Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Insight new back in 2010. Today, March 2020, after driving 300K km, i decide to push it a little further after the low fuel indicator comes on. With a spare portable fuel tank in the car as a back up, just in case it dies on the me. I set one of the trip counter to zero as soon as the range indicated zero km was left. From last time, I knew my 2010 Insight was capable of over 80km after low range light came on. From the amount of fuel it took in last time, i calculated the insight was able to cover over 100km. Today, i was driving to the gas station, about 100 meter from the gas pump, while I was in line (at Costco) the car started hesitating. Normally, the condition of the car should put it in auto stop, it didn't this time as if the car knew I was running out of fuel. When I step on the gas pedal, it hesitated but moved up in line I had to turned the ignition key off to save the last drop of gas. After hesitating, moving up, turning ignition off, restarting a few times. I managed to pull next to the gas pump to fill it up.

Verdict:
for 2010 Insight, after the low range indicates there is 0 km left, it is capable to cover 107 km with the rate of consumption at 5 L/100 km. I top up the tank with 42.5 litre of gas. That is, even the manual indicates the tank capacity is only 40 litre, actually you can put in 42.5. Now, I know how far I can push after the range indicates there is 0 km left.

note: you might get a different milage from your Insight. My result is for reference only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I estimated 70 km but as I live in a hilly area reckon you're bang on
Your dash board will tell you L /100km.
I covered a little over 100km at 5L/100km. That means there was 5L of gas left after range indicated 0km. From your car's dash board display, you can estimate the milage left.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wouldn't want to drag any crap into the fuel lines- so when the warning light comes on( rarely) I immediately top up

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Good info, nice to know.
I often wait to fill well after the warning light comes on; I've been running up to 30 km past 0 with butt squeezed. I don't intend to take it past that but feel more reassured now.
I never got more than 39 liter in, topping off with 5 clicks (I only do that when I have to drive some afterwards; otherwise fuel may spill when it expands when it heats up).

I thought crap in the tank was no longer a thing with modern plastic fuel tanks?
Then, if you never ran it low you'd better not start doing so now. In my tank any crap will probably already have been drained out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2011. My fuel light comes on, I ignore it and I look at range display and it usually says 32 miles remain. I drive until it gets to 0 miles range remaining. At that point, I know from experience I have 0.6 gallons remaining. I can easily go another 20 miles when the range reads 0.

Not sure what that is in kilometers.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,705 Posts
IIRR, the "feds" have stipulated some eons ago that "When the low fuel light is illuminated, there shall be at least 1 gallon of fuel remaining in the gas tank."

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,772 Posts
No it was dumb, I kept getting distracted for 2 or 3 days in a row when I meant to fill up. I had to jog a mile and a half off the highway to get to a gas station and buy a gas can.

Before this happened I had kinda stopped paying attention to the light because it was so pessimistic and I'd regularly go 50 miles before filling up. (From the moment the light turned on.)

·
Registered
426 Posts
No it was dumb, I kept getting distracted for 2 or 3 days in a row when I meant to fill up. I had to jog a mile and a half off the highway to get to a gas station and buy a gas can.

Before this happened I had kinda stopped paying attention to the light because it was so pessimistic and I'd regularly go 50 miles before filling up. (From the moment the light turned on.)
?????

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You really should not keep a gas can in a car if you can avoid it in any way. It may leak, it could burst in a collision, it is a fire hazard.
And if you learn to depend on it it may bite you when you already used it and forgot to refill. How many warning lights does one need?

Reactions: Garrydhu

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A gasoline leak will cause gasoline to mix with the air in the space (boot). That mixture can (and will very likely) have explosive properties.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2011, recently the display has been giving low per-tank mileage, but previously...

Assuming the manual is honest saying the tank has 10.6 gal capacity, I found that the warning lite comes on with approx 2+ gallons left. That technically meas 100 US miles, but I memorize the 80 mile point and consider that to be the refill deadline. Usually don't tempt it beyond 40 miles, but when refilling the 2,5 gal heuristic always has proven to be accurate.

Had never heard of this stressing the fuel pump before, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts