Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a stock 2000 Insight with 77,000 miles and I am about to put on the 4th set of OEM tires. I initially kept tire pressure at the recommend 38/35 psi, but have increased to 40. The tires all wear out quickly on the edges with plenty of tread in the middle.

I read a few posts of owners keeping their tires at 50+". I am thinking about switching to a wider tire in hopes of longevity. I also would like to have better FE than my current Lifetime 56.4.

Any suggestions?

Clint :?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Any deviation from the oem tire will result in a 5 to 10+ mpg hit. I know some have gotten many thousands of miles out of their tires, but I replaced my original set at 27K. You might get slightly more even tread wear at 50psi, but probably nothing much with the pressure your currently running. Having plenty of middle tread left while the endges are worn seems pretty typical. Getting your allignment checked is probably a good idea if you haven't done so yet.

Keep in mind our Potenza's are only a 240 treadwear rating I believe so they are not a super high mileage tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
at 50psi I changed my at 75,000. I only changed them because they just barely failed inspection. I can't imagine any scenerio where I'd have to change them every 15k miles.

·
Registered
340 Posts
To add to what Rick said, it appears that the guys who get extra long mileage out of their tires are primarily highway commuters with long commutes. Your lifetime average may be because you do a lot of in town driving which will wear the tires out faster and depending on how you drive, that is a big factor too.
The wider tires will give you an even bigger hit when it rains.
When I switched back to the OEM tires from my Sumitomo's, my mileage picked up about 8- 9 mpg.
If the tires are wearing evenly on the outsides, I'd pump them up to at least 45, but higher would be better. If they aren't wearing evenly (inside or outside wearing more than the other), then it definitely is alignment time. If they are cupping, (scalloped edges on either inside or outside) then it shows it may be a shock problem.
Good luck with it.
robert

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Tire life experience... 50#s since new...

I'm extrapolating future tire life by eyeballing my fronts, but I do believe (at 25K) they'll go another 15K-20K before I have to replace my fronts. As is my habit on front drivers, I do NOT rotate the tires, leaving the rears to merely hold up the back end for (usually) the lifetime of the car (and they look pretty close to new). Our SW2 Saturn with 120K had both the rear originals changed at 90K, and only because we ran over something that cut the sidewall, and I like to buy in matched pairs. They still had another 15K-20K left on the tread. :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
bigtrouble77 said:
at 50psi I changed my at 75,000. I only changed them because they just barely failed inspection. I can't imagine any scenerio where I'd have to change them every 15k miles.

Why do I not believe you went 75k miles on the same tires? Mine were changed at 15k miles because the sidewalls were all cracked, the car is not garaged.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The original owner changed the tires at 44000. He ran 42 psi. I changed the next set at 50000. They had 60 psi in them for 20000. There was slight weather cracking before I raised the air pressure. The cracks did not change. There was no cord showing so I wasn't concerned. I had new oem tires installed and increased the pressure to 60 psi as soon as I got home. I hope to get 75000 from this set.
GET YOUR MONEY'S WORTH FROM YOUR TIRES!!!
If mine were changed at 15000, It would only be under warranty.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am in the same boat- 33,000 miles on the first set with plenty of tread in the center- 44 psi all the way around. I do rotate my tires at about 15,000. I am planning on going higher on the pressure once the rain has gone away for some length of time.

I now have 56,000 and am on tire set #2 and I can see #3 coming before I hit 70,000.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I didn't change my first tire until I was well in the 90K range. I still have one on the car that has well over 115K on it with 5/32 tread left. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All tires harden with age and therefore start wearing out at a slower rate. As tires harden their friction co-efficient reduces significantly. This is dangerous because many people assume that their 5 year old tires are still safe and good just because they have some reasonable tread depth. :shock:

From experience I won't drive on tires more then 3 or 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LoNOx 1 said:
If mine were changed at 15000, It would only be under warranty.
Not possible because Honda does not cover tires under warranty. You have to use the tire warranty. There warranty is shorter than if you bought new tires than what they provide with new cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire wear

I switched to Kumho 185/60 this last summer. Drastic improvement in handling, wet roads, and reduced road noise. But I still burned off about 1/3 the tread in 6 months. They're wearing very evenly. Using Blizzaks during the snow season. All the mountain driving (about 90%) = high tire wear. Oh well. At least the Kumho's are much less than the OEM tires. Might look at some other LRR tires for 2011 and maybe a wider snow tire than the 165/65 R14. Around here in California I still have to chain up with snow tires.

·
Registered
672 Posts
To add to what Rick said, it appears that the guys who get extra long mileage out of their tires are primarily highway commuters with long commutes. Your lifetime average may be because you do a lot of in town driving which will wear the tires out faster and depending on how you drive, that is a big factor too.
I don't understand why in town driving would significantly lower the life of tires (at least at a very large extent), unless you're accelerating to a point where the front tires are slipping, or braking to the point of sliding.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Why do I not believe you went 75k miles on the same tires? Mine were changed at 15k miles because the sidewalls were all cracked, the car is not garaged.
The prior owner of my Insight went 80k miles before changing the original tires (although he noted a 5ish MPG hit at the end of their life).

Your tires dry rot doesn't have anything to do with their potential longevity. You should think about using some protectant on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm on my third set on a 2006 first 66k second 72K third are now at 30K run all 4 @ 40 PSI rotate every 7500 It helps that I have a 108 mile commute each way every day. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't understand exactly why, but I think on non-directional tires, rotating can really help. Are you guys who are getting terrible wear rotating your tires?

FWIW, the prior owner of my car rotated every 10K (and got 80K out of them).

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
The prior owner of my Insight went 80k miles before changing the original tires (although he noted a 5ish MPG hit at the end of their life).

Your tires dry rot doesn't have anything to do with their potential longevity. You should think about using some protectant on the sidewalls.
Interesting, my rear tires were rotated and are very close to having the wear bars going flush. Based on that, I might just free up some MPGs by swapping them out. I'd just do the two because the front ones have plenty of tread left. I was going to wait until this winter to swap all 4 but with an MPG impact I might take care of the back ones sooner. My rear tires are cracked pretty bad too, I'm thinking the fronts were swapped to the back and had the fronts replaced once.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tires for us mountain folks

I may be the only one . . . . my relatively rapid tire wear is due to the mountain driving and especially my commute. Running a little late and I'm taking all the corners at 10-20mph beyond posted speeds, and its a country road where none of the corners are banked, and there are patches, potholes, and tree root ridges to bounce over.
60 miles round trip, 4,000 vertical feet gain / loss. 4-5 days a week.
Might also be the reason I'm on my third battery.

Days off - more mountain driving and occasional dirt road thrown in for fun.

Winter - dedicated Blizzak's on 14" steel rims.

The 185 Kumho's are worn out, and I'm once again pondering my options.
I don't think the 185 size helped with wear, though I did get about 40k out of them. Probably go back to a 175 (narrower for a little quicker handling). The Kumho's were a much better tire as far as traction, ride comfort, noise and wet roads, it was like I was driving a different car.

I don't get my tires rotated. Rotation only helps spread out uneven wear. The Kumho's wore very evenly expect for the last few months (probably need an alignment).

Looking at maybe trying Pirelli P4's. Good reviews from TireRack.

·
7,200 Posts
....how about you switch back to the Bridgestones, if you're concerned about fuel economy? :)

Then it would be like driving a different car. I hated the way Insight #2 felt with the 175mm tires on it, though they were just some cheap generic brand. There's nothing like the way the Insight rolls with the stock tires though. It's just so.. free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts