Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of times that the tires are inefficient or "scary in the rain." Now I'm worried about driving through a heavy rain. I've only had my Insight for 4 days and I love it, but can someone comment on this for me? How does the Insight perform in a downpour? We have a lot of quick and wet thunderstorms in my area this time of year. :cry:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've driven mine in complete downpours (I'm in CT, go figure, all we've had for the past couple of months), it handles just fine. Didn't make me feel any less safe than driving my previous car (Mazda Protege).

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
That's where all the adrenalin we're holding back from driving sanely under all other conditions can be spent :!: :p Ever been ice skating :?: :p

Seriously, its not that different than any other car. Its just the LRR tires are a _bit_ slipperier on wet surfaces. Take her out on a "special" trip in the rain and in a low traffic area starting at low speeds test the limits.

If you really don't like the tires you've got no where else to go but up with different tires :) :!: (at a varying MPG cost :( )

See:

Tire Comparison Test
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 38&start=0

And if you need a really heavy adrenalin dose, don't forget the _extremely_ dangerous road conditions especially as the rain is just starting. All the little accumulated oil drips on the road are spread before their washed off. Won't matter if you in your brother in law's Escalade as far as slipperiness goes. :shock:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only time that I've been a bit anxious while in the rain was when I was on a highway that had significant ruts in the roadway. The Insight's tires don't like ruts much, add some rain and it gets a little more nutty. But nothing dangerous.

And as far as control, I drove on I-90 in Buffalo with up to an inch of snow on the highway, with a bunch of other cars and trucks alongside. It wasn't fun, but the Insight handled as well as every other car.

Editted to add "of snow" to the sentence... can't believe I forgot that tiny little nugget of info :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
i actually think that my insight handles better in the rain than my civic did. i think this is because the thinner tires tend to get on top of water on the road less. i definately don't hydroplane as much at high speeds...

however it's pretty easy to slip round at lower speeds if i want to.... something i had trouble with in the civic.

so yeah... no clue what that actually means

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The smaller tire foot print grips less than other larger tires. But it's that way with any small car. I ran mine in rain with 50 psi all around. Just remember to be more cautious and it will be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rain

My input on this topic would be that I ride and drive in big Ford E450 Ambulances at speed in all types of conditions, and I feel much safer driving my Insight. I do agree with the previous comment about grooved roads though, the Insight as well as my 95 Civic VX, can be very squirrely on those conditions. Happy motoring!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Sherrisue, what part of NC are you in? I have had my 2006 Insight for about 2 months now and we drove it home from Southern Pines to Apex in absolute torrential downpour. Scared the daylights out of me to be driving a brand new car in home in that mess!!! The Insight did great. No problems.
Since then, we have had Tropical Storm Alberto pass through. I had to drive to work in it that morning and once again, my little space bug did not waiver for a moment. Don't worry. All will be fine.

Katie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Greensboro, NC. I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems. If you live in Raleigh, you experience the same conditions that I do.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did drive it in the rain last night and had no problems. I didn't go far, but at least now know that it isn't a go cart in the rain.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The Insight is a marvelous automobile. Whenever someone asks me about the car, I say the only thing Honda sacrificed in making it was 'space'. It isn't a go-cart! Enjoy your motoring in it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've driven in many heavy downpours and never had a problem with traction. The narrow tires are less likely to hydroplane than wider ones.

You will find that your fuel economy goes down, though. This is true of any tire, it's just more apparent on the Insight since everything else is so efficient. If you've ever tried to run with your legs underwater you'll understand why the FE decreases.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Resist said:
The smaller tire foot print grips less than other larger tires.
This is more complex an issue than it seems. I think in this case, what you said is false. In the case of heavy rain/hydroplaning concerns, a smaller foot print is better.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
ethicalpaul said:
I think in this case, what you said is false.
True (it is false) in the whole context of the thread, "rain".

But it is true in the context of most other pavement conditions. When there's more rubber to meet the road there's the potential for better adhesion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought I was pretty clear in stating that I was speaking in terms of rainy conditions, but thanks for agreeing with me :)

Your generalization might be incorrect in more cases than you are thinking, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts