Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be getting a 2004! Anyway, I've got an ipod and I want to play it through the radio. I don't want to use the little fm transmitter which means I have to patch into the radio. (It has the CD so I can't use a cassette adapter)

I figure there must be a jack for the optional CD changer in the back of the radio somewhere. Can anyone tell what size jack it is so I can get an adapter? I guess I also need to know where it is. Any schematics on the web?

Thanks in advance for the info,

David

G

·
0 Posts
david said:
Looks like I'll be getting a 2004! Anyway, I've got an ipod and I want to play it through the radio. I don't want to use the little fm transmitter which means I have to patch into the radio. (It has the CD so I can't use a cassette adapter)

I figure there must be a jack for the optional CD changer in the back of the radio somewhere. Can anyone tell what size jack it is so I can get an adapter? I guess I also need to know where it is. Any schematics on the web?

Thanks in advance for the info,

David
You need a protocol converter, aka auxilary adaptor. It plugs into the CD changer DIN on the back of the head unit and gives you RCA inputs. Crutchfield sells them, as do many others. Look for HON-AUX (as in Honda Auxilary).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just called Crutchfield and the guy I talked to said they didn't have anything of the kind. I went back to their website and had no luck with my own search. Could it be too new for them to know about? Would it be possible to give me a URL for the How 'bout some place like radio shack?

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I've ordered it. Does anyone know if I have to take the car apart or will I be able to reach up behind and snap it in?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course I'd just look, but I don't get the car till Thursday...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I meant to put this together a long time ago (considering I upgraded my deck about a year ago) and now that it's thursday you may have already opened up the dash. Anyways, here is a section of the how-to page I hope to have up and running soon.
Removing the Deck

Comments and suggestions about it are welcome. It is a work in progress and needs a fair amount of time to finish.

Hope it helps you out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the info. The HON-AUX actually showed up the day I flew to Seattle to get the car. I'll probably start taking things apart this weekend so thanks directions. I could see myself making a m,ess of things.

Here's a question. In the directions it says for some things to hook up the ground wire and for others not too (if I'm reading things right). What's the experts advice?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The first site returned by the Google search el_vacho provided says the following:

IMPORTANT TECH NOTICE: A ground wire is now included with the HON-AUX and should be connected to chassis ground when connecting a portable device powered by its own battery source. This is only to be used when connecting a portable powered device to the RCA inputs. Connecting the ground wire when installing a vehicle powered device, that is a portable device that draws its power from the vehicle in some way, like the cigarette lighter, will cause engine noise.
Since you will be using an iPod it looks like you will need to attach the ground wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey David, I just joined the forum earlier today.

I am thinking about getting a 2006 Silver Insight.

Believe it or not, as advanced as the car is, they STILL do not offer an Aux Input plug in the car! I have a Creative Zen Personal Media Center (a fancy Mp3 player) that I would like to be able to use in it.

I've had very little luck with my FM transmitter in my current vehicle, so a direct connection to the factory radio would be ideal.

Has it worked well for you? Any problems during the install? How are you liking the car?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't looked at this site for months and the day I do I have a message!

Yes, the Hon/AUX has worked great. The car is great as well. I just went from L.A. to San Francisco and back for the holidays and still had gas in the tank!

I've never had a car with a great sound system in it so I'm probably not the best judge, but the ipod running through the Insight radio sounds spectacular to me.

It wasn't hard to put in either although getting the dash piece around the radio back in place took a couple of tries. There are a bunch of little clips that don't seem to want to go in naturally and take some coaxing. It worked though and everything came out great.

Good luck in your Insight quest!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts