Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2020 Honda Insight Touring and drove it 1200mi which has been great. Something I noticed when I first started the car and wait for the gas engine turn on is both feeling and hearing a deep rumble that isn't a consistent rhythm. The kind you hear when you start lets say a beefed up BMW. I guess I wasn't expecting a deep AND inconsistent rumble on start. It doesn't happen if I start it again after driving a bit but only if I'm starting the car after its been off for a while. Is this norma? Anyone else notice it when they sit in parked while the gas engine turns on? My apologies if this question was already asked elsewhere. I didn't want to take it in yet because I can't reproduce it at the dealership if I drive it in. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2020 Honda Insight Touring and drove it 1200mi which has been great. Something I noticed when I first started the car and wait for the gas engine turn on is both feeling and hearing a deep rumble that isn't a consistent rhythm. The kind you hear when you start lets say a beefed up BMW. I guess I wasn't expecting a deep AND inconsistent rumble on start. It doesn't happen if I start it again after driving a bit but only if I'm starting the car after its been off for a while. Is this norma? Anyone else notice it when they sit in parked while the gas engine turns on? My apologies if this question was already asked elsewhere. I didn't want to take it in yet because I can't reproduce it at the dealership if I drive it in. Thank you for any help.
I had to join here and reply to you as I think I am having the same issue.
I hear it in the transmission housing, almost like something is knocking around in there.
I managed to get a video of it and also scheduled an appointment at the dealer next week.

I hope you are still around to see my reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please share what you hear back? I have a feeling it’s actually normal based on the design of the engine. I’ve driven mine 3k miles and so far so great. But I’d love to hear what Honda says. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that rhythm of the sound from the video is what I hear without being able to hear the low rumblings that it actually is. It happens for me when the gas engine is running. I Can feel it in the car if I were to be idle and not in motion every time the engine runs. It seems normal in how the engine is designed but now I want to go sit in someone else’s insight to confirm it’s normal lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I had the dealer look at it and they had to contact Honda Tech line. They said it was normal :(😠
Said it was from the way the flywheel engages to the trans.
I may have to try another dealer.
To me, it just ain't right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like something similar to my rough start issue I had... there were definitely some heavy vibes that seemed sporadic and not happening every time the engine started but yeah.... turned out my valves just needed an adjustment... it was about the 60k mile mark when the issue started and just finally found the fix at 90k. Even the dealership techs were stumped when trying to diagnose the problem... I didn't have any of the tell-tale valve clacking noises, but once I got it opened up sure enough some were too loose and some too tight. After the adjustment I haven't had an issue since... even in the colder weather. Worth a look if you ask me :) good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts