Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from work today to find my driver side window smashed, and the side mirror broken off. A neighbor who witnessed the vandalism says that a very loud car (in apparently rough shape, there's a trail of oil all the way down the street) drove down the street, then came back around the street again, three guys piled out, smashed up my Insight a bit, then piled back into the car and sped away. The descriptions of the persons involved don't match anyone I've ever even met to my recollection and certainately not anyone I can see having a beef with me. Further inspection showed a dent in the body, and a small but deep gouge in the paint which goes down to the bare metal.

Is this just something random that happens sometimes? I've never heard of it happening in the city I live in, but perhaps it is common in larger centers. Is it probable that they were just random hooligans who chose my car as a target because it looked unusual?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Foxpaw:

___Sounds random and you are probably correct that they went for an unusual automobile thinking it was an exotic or something. Unfortunately, it is an exotic and you have some work in front of you to bring her back to a pristine state. I am sorry that there are individuals in the US that would do this kind of thing :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:m5xs5rd1][email protected][/email:m5xs5rd1]

·
Registered
700 Posts
Whoa...

Sorry to hear that.

If only that oil trail would lead us right to them... :twisted:

No chance the neighbor got a tag number, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Hope you reported it as soon as possible. If I saw this in a movie I would think it was an exaggeration. What twisted logic could compel these creeps other than irrational hate? Really sorry to hear this. :(

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Low life criminals don't use logic in anything they do. They are the minority in the human race yet, they get the majority of safe guards and protections under the law, after they are caught. More than the honest law abiding person gets. It's just a shame these slugs get more rights.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holicow said:
Whoa...

Sorry to hear that.

If only that oil trail would lead us right to them... :twisted:

No chance the neighbor got a tag number, eh?
No license plate number unfortunately. The oil trail in fact probrably could be followed right to their home since it's not exactly a sparse trail, but I the police didn't seem to think that the oil trail was of any significance.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Foxpaw said:
the police didn't seem to think that the oil trail was of any significance.
Sorry to hear about your car. Also sorry to say, your above quote seems to be the norm rather than the exception. After suffering through several thefts/break-ins in college, I found that I would often times be able to point out evidence to the police, but they rarely seemed interested in doing any investigaiton. ie, mention surfaces that the perps would have touched, shoe prints, or your oil trail and it's "probably nothing"

If it were me, I would definitely hit the trail of that oil slick...if for nothing more than to satisfy my own curiosity. Keep your eyes peeled and if at all possible, set up video on your car, at least for a while...sometimes these fools may be repeat offenders...especially if they are locals.

Good Luck

Corey

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Foxpaw said:
The oil trail in fact probrably could be followed right to their home since it's not exactly a sparse trail, but I the police didn't seem to think that the oil trail was of any significance.

Oil on the road doesn't mean anything, you would have to prove the oil came from their car. Even I could disprove this as evidence. Their finger prints on your car is evidence, common engine oil on a public road is not. I guess if you found their car and had its engine oil analyzed and it matched perfectly to the oil in the road, you could prove they were on that spot at sometime. But then you have to prove they were there the night your car got damaged and that they did it. This much investigation won't happen unless it's a murder case.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I don't have any solid way of backing up the oil like that, only the witness testimony of my neighbor. After they sped away he came outside and said the oil was wet and warm on the road. Also there's a big puddle at the point where they stopped.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For one brief year, Dilbert was a TV series on the UPN network. A co-worker dented Dilbert's car with his two-story off-road truck and off course a complete horses' rear. Dilbert had him linked with DNA, video-cams, etc... :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Damn break-ins

My crx got the driver side window broke out one time while I was on a graveyard shift at my job. Nothing stole, it pissed me off more that they didn't steal anything. Maybe something scared them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Foxpaw said:
After they sped away he came outside and said the oil was wet and warm on the road. Also there's a big puddle at the point where they stopped.

Again that is not proof it came from their car. Not would similiar oil down the road be proof it was the same cars oil.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Resist said:
Again that is not proof it came from their car. Not would similiar oil down the road be proof it was the same cars oil.
I suppose it is not "proof" in the capital murder sense of the word...as some west coast individuals have shown...even a trail of blood isn't "proof"

But if the OP, or the cops would take a few seconds to follow this trail...and just happen to find a clapped out car like the neighbors describe and a group of individuals like the neighbor describes, you are starting to gather EVIDENCE.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
And you really think any law enforcement agency is going to track down a car of people that smashed another car by their oil trail. Get real here! Just let the insurance company handle it. Real life detective work is not like TV detective work.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi Foxpaw,

Very much sorry about that bad incident. Just because I like to beleive that 'humans' are not that stupid, is there a possibility that the neibour did not see correctly.

Here is something I saw a few years ago:

A car rides on the street and the driver is on the phone. He is not going straigth and his mirror hits a parked car mirror. The mirror breaks and is thrown into the side window. It breaks the window also. The people onboard stops and gets out to see the result of the accident. Panics and goes back into the car. Gets away with the gas foot to the floor.

Any chance that it is what happened to your car. Else maybe the capital punishment should make a come back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Resist said:
And you really think any law enforcement agency is going to track down a car of people that smashed another car by their oil trail. Get real here! Just let the insurance company handle it. Real life detective work is not like TV detective work.
Do I think the police *should* try to do it...yes...I think Foxpaw should see some return on his tax dollars. Do I think they *will* do it...heck no.

I've never seen cops even the slightest bit interested in investigating any crime I've suffered. Biggest theft I've personally been through was ~$9000 between me and two roommates in college. They took down a list of what was missing, said they would "let us know" and left.

Like I said...the oil is not *proof* but it can be the start of a trail of *evidence*. If the cops were at the scene...at some point they have to leave the scene. Would it be so hard to say "When we leave, we will follow the trail and have a look...chances are, we won't find anything, but if we do we will go from there"

It has been my experience the low-lifes like that rarely just go out, smash a window, then return to life as a model citizen. If the police would spend 2 minutes doing their job...who knows what they might uncover...theft, drugs...?

You say "let insurance handle it"...as if that is some big free pot of gold that we can all dip into in time of need. In real life, that money just comes from the sweat of the average working Joe.

I guess the bottom line is that I hate to see yet another (AFAIK) decent, honest person get victimized. Sure the insurance co. can pony up for the bill and if he is lucky, he won't get dropped for being "high risk" or have the premium go up so that he pays for the window 3x over. And maybe the criminals will commit other crime big enough to actually draw the attention of the police and get what they deserve.

Corey

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
(post edited by moderator - mind the attitude)

I do agree that criminals have more rights than the rest of us. I don't like it but they do, thanks to current laws. It's not the cops fault, it's the laws. Don't you think cops get frustrated when they put months of time into a murder case only to have the low life get off through a loophole?

The more factual information and evidence you can provide them for your case the better. There are priorities and you can't expect them to spend more time on vandalism cases over murder cases. And I certainly wouldn't want them to spend more time on your case over a murder case. Law enforcement is about time management using limited resources.

Insurance can replace the car but not a life. Is it an easy out, yes. But insurance companies themselves do the same thing when they decide a car cost more to repair than fix, even though it is fixable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
comprehensive insurance

losses from vandalism do not normally increase insurance premiums as comprehensive losses do not either. For instance, a deer hit is a comp. coverage and not chargeable to the policy holder as a potential increase in premium. A glass replacement, comprehensive, does not trigger an increase. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts