Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the insight standard air filter with a new air filter that I can clean myself, but would also perform better then OEM such as more power at WOT and/or better removal of dirt particles.

I have looked at K/N filters, but after seeing some of there filters, it just makes me worry as it looks like more dirt would past through the filter then standard OEM filters. I was looking in to foam filters and found a company that looks like they make a standard replacement for the insight.

Here is the website:
http://www.raid-rdi.com/english/index.html
Part #: 521175

I was wondering if anyone has used this filter before? And if anyone could provide any other thoughts?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those foam ones look pretty cool. I know there is another performance filter brand in the US, the filters are green and I think they are called green monster or something. They have better flow than K&N and I think they filter to a smaller size particle. They are also cleanable like K&Ns. I'll repost with the specific brand name if I can find it, but they should be pretty common.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
All foam filters are crap. :)

In the RX-7 world, there is a particular company that make a foam filter for all generations of RX-7. That filter is the worst filter I have ever seen. Massive buildups of dirt is visible in the intake tract of every car I have seen with this filter installed. Because the pores in the foam are so large, dirt easily bypasses the filter. The foam has also been known to break up and get sucked into the engine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Green Filter USA

And yes on all counts, they have better air flow than K&N, they filter to a smaller particle size than K&N, and they are (according to the site) easier to clean and will last much longer than K&N.

They say they have a lifetime warranty.

They are NOT foam, they are cotton like K&N. But the green filters are woven cotton which after reading the info sheet does make it sound a lot better than cotton gauze.

But I think they are a little more expensive...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ohh wow, green filter usa finally has the Insight filter! I've been waiting on that for a while. A bit pricey though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The K&N is already a lifetime filter. It might be hard to last longer then that. ;)

The real question is whether flow actually matters or not. If you are looking to remove restrictions in the intake, you need to look at other areas like the fresh air inlet tube and tube to the throttle body. Being long and with a narrow diameter, they are quite restrictive. Any aftermarket filter will do fine as long as it's not foam, because the engine can only flow so much air, which is far less then the filter is capable of.

This is true of any aftermarket intake. Most of what you see is hype.

·
Registered
466 Posts
and when you consider thet most insighters are trying to drive with the smallest possible throttle opening to maintain speed, the filter is even less of an issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Foam air filters have the best filtering capability. I can’t speak for the mentioned brand but, don’t discount a foam filter properly designed and oiled. I have raced and ridden off-road motorcycles for the past 24 years. K&N filters have a bad reputation in the desert. Their hard rubber/urethane sealing surfaces require too much pressure from a plastic air box to seal well (sealing grease helps here). The filter element is too coarse to use with out an Outerware. I’ve seen many K&N filters and some foam filters allow fine dust to pass through. A bare K&N filter will even allow some fine sand to get through. The only solution we as racers have found is to use dual density foam filter with thick sticky foam filter oil such as Twin Air and sealing grease around all sealing surfaces. With that being said, you may ask what I run in the Insight. I use a K&N filter. The ease of maintenance and availability of the K&N make it my choice for the street. Now if I were to build an Insight rally car, that would be another story. I don’t know the quality of the foam filters in question but if properly prepped a quality foam filter will out filter everything out there. I can’t speak for horsepower but my guess would be the K&N would make more power than everything else being that is does flow well (dust and sand included). Please post your results.

Todd

·
Registered
147 Posts
:p sweet, greenfilter... :shock: $56 bucks :?:
:evil:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I realize that pretty much all aftermarket filters are more hype than anything else. But I have been pretty dissapointed with the K&N that I put in my 4runner a while ago. It clogs up waaay faster than the paper filter, and like you said I find A LOT of dust and even sand in the bottom of my filter canister.

I have yet to actually use a green-filter, but I have seen one outperform a K&N. Do you remember those little auto shop displays where you could swap a stock paper filter and the K&N filter into the little plexi glass box with the ping-pong ball in the tube at the top? The green filter clearly had the highest flow. I know that is a far from scientific test, but it must count for something, it reduces the variables about as much as you can.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that people were looking for alternatives to the stock paper filter, when I replace mine, I'm going to buy a green-filter. Look at the green filter website, look at the K&N filter website, or stick to stock, I agree that the filter on this car in particular really won't make that much difference, but if you are going to upgrade you might as well take a look at all your options before you decide.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Todd said:
Foam air filters have the best filtering capability. Todd
Not in my experience. It's the exact opposite from everything I have seen. The absolute best filters are oil bath filters, but they have never (nor will ever) be used on a consumer vehicle. The 2nd best filters are the OEM style paper element filters, but they are disposable and fairly restrictive. 3rd are the K&N style filters which are less restrictive and reusable. And at dead last, the foam filters. I can always tell a car with a foam filter because the entire intake tract is covered in a light coat of dust and oil. Even lawnmower manufacturers have moved off of foam filters in the last few years.

·
Registered
152 Posts
All these reuseable filters sound like a good waste of a Saturday morning.
10 minutes to swap a stock one every 30 - 50 K miles is so much easier.
Less stinking up the garage or kitchen sink too.
You'll never see any measureable difference in performance.
But lots more time dikin around under the hood. Your call.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oil Bath Air Filters

Starting to show my age,but WHEN SOMEONE SAYS "NEVER",they just ask for it.ALL cars had oil bath air cleaners in the 1940's into the late 50's.My 88 model Land Rover of the 70's with the topic roof package had a oil bath air cleaner.Sorry but never say NEVER.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Todd said:
I can’t speak for the mentioned brand but, don’t discount a foam filter properly designed and oiled.
Aaron Cake said:
Even lawnmower manufacturers have moved off of foam filters in the last few years.
I guess I should have said a properly prepared foam filter is best first thing. 95% of the foam filters out there are not serviced properly. I’m not sure why people think a piece of dry foam will act as a filter. As far as oil bath filters go, they are not a performance item by any means and belong on a tractor. VW was great at using oil bath filters also. I will take a K&N over a paper filter any day. I don't know if you've ever seen a wet paper filter but they are not a suitable filter after getting wet and a paper filter is easy to damage with bugs, twigs, etc.

tuna1 said:
My 88 model Land Rover of the 70's with the topic roof package had a oil bath air cleaner.Sorry but never say NEVER.
VW was great at using oil bath filters into the 70's also.

nortoncomando said:
All these reuseable filters sound like a good waste of a Saturday morning.
True but having the right air filter on hand at all times is nice. With your screen name I assume your into motorcycles also. On a green note, you should know of No-toil the foam filter oil. It's Bio-degradable filter oil and cleaner that you can wash down the drain and prevent filling the landfills with spent paper filters. The stuff that comes out of K&N filters is not very nice and makes a big mess to get rid of.

To each his own. Isn't America great? :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts