Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I noticed an odd, intermittent yet rhythmic grinding sound coming from the engine while driving. It almost sounded as if something was dragging on something else. There was a noticeable loss of power leading up to this, particularly when in 3rd gear.

After about 24hours of that noise, it stopped and was replaced by a louder rattling noise whenever I turn the engine over and drive. It is loud, so loud in fact that when I started the car in the parking lot at work, the person parked next to me said "That doesn't sound good."

I took it to my local non-Honda place and they said they thought it was the cam shaft bearings and said take it to a dealer. Another mechanic said that it sounded like the same thing and that if I continue driving on it, I will need a new engine soon.

This is a 2000 manual with about 120K miles on it. I recently replaced the sparkplugs, but I have noticed a loss of power in the past few weeks.

Any ideas what is wrong? I have an appt with the Honda dealer this week but I want to be able to at least give them some clue as to what is actually wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
From the sounds I would look at the camshaft chain. A stretched chain will retard your cam timeing and a loss of power in the lower rpm range will happen. Haven't heard of any going bad.
They will have to pull off the camshaft cover either way (bearings or chain). and they should be able to see whats wrong. :shock:

Willie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts