
You might try putting in the IPU bolts. If your BCM/MCM "frame" connects to the cover, that would ground the cases. Now that I think of your pictures, I seem to remember that you have a conductive spacer between that frame and your battery rack, so they should be grounded. I guess I don't see any source of radiation except the wires which has alway been there - a constant from OEM.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,300 Posts
I have the 1/4" plate aluminum bolted to the car. My BCM/MCM modules are connected to ground through the 'frame', through the plate to car ground. I think that's ok. Great idea. Anybody have any more.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
There's so much RFI from the IMA, and so varied, depending on what you're doing (assist, regen, idle, DCDC low power or not, etc.) that I once thought it'd be interesting to record the AM radio output while driving. It's like a soundscape of all the electronic components and operations going on. Even just sticking a microphone in the IPU would be interesting, lots of different sounds going on...

·
Linsight Designer
2,792 Posts
If you haven't definitively determined this is an IMA issue, the first troubleshooting step I can offer is to unplug fuses until the problem goes away. You mentioned the IMA cover isn't bolted down... that's really important for RF shielding, so if you determine that unpowering the IMA circuitry causes the RF noise to go away, then I'd bolt the IMA bay closed and see if it goes away.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
1,300 Posts
@mudder. You hit the nail on the head! Absolutely correct! I secured the cover on all sides and the noise went away. Before I had the cover on with the holes lined up and got noise. I didn't realize how insidious the noise was or how making the cover tight and secure was no necessary. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts