Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2000 insight 5 days ago. No unknown issues until last night.

Coming to a stop, auto shutoff happens fine. Put the car back in gear, and everything dies. No headlights, gauges, anything. It's totally dead. The IMA light at the time was over 3/4 full.
Pushed it off the road, and tried messing with the battery wires under the hood.
Nothing happened.
About 5 minutes later, everything came back on like nothing was wrong, but the battery gauge now read only 1 bar. Started up and drove away. 1 mile later, exact same thing happened. Then a few minutes later, back to having power again, with the battery guage reading almost full again. Drove home, making sure to avoid auto-off.

Coasted into my drive, purposefully activating auto-off, and it was fine. Couldn't make it lose power again.

This morning, the car was totally dead again.

I'm going to start with getting a new 12v battery and checking the ground straps. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought my 2000 insight 5 days ago. No unknown issues until last night.

Coming to a stop, auto shutoff happens fine. Put the car back in gear, and everything dies. No headlights, gauges, anything. It's totally dead. The IMA light at the time was over 3/4 full.
Pushed it off the road, and tried messing with the battery wires under the hood.
Nothing happened.
About 5 minutes later, everything came back on like nothing was wrong, but the battery gauge now read only 1 bar. Started up and drove away. 1 mile later, exact same thing happened. Then a few minutes later, back to having power again, with the battery guage reading almost full again. Drove home, making sure to avoid auto-off.

Coasted into my drive, purposefully activating auto-off, and it was fine. Couldn't make it lose power again.

This morning, the car was totally dead again.

I'm going to start with getting a new 12v battery and checking the ground straps. Any other suggestions?
Well, I'd start with the obvious, Clean battery connections and any wires coming from or to the battery or ground connections. Inspect the ground straps in the engine bay, and all bolts pertaining to. Charge the battery fully, and do a battery load check and make sure the battery is fine. That's where I would start. Sounds like it only happened periodically when you put power to the wheels, so start there and update asap!

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
As suggested bad 12v battery and or bad grounds, including engine grounds and battery negative lead to chassis.

Your cars behaviour is totally consistent with these very common issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Got home and checked out the battery. It was pretty well shot. Also from 2006, so it had a good 13 years.

New battery installed and everything is working smoothly again, but I do have a question. I know i've read that the Dc-Dc converter is what charges the 12v battery. Does that ever shut off? On my phone (torque app), I'm seeing normal voltages from 13.5-14.1, but sometimes it drops down to 11.9-12.6. Is that normal on these cars?

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
tryingbe is the guy with the know how. He's helped me quite a few times. The computer charges and idles charging depending on rpm and load, if you cut the wire then it will act like a alternator and keep a constant charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
Monitoring the 12V system with one of these inexpensive cigarette lighter devices like these:

can sometime help spot problems. It is a good addition since the car doesn't have a real voltmeter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
millere5815
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing