Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - was a member here many many years ago and have forgotten all my login info.

Anyway, I'm an original owner, '06 CVT in Canada, about 90,000 miles, 100% stock. The main issue is that it randomly won't start. No lights on the dash, no sound turning the key. If I STOMP on the brake pedal it will occasionally start. The battery gauge states we will have Full battery, but at the same time will show the system charging even while accelerating. After a minute or two driving, we'll randomly lose half the battery, then 20 minutes later, suddenly gain it back in one big jump. In addition, For the last couple of years the Assist has been staying on far too long. Stays on even while no pressure on the pedal, just cruising.

No IMA light, no codes. Two dealers can't find the problem (one Canada, one USA). New 12v, new negative ground on the 12v, new ground under the air filter (the orig actually crumbled to dust in my hand when I replaced it earlier this year). When I replaced it, the car behaved normally all year, until a few days ago. Now it won't start. The ground on the firewall under the steering rack is original. Could it be causing all these problems?

Thx. Marty

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Hi everyone - was a member here many many years ago and have forgotten all my login info.

Anyway, I'm an original owner, '06 CVT in Canada, about 90,000 miles, 100% stock. The main issue is that it randomly won't start. No lights on the dash, no sound turning the key. If I STOMP on the brake pedal it will occasionally start. The battery gauge states we will have Full battery, but at the same time will show the system charging even while accelerating. After a minute or two driving, we'll randomly lose half the battery, then 20 minutes later, suddenly gain it back in one big jump. In addition, For the last couple of years the Assist has been staying on far too long. Stays on even while no pressure on the pedal, just cruising.

No IMA light, no codes. Two dealers can't find the problem (one Canada, one USA). New 12v, new negative ground on the 12v, new ground under the air filter (the orig actually crumbled to dust in my hand when I replaced it earlier this year). When I replaced it, the car behaved normally all year, until a few days ago. Now it won't start. The ground on the firewall under the steering rack is original. Could it be causing all these problems?

Thx. Marty
There are 2 more grounds to check, but his almost sounds like more of an ignition switch problem.

A "new" 12V doesn't always mean good. Next morning after 10+ hours of sitting, pop the hood and check the 12V. Should be > 12.5V or so with ignition off and doors closed.

The IMA battery behavior you describe sounds like a recalibration. Frequent recalibrations typically precede a battery failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were having an ignition switch problem, why isn't the car giving me a code? Nobody wants to touch it unless it gives them a code first, which is frustrating.

I've load tested the 12v a few times. It is definitely good.

Thanks for the warning on the battery! Sounds like I have multiple things going on simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Codes are generated by fault events detectable via sensors or other inputs. An electro-mechanical switch may not trigger a fault when it fails.

If the car is completely dark as you describe in every ignition switch position, that's what makes me think it's the physical switch.

Hopefully, someone who actually knows will chime in.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if this helps or not, but if I jiggle the key in the ignition or take it out and reinsert it a few times, sometimes the door ajar buzz/chime will sound, except very, VERY quietly.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,681 Posts
Lube the key part (tumblers) of your ignition switch with graphite. Sounds like a switch problem to me also. (Intermittent contact).
As a first step.
It is a CVT. DO you normally have to have your foot on the brake for starting.
You said assist do you mean regen light?
HTH
Willie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Willie. I'll try the graphite.
Yes, I have to have my foot on the brake to start the car. But turning the key should light up the gauges regardless and it doesn't.
And no... I mean assist. The assist will stay on at the lightest touch and stays on, draining the battery. It's like this about 75% of the time.

·
Linsight Designer
1,899 Posts
Make sure 12 volts is getting to the fuse panel under the steering wheel. To do this, turn the key on and measure any metal tab on top of any fuse... if you read 12.5 volts, things are good. Now turn the headlights on and see if the voltage drops to less than 11 volts. If so, you've got either a 12v or grounding issue.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but make sure your negative 12 volt ground lead and the two ground cables on the driver side engine bay are in good shape; they connect from the left wheel well chassis to the transmission. If either one is bad, your car's ground system will float all over the place, wreaking electrical havoc.

Once you'l verified the above, turn the key to on and measure the voltage at the cigarette lighter. If it's low, then you know the key contacts are worn out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mudder - thanks for the procedure. I don't have the tools to do it, however. As for the 12v, both cables are flawless. The battery terminals are perfect. I have removed and cleaned everything numerous times just to be sure. This is always where I start.

Based on the condition of the ground I replaced, I suspect the one under the steering rack is just as bad. But I can't reach it, and don't know of any other grounds to check. I'm very familiar with my car, but don't see a second ground cable on the driver's side. Where do I look?

Tried the graphite today - didn't work. (And the key itself is not worn at all, to the eye. Still looks brand new.) The car is totally dark.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Based on the condition of the ground I replaced, I suspect the one under the steering rack is just as bad. But I can't reach it, and don't know of any other grounds to check. I'm very familiar with my car, but don't see a second ground cable on the driver's side. Where do I look?.
I need some graphite in my lock, good idea. I dropped my keys in the snow and must have put them in wet the other day, ignition frozen in the am. oh well, wood alcohol to remove the ice then graphite for mine.
this one is known, so since only 4 images allowed:

G2 (CVT)

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unRThIVTdRbnRLSmM/edit&sa=D&ust=1481074265670000&usg=AFQjCNEBVcdGOycSb578IkfRp9NpzteE2Q

G2 (M/T)

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unV1daWUMyUkxGQlU/edit&sa=D&ust=1481074265671000&usg=AFQjCNFzmKiUAodAjdjRgR4cBiOyX-SBBg

G3 (CVT)

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unRThIVTdRbnRLSmM/edit&sa=D&ust=1481074265677000&usg=AFQjCNE51XSFSv-cx4XoS2--ed1aeFEBIg

G4

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6EDknyr-8unTVlzSnJqa0ZmYnM/edit&sa=D&ust=1481074265670000&usg=AFQjCNGxMS2xBPbRBi0i8rdxUwBH1RBpfQ

The stomping brake is shaking something ,likely on other side of firewall.
[images not showing but try following the links]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to say thanks - seems it's corroded grounds. Haven't even got around to replacing the one lower ground yet (transmission I think). I just replaced one ground bolt with a new one, and cleaned the two new straps (again!), and the car is starting and running fine. Hopefully it's not just a coincidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts